Pennywort Trimming

KO_

I recently ordered Pennywort and received it in very good shape. I was caught a little off guard by how much stem was attached to the plant. I really thought it would be more of a free floating pad type plant. If I cut the pads off the stems would they survive and still propogate? I don't mind the stems but it just wasn't exactly the look I was going for.

Aquaphobia

No, leave the pads on the stem. What look were you going for?

KO_

Something like duckweed. More free floating but not so annoying.

KO_

Yes! I want that look of a bunch of floating plants with the roots hanging down. The pennywort gives me that but also looks like a bunch of plants were just throw in!

Aquaphobia

Yeah, it does!

I would go for plants like Red Root floaters (Phyllanthus fluitans), Salvinia species (including Azolla), Frogbit (Limnobium, though I find it's not as "rooty" as the others), or that Asian Water Grass (Hygroryza aristata) which I haven't been able to find myself but will someday gosh darn it!

samanther98

Why is it that whenever I trim my pennywort, that whole stem dies off?? It was growing great, tall and sprouting new leaves, but when one browns and I trim it it doesn't grow back. I woke up today and found the one totally snapped, I'm afraid if I trim it the whole plant will die

PAcanis

I was hoping to see some replies to your question.
I just searched pennywort because I'm not sure if I want to plant it or float it. It sounds like it's difficult to trim then?

Kelvin12

Don't know if its connected or not to your problem but mine struggled and usually broke away from its stem and really was soft in its stem. I raised my lighting up 6 inches and that made quite a bit of difference. Even growing some others, (cuttings) under a daylight fluro and it was doing really well and reached the surface. I had to dismantle that particular tank unfortunately recently. One other thing I have noticed with the stem when growing well is its quite tough.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
attheworld