Penn Plax Clear Free Air Cartridge Corner Filter

pandybear

Reaction score
I bought a 2.5 gallon fish tank and 3 fish. 2 were these beautiful transparent fish with either green, orange or pink around their edges and one was a danio. The 2 transparent fish, at different times, wedged themselves, upside down, behind the above-noted filter and died. We replaced them with Platy's, one of which also wedged itself behind the air filter and died. Has anybody else ever had this problem with this filter? Penn Plax says it has never happened before. If it is not the fllter, what could possible be causing my fish to die like this? Many thanks for your time.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For some reason fish, at least mine, love to get into tight spaces. I try to have things in my tank that do not present an opportunity for them to go looking for a place to "look into". They are so curious. A filter is a dangerous place for them to play about. The suction plus the tight places are a receipe for disaster. Once they get caught they cannot get themselves back out. I lost 2 Otos to a small space next to a filter before I moved the filter out of the corner and made sure there were no more really tight places. But with a real CORNER filter I don't know what you do but look into a different type of filter that you can put where they won't get in behind. A perfect filter for the size you are looking for is the Duetto Mini.

Rose

pandybear

Reaction score
Rose, thank you so much for the help. I had contacted Penn Plax and they said this has never happened before with this product. They told me to prove to them that it has happened to other people and then they would look into it. I will definitely try the product you suggest. Thank you again for your response. Andy (Andrea)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom