Pepper cory can't lie one the bottom

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Gunzer, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Gunzer

GunzerNew MemberMember

I introduced 3 pepper Corys less than a week ago. When the largest one attempts to just lay on the bottom, his body seems too boyant and begins to rise up. It's as if it has a gas bubble trapped inside it body that prevents him or her from settling on the bottom.

Any ideas or explanations would be greatly appreciated.:;a1

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

i have read somewhere that corys goto the surface to get air/release air, so they sink or rise more, but thats just something i read,
    is he bloated at all?

3. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Cories maintain a airbubble for bouncey. You see them race to the top gulp and go back down.
    Is it a tall tank?
    This would lend to a little panic for a cory that has never been so deep so he may gulp a little to much air to ensure he can get back to the top.
    He may have a little bouancey problem I have 2 albino pales same as your peppers that sit on the bottom with half the front of them off the bottom while the tail is on the bottom. There 4 years old and have been OK up till now.

4. OP
    OP
    Gunzer

GunzerNew MemberMember

My aquarium in not incredibly tall but probably twice as tall as the LFS's tank from which they came. I have fove of them. The largest is the only one that seems not able to just chill on the bottom without listing or rising slightly.

Having said that, all five of them are all over the place. They don't seem to be ascending for air constantly, just very active. They seem to chose to swim against the current produced by my filter. They also swim into the bubbles my two stones produce taking them on a express route to the top.

They're quite entertaining. Hope they survive a very long time.:;rocker

5. REDKAHUNA

Sounds like they are ready to spawn to me see any of them teeing up. Keep an eye out for eggs.

6. OP
    OP
    Gunzer

GunzerNew MemberMember

It's amazing that you mention that RK. I've never heard that expression before but it makes perfect sense regarding one of my Cory's behavior. With it's bottom close to the tank wall, it hovers vertically from head to tail oriented from 12 to 6.

Will these eggs, if laid already be fertilized? My four other pepper corys are much smaller, juvenile if I had to guess and may not be mature enough to fertilize eggs.

I must research this now, very cool.:;juggle

7. REDKAHUNA

The female will actually keep the sperm in her mouth and after laying place it all over the eggs. This is how I see it others have varied opinons.

During mating they form a T male sideways and female oriented mid body of male to create a T this is how she gets the sperm to spread on the eggs. THATS ALL I WILL SAY ABOUT THAT.

If the males are 1 inch plus they are plenty capable of fertilizing but only get better as they get older.

Good eggs will be amder to gold in color by 2nd day if they are clear or white the are no good.

8. OP
    OP
    Gunzer

GunzerNew MemberMember

Alright then, the shenanigans you've described aboved does not seem to be taking place. I appreciate the your explanation however. I knew these cats were coolO0