Help PennPlax Cascade 1000 Priming HELP!!

MFoe

Reaction score
Ok, I’ve been trying now for over 2 hours!!! What the heck! I can not get the thing to prime! I’m out of ideas. I now have the canister filledI can’t get the intake to go over the aquarium edge (the loop at top), it gets to the edge, spits some over but eventually just drops back down. I’m losing my mind with this. I should mention it’s a 65 gallon tank filled almost halfway for a turtle. Can anyone walk me thru how to get this thing working,please?? It’s my first ever canister filter...possibly my last....
Thank you in advance!!

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not familiar with this exact filter but I have found with other canisters the trick is to put the return hose lower than both the filter and tank level in to a bucket and turn it on. It should then syphon with gravity. Once you get a good flow and the air is out of the system put it back onto the tank and pour the bucket back into the aquarium.

Elle2128

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just had this filter, for a day, before deciding to send it back cause it was horrible for me. For priming, after the same struggle you had, I had to remove the intake tube to start the siphon effect and then reattach it, if that makes sense. So remove the tube from the canister and open the flow (mine started to siphon right away but you may need to do it yourself). Have a bucket handy to so water doesn't go everywhere. Once its flowing close it again and reattach. Then turn the flow back on and turn on the filter.
That's how I got it working anyways. But mine was making horrible noises that wouldn't stop despite getting air out and checking the impeller. About 24 hours later 4 of my fish died despite having another cycled filter on the tank, so shouldn't have been any problems. I decided I was done with it and wasn't risking keeping it.

Jonmott

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As with any canister the easiest way to prime I hate to say is suck on the output!
that's right! Make sure the cam is completely empty, have the output out of the tank and make sure the spray bar or duckbill whatever you have is detached and the flow control knobs open so you can have an easier time sucking the water into the can, the other alternative is to put a pump on the output but the main objective is still the same, you want to get the input full of water going over the top of the tank into the can and just let gravity fill the can. Make sure when you get the can filling that you are close to the output flow control knob, when the can gets close to full you can now close the output flow knob, attach the spray bar or whatever you have and put it back into the tank, open both knobs, turn it on and it should be good to go, hope this helps.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You said this was a 65 gallon tank filled half way. That's a pretty large uptake to get water into to make it over the top. I would estimate 12-14" that water has to fill into the intake hoses from the water level that deep. I think that is the problem but I'm not sure how to resolve it, just not enough power/suction.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fill the tank up and try it again.

Once you get it going, drain it back down to your normal turtle level.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Islandvic said:
Fill the tank up and try it again.

Once you get it going, drain it back down to your normal turtle level.
Well ya know, I thought of that. Problem is long term issues. He would have to test a power failure to see if it can hold it air tight. Pretty sure the intake tube may not be perfectly air tight with it's connections. Once it sucks air... well there goes your vacuum. But heck, it's worth a try!

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol Cichlidude , when I read the OP's problem, my first thought was exactly what you had already stated before I started to scroll down. But I still had to add my 2 cents.

MFoe , is there any way you can rearrange the tank set up to get the water level to 3/4 and still have a happy turtle ?

OP
M

MFoe

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies , suggestions and help...it’s late right now (has an extremely long day of work) but I’m trying again right now. I’ll post again later to give an update.
* I also wondered if the water level had anything to do with it but have been told by various people that as long as the intake end is fully submerged it shouldn’t be a problem...but I really don’t know.
just to be safe I think I’m going to order a Fluval U3 or U4 from Amazon to have as a backup/use until I get this working. I can’t have him sitting with no filter....I feel bad for him.
anyway, here I go....Thanks Again!!

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
**edit** So I wrote a huge response then realized what the problem is! Ha, if what I thought of doesn't work, I will post my original response....

You said the 65g is filled "almost halfway". A 65g is about 23" tall including top/bottom rim. Your intake tube more than likely is a 2-piece design that has a telescoping end. I would wager where the bottom intake pipe (with the strainer) inserts into the upper pipe is above the water line.

If this is correct, air is getting sucked in the part where the 2 pipes connect.

Buy some plumbers white teflon tape and wrap the end of the bottom pipe that inserts into the upper pipe. This will help make an air and water tight connection. Wrap the portion of the pipe that inserts into the upper pipe at least 2-3 wraps of the teflon tape.

You said you had spent 2 hours trying to make it work. If air was getting sucked in where the 2 intake pipes connect above the water line, then you would have never gotten the canister started !!!

I am not a betting man, but I would wager this will solve the problem.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Islandvic That looks like a good solution. Hope it works.

OP
M

MFoe

Reaction score
Islandvic said:
**edit** So I wrote a huge response then realized what the problem is! Ha, if what I thought of doesn't work, I will post my original response....

You said the 65 gallon is filled "almost halfway". A 65 gallon is about 23" tall including top/bottom rim. Your intake tube more than likely is a 2-piece design that has a telescoping end. I would wager where the bottom intake pipe (with the strainer) inserts into the upper pipe is above the water line.

If this is correct, air is getting sucked in the part where the 2 pipes connect.

Buy some plumbers white teflon tape and wrap the end of the bottom pipe that inserts into the upper pipe. This will help make an air and water tight connection. Wrap the portion of the pipe that inserts into the upper pipe at least 2-3 wraps of the teflon tape.

You said you had spent 2 hours trying to make it work. If air was getting sucked in where the 2 intake pipes connect above the water line, then you would have never gotten the canister started !!!

I am not a betting man, but I would wager this will solve the problem.
Yes!! It is just above the water level! I have another filter in there now (U3), but as I’m off today I’m going back at getting this Penn 1000 to work. I think that may be the problem...I’ll be back to let ya’s know.
This has been a nightmare but hopefully resolved today.
Thanks again, and again, :)

OP
M

MFoe

Reaction score
F
MFoe said:
Ok, I’ve been trying now for over 2 hours!!! What the heck! I can not get the thing to prime! I’m out of ideas. I now have the canister filledI can’t get the intake to go over the aquarium edge (the loop at top), it gets to the edge, spits some over but eventually just drops back down. I’m losing my mind with this. I should mention it’s a 65 gallon tank filled almost halfway for a turtle. Can anyone walk me thru how to get this thing working,please?? It’s my first ever canister filter...possibly my last....
Thank you in advance!!
inally!!! After many hours of frustration I go to the Pen Plax Cascade 1000 Working!!! So the issue was as mentioned above. The intake piece is telescopic (so 2 pieces) and where they connect we’re about 3 inches above the water line and not an airtight seal. So I ended up going to Home Depot and getting some waterproof sealing tape and put a pice around the tip of the male piece then another around once connected to make an airtight seal. As soon as I tried to prime it was flowing within 30 seconds!!! So a 2 minute fix did it. Thank You for all your help!! I appreciate it and my family appreciates it even more !!!

New Threads