Penn Plax Cascade 1500 Won't Prime

lindseylovesturtle
I just got my cascade 1500 and it will not prime to get started. I tried everything in the directions. My question is, the hoses seem crimped because the hole on my stand is at the bottom but it connects to the filter higher up. Is it unable to get started because gravity is not working in my favor? I think I'm going to drill holes at the top of the stand to fix this, but will it fix it? I've messed with it for hours and have gotten no where. Well except for almost flooding my house. I'm just so disappointed and frustrated at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

DarkOne
The output nozzle should be above the water line when priming any canister. It also helps to have the output hose shorter than the input hose.

California L33
I just got my cascade 1500 and it will not prime to get started. I tried everything in the directions. My question is, the hoses seem crimped because the hole on my stand is at the bottom but it connects to the filter higher up. Is it unable to get started because gravity is not working in my favor? I think I'm going to drill holes at the top of the stand to fix this, but will it fix it? I've messed with it for hours and have gotten no where. Well except for almost flooding my house. I'm just so disappointed and frustrated at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

If the hoses are really kinked then yes, that could be your problem. Post some pictures before you drill, or position it in a temporary location without the kinks and see if it primes.

Also, you've completely filled it with water and closed the cap, right?

lindseylovesturtle
If the hoses are really kinked then yes, that could be your problem. Post some pictures before you drill, or position it in a temporary location without the kinks and see if it primes.

Also, you've completely filled it with water and closed the cap, right?

Yes, I completely filled it with water before trying to prime it. I will try to take pics tonight, the cabinet is just so dark it was hard to get a good view with my phone. The hoses were pretty badly crimped though, so I think that's the problem. I hope at least since it seems like the easiest fix.

The output nozzle should be above the water line when priming any canister. It also helps to have the output hose shorter than the input hose.
Sorry, but I don't think I quite understand your response. The output nozzle was above the waterline in position. I couldn't get the water to suck up the input tube to prime the canister. The hoses were pretty tight and barely reached, which attributed to the kinking issue. I will try different positions and things tonight when I get home. Now I'm just worried about the BB in the canister.

Greg F
Silly question but I have done it - are the valves open??

lindseylovesturtle
LOL yes! I did it too on one of the tries but quickly noticed my error. Definitely a valid question!

DarkOne
Sorry, but I don't think I quite understand your response. The output nozzle was above the waterline in position. I couldn't get the water to suck up the input tube to prime the canister. The hoses were pretty tight and barely reached, which attributed to the kinking issue. I will try different positions and things tonight when I get home. Now I'm just worried about the BB in the canister.
If the output nozzle (where the water comes out) is under water, it's much harder to prime a canister.

If the hoses are too short, can you put something under the canister like a book?

BB usually can survive a few days in a canister with no flow. Some might die off but you won't start from zero.

lindseylovesturtle
OK, I'll see what I can do tonight. I can't put a book under it because there's not enough room, but I have some ideas.

Thanks for explaining! *Fingers Crossed*

DarkOne
All Penn Plax canisters use 5/8" ID tubing so you should be able to get new hoses from Home Depot (they have better quality hoses than Lowes). You can get OEM hoses on Amazon too.

clubtc05
Did you get it primed? I had a separate bucket next to me and siphoned the water on the inlet tube and then closed the value then screwed it back on the canister and plugged it in right away and that worked for me.

Swampgorilla
I have owned four of the Cascades including the 1500.

As with most canister's - the prime works better if gravity is working with you ... so having the input higher than the canister is a plus.

But I do operate a 1500 in a 72 gallon "pond-tank" in my home. There's not much vertical separation between the input and the canister so the prime is unreliable.

I use a small submersible pump and "blow" water through the inlet all the way through the canister to the outflow. Once I hear all the air evacuated ... I remove it and start the canister.

UnderwaterGalaxy
I had trouble priming my Cascade 1000. What I did is fill the intake hose with water and then it primed after about 3-5 pumps.

lindseylovesturtle
OK, so I drilled a hole at the top of the cabinet to unkink the hoses and it totally worked! I'm also out of my minI cycle so I'm very happy!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jrad
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views
angeltank
Replies
Views