Penguin Biowheel

Biglog
I have a penguin biowheel 200 in my 29 gallon tank. Does anyone know how effective the wheel is in breeding bacteria (will my tank cycle again when I change out the inserts)? On a similar note, what does the carbon chemical filtration do (if anything)?

marmaaa
Biglog said:
I have a penguin biowheel 200 in my 29 gallon tank. Does anyone know how effective the wheel is in breeding bacteria (will my tank cycle again when I change out the inserts)? On a similar note, what does the carbon chemical filtration do (if anything)?
If you remove the wheel I doubt you will lose much bacteria. However instead of the carbon that it comes with (which practically stores little bacteria), I would reccommend getting sponges and biomax to store your bacteria. They can hold way more bacteria than the carbon and the wheel and if you do decide to change the wheel later you wont have to worry about the bacteria dying since the sponge and biomax will have a ton of bacteria.

Biglog
marmaaa said:
If you remove the wheel I doubt you will lose much bacteria. However instead of the carbon that it comes with (which practically stores little bacteria), I would reccommend getting sponges and biomax to store your bacteria. They can hold way more bacteria than the carbon and the wheel and if you do decide to change the wheel later you wont have to worry about the bacteria dying since the sponge and biomax will have a ton of bacteria.
I wasn’t planning on changing the wheel ever because it is supposed to be a lifetime thing. I just didn’t know how effective it was in keeping the bacteria or if changing the filter inserts would take away most of the bacteria causing the tank to cycle again.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom