Pepper Corries in a 5 gallon tank

Lynxfishy

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new here and am also fairly new to fish keeping. I bought this vertical 5 gallon fish tank for my betta and when I was in Petsmart I was told I could keep a Pepper Cory in there with him. My betta fish really enjoys the Corry, but I was worried the Corry might be lonely and was wondering if it would be ok to add another in the tank? This tank will go in a dorm so I won't have much room for a much bigger one, but if this one didn't work would this 6.7 gallon one be better? 6.7 gallon tank here

Tank.jpg

Thanks!

Pfrozen

They're schooling fish so one is a no go. I saw a thread last week about petsmart, they told someone else the exact same thing lol. Apparently "not dying" means good to go!

Ideally, Corys should be kept in schools of 6 or more :)

Fishymom64

I would just add maybe three more? It would be a smaller school but I wouldn’t want to overpopulate the tank, especially with one so high. You definitely need to get him some buddies though. What an awesome tank on a side note!

kimsch1005

Lynxfishy said:
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new here and am also fairly new to fish keeping. I bought this vertical 5 gallon fish tank for my betta and when I was in Petsmart I was told I could keep a Pepper Cory in there with him. My betta fish really enjoys the Corry, but I was worried the Corry might be lonely and was wondering if it would be ok to add another in the tank? This tank will go in a dorm so I won't have much room for a much bigger one, but if this one didn't work would this 6.7 gallon one be better? 6.7 gallon tank here

Tank.jpg

Thanks!
5 gallons is definitely not big enough for corys. You need at least 6 corys for a proper school. Unfortunately what you have is even worse in terms of space for a cory because it is a tall tank, and doesn't provide much space at the bottom where corys spend most of their times scavenging.
This is not your fault, petstores often give out terrible and ill informed advice; their job is to make money after all.

If you're considering the 6.7 gallon, why not just make it a 10? With a 10 gallon you will have a way bigger footprint for the corys, you can add 5 more for a proper school. Plus a 10 gallon kit will run you the exact same if not cheaper than the kit you linked because it is such a standard size and readily available pretty much everywhere.

Space shouldn't really be an issue, a 10 gallon is still pretty small.

Pfrozen

Fishymom64 said:
I would just add maybe three more? It would be a smaller school but I wouldn’t want to overpopulate the tank, especially with one so high. You definitely need to get him some buddies though. What an awesome tank on a side note!
A 5 gallon tank is too small for even one pepper cory unfortunately. I had an emerald cory in my 10g and he was very cramped and lonely. I ended up rehoming him. I think if you put 4 peppers in a 5g you'll find them glass surfing and stressed out

Fishymom64

kimsch1005 said:
5 gallons is definitely not big enough for corys. You need at least 6 corys for a proper school. Unfortunately what you have is even worse in terms of space for a cory because it is a tall tank, and doesn't provide much space at the bottom where corys spend most of their times scavenging.
This is not your fault, petstores often give out terrible and ill informed advice; their job is to make money after all.

If you're considering the 6.7 gallon, why not just make it a 10? With a 10 gallon you will have a way bigger footprint for the corys, you can add 5 more for a proper school. Plus a 10 gallon kit will run you the exact same if not cheaper than the kit you linked because it is such a standard size and readily available pretty much everywhere.

Space shouldn't really be an issue, a 10 gallon is still pretty small.
I agree with this if it’s an option. A 10 gal would be best if you have the space.

Lynxfishy

Do you think just getting 1-2 more Corries would be over stocking/stressing them out? I was prepared to do 40-50% water changes weekly if I got that many? But wow thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Fishymom64

Lynxfishy said:
Do you think just getting 1-2 more Corries would be over stocking/stressing them out?
I think it would be too small for a school plus the right space. What is the biggest tank you have the space for? If you have the room I would at least get three (though as far as corys go the more the merrier).

kimsch1005

Lynxfishy said:
Do you think just getting 1-2 more Corries would be over stocking/stressing them out? I was prepared to do 40-50% water changes weekly if I got that many? But wow thank you everyone for the advice so far!
Unfortunately, yes. A 5 gallon portrait is not enough space for even one to be able to swim around, plus 3 is still not a proper school, albeit better than one alone. If I were you I would return the cory and explain they need more than 5 gallons and need to be in schools. I understand if thats not something you want to do, but if you cant get a full school the cory would be better off with others back at the store.

julifhy

Personally, I would either rehome the cory or get a bigger tank (10 gallons) for a school of 6 of them.

Lynxfishy

Fishymom64 said:
I think it would be too small for a school plus the right space. What is the biggest tank you have the space for? If you have the room I would at least get three (though as far as corys go the more the merrier).
I was hoping to stay with a 5 gallon because I don't think the desk I have can hold the weight of a 10 gallon? my 5 gallon is around 62lbs where a 10 gallon would be 111lbs. (according to google). That's why I thought maybe a 6.7 might work better? I have an older desk that I was planning to put the tank on and I guess I just worry something bad will happen if I get that heavy of a tank?

kimsch1005

kimsch1005 said:
Unfortunately, yes. A 5 gallon portrait is not enough space for even one to be able to swim around, plus 3 is still not a proper school, albeit better than one alone. If I were you I would return the cory and explain they need more than 5 gallons and need to be in schools. I understand if thats not something you want to do, but if you cant get a full school the cory would be better off with others back at the store.
I want to add that you CAN get tank-mates for the betta in the 5 gallon. Shrimp are an excellent option plus you can get quite a few. I've personally never had an issue with Bettas acting aggressive tpwards shrimp, but to minimize the chance start out by adding ghost or amano shrimp because they arent as brightly colored as, say, Cherry shrimp. You can also add 1-2 nerite snails. Both of these will also have the added benefit of eating algae and decaying leaves in the aquarium.

Fishymom64

Lynxfishy said:
I was hoping to stay with a 5 gallon because I don't think the desk I have can hold the weight of a 10 gallon? my 5 gallon is around 62lbs where a 10 gallon would be 111lbs. (according to google). That's why I thought maybe a 6.7 might work better? I have an older desk that I was planning to put the tank on and I guess I just worry something bad will happen if I get that heavy of a tank?
What about an eight gallon? They have a few “isolation/breeding” tank and make a few different models last time I checked. What’s really important is that it has the floor space that your 5 gallon just doesn’t have. Would that be an option?

kimsch1005

Lynxfishy said:
Hmm, right! Plus you have to consider other things added to the tank, rocks, filter, heater, etc that add weight. Could you try putting some of your body weight on the table? It would probably be okay. Also! Since a 10 gallon is longer than you're 5, the weight is going to be distributed quite a bit.

Lynxfishy

kimsch1005 said:
I want to add that you CAN get tank-mates for the betta in the 5 gallon. Shrimp are an excellent option plus you can get quite a few. I've personally never had an issue with Bettas acting aggressive tpwards shrimp, but to minimize the chance start out by adding ghost or amano shrimp because they arent as brightly colored as, say, Cherry shrimp. You can also add 1-2 nerite snails. Both of these will also have the added benefit of eating algae and decaying leaves in the aquarium.
Are ghost shrimp hard to take care of? Would my tank now be ok to put a few in (if I took the betta out first for a bit) or would I have to add something? Would one Otto catfish work?

Fishymom64 said:
What about an eight gallon? They have a few “isolation/breeding” tank and make a few different models last time I checked. What’s really important is that it has the floor space that your 5 gallon just doesn’t have. Would that be an option?
Those tend to run out of my budget (cliche poor college kid), but I think it'll be best if I just return my Cory since my tank isn't long enough. Thank you tons for your help!

Fishymom64

kimsch1005 said:
Hmm, right! Plus you have to consider other things added to the tank, rocks, filter, heater, etc that add weight. Could you try putting some of your body weight on the table? It would probably be okay. Also! Since a 10 gallon is longer than you're 5, the weight is going to be distributed quite a bit.
Lynxfishy said:
Are ghost shrimp hard to take care of? Would my tank now be ok to put a few in (if I took the betta out first for a bit) or would I have to add something? Would one Otto catfish work?

Those tend to run out of my budget (cliche poor college kid), but I think it'll be best if I just return my Cory since my tank isn't long enough. Thank you tons for your help!
i think that’s probably for the best. Ghost shrimp are super easy to take care of in my experience. I kept like 10 with my betta and he liked to watch them and sometimes flare up at them but he mostly left them alone. Plus they would look great with your tank

Lynxfishy

Fishymom64 said:
i think that’s probably for the best. Ghost shrimp are super easy to take care of in my experience. I kept like 10 with my betta and he liked to watch them and sometimes flare up at them but he mostly left them alone. Plus they would look great with your tank
Oh wow! How many shrimp do you think I could put in this tank? and an Otto catfish probably wouldn't work either then? Also will my Cory be ok in this tank for a while (about 14 days)? I live an hour away from my Petsmart and am not going back to town until then. (sorry for the question bombardment lol I am new to all of this)

Fishymom64

Lynxfishy said:
Oh wow! How many shrimp do you think I could put in this tank? and an Otto catfish probably wouldn't work either then? Also will my Cory be ok in this tank for a while (about 14 days)? I live an hour away from my Petsmart and am not going back to town until then. (sorry for the question bombardment lol I am new to all of this)
It’s totally okay I love answering questions! The Cory should be fine (just be on the lookout for changes in feeding or lathargy) you could probably keep 10-12 considering some we’ll die within a few days for the initial transportation. This is what worked for me but I’m not a shrimp expert (don’t chew me out) but also make sure you have little places they can hide if they need to. Don’t forget to feed them little shrinking (?) pellets. The stuff you are feeding your Cory will work. I don’t know what word I’m thinking of but I don’t think it’s shrinking.

Fishymom64

Aha! Sinking.

kimsch1005

Lynxfishy said:
Oto catfish are schooling fish just like corys. Your cory should be fine for the 14 days, just keep up on water maintenance.

Fishymom64 said:
It’s totally okay I love answering questions! The Cory should be fine (just be on the lookout for changes in feeding or lathargy) you could probably keep 10-12 considering some we’ll die within a few days for the initial transportation. This is what worked for me but I’m not a shrimp expert (don’t chew me out) but also make sure you have little places they can hide if they need to. Don’t forget to feed them little shrinking (?) pellets. The stuff you are feeding your Cory will work. I don’t know what word I’m thinking of but I don’t think it’s shrinking.
Sinking? lol. Ghost shrimp are super easy to care for. Definitely get them sinking pellets, BUT if you notice algae in the tank, hold off on feeding them and they will eat the algae! Then you can continue feeding them.

Fishymom64

kimsch1005 said:
Sinking? lol. Ghost shrimp are super easy to care for. Definitely get them sinking pellets, BUT if you notice algae in the tank, hold off on feeding them and they will eat the algae! Then you can continue feeding them.
I swear I’m smart I just totally blanked out. :) they are also great at getting algae of plants which is super handy.

julifhy

Lynxfishy said:
If you can, you could also have 2 tanks. A 5 gallon for your betta and a 10 gallon for a school of corys! :)
I know it probably won’t work, but I thought I would just let you know. Rehoming your cory and getting your betta different tank mates (like someone mentioned) would probably work best :)

Lynxfishy

Lol thank you both for your fast replies! Gahh I really wish the Cory would have worked out, he is so cute! I'm not sure how well the shrimp will survive the transportation to and from college during the breaks though now that I think about it. Just out of curiosity are there other fish options to go with this betta?

Fishymom64

Lynxfishy said:
Lol thank you both for your fast replies! Gahh I really wish the Cory would have worked out, he is so cute! I'm not sure how well the shrimp will survive the transportation to and from college during the breaks though now that I think about it. Just out of curiosity are there other fish options to go with this betta?
I don’t know about fish...just snails, African dwarf frogs and shrimp. If you had the space the corydoras would have worked. I’m sorry corys are so cute I know it must be tough thinking about taking him back.

Lynxfishy

Fishymom64 said:
I don’t know about fish...just snails, African dwarf frogs and shrimp. If you had the space the corydoras would have worked. I’m sorry corys are so cute I know it must be tough thinking about taking him back.
I've heard only a little bit about African dwarf frogs, can they be kept as just one, and are they hard to feed?

kimsch1005

Lynxfishy said:
Not in a 5 gallon unfortunately. Personally, I dont think the shrimp will undergo any more or less stress than most hardy fish would, especially the ghost shrimp, and snails are extremely hardy as well if you do decide to get some.

Fishymom64

Lynxfishy said:
I've heard only a little bit about African dwarf frogs, can they be kept as just one, and are they hard to feed?
I’ve never had them but I have a friend who has one in her tank. I’m not sure what their diet is but she says it’s pretty easy to keep.

The ghost shrimp would probably be okay. They are a lot hardier than cherry or other colorful but sensitive shrimp. You’ll have a few that won’t make it but I believe they’ll be okay. (I had a thirty minute drive and they did fine but I don’t know what other factors you were considering)

Top Bottom