Penn-plax 1000 Needs To Be Cleaned Constantly Question

1. Council Initiate Member

I have a 60 gallon tank with a Penn-Plax 1000. There's little particles floating around in the water almost constantly unless I clean the filter daily. Any thoughts as to what would cause this? The aquarium isn't anywhere close to being heavily stocked and I don't think they're being overfed or anything.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What sort of particles are they? Is your tank planted? Anything stirring up the substrate?

3. Council Initiate Member

Particles appear white and are big enough to see but too small to make out. They're almost like tiny undissolved air bubbles, but they're definitely particles.

It is not planted because of plecos.

There's a yoyo loach that loves digging. He could sure be stirring things up.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That could be it. What kind of substrate do you have?

5. Council Initiate Member

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of media do you have in your filter?

7. Council Initiate Member

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Matrix is white, could it be dust washed out of that?

9. Letsfish Member Member

I have the 1500 model on my 55 and don`t have any issues like that,maybe it could be the gasket that fits around the pump shaft that goes around the tube in the baskets that does not seat properly.I clean mine about every month but could let it go longer.I put the sponge on the bottom then use a phosphate reducing pad next,ceramic rings ,bio balls, floss and Matrix, in the top tray.