Penguin Biowheel

1. dave.santilli

dave.santilli Valued Member Member

I have a Penguin Biowheel 150. 9 months in and it has stopped spinning! Cleaned out the pump, impeller, wheel slots etc and it still wont spin. Is this a big deal? I know the biowheel holds the bacteria but I also have an intake sponge on the filter, sponge material in the filter and a medium hikari sponge filter in the tank. Fine to just keep it as is without the wheel spinning? I think i have plenty of bacteria holding spots with the sponges

Thanks!

2. kam.exe

kam.exe Valued Member Member

I have a Penguin as well, and I read somewhere that it was fine if the wheel doesn't spin. (not sure how true this is though)

For mine, it spins on and off - it probably has something to do with the water level in the back section. Not entirely sure. But mine has been working well even with the wheel being weird, so you can leave it in.

3. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I had the same problem with mine off and on. Check the little plastic parts that sit in the slots. I had to trim one side down a tiny bit and it's worked perfect since.

4. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I have a penguin biowheel for my qt tank. The wheel, while I am sure holds some good BB, really isn't necessary. I've had mine dry out for a few months and when I needed a qt tank, I used seeded media from the main tank in the cartridge area and had no problems. :)

5. OP
    OP
    dave.santilli

So I should be fine with all the sponges I have in the tank then? Thank you!

6. Punkin

I believe so. I keep extra media for the qt tank in my main tank. About 2 months after putting my qt and the penguin filter away, I had to use it again for about 2 weeks. I stuffed the cartridge area full of the extra seeded media and had no cycling problems for that 2 week period. I did put the wheel on for looks, and it still spun, but it had been dry for almost 2 months.

7. OP
    OP
    dave.santilli

Are you using the Aquaclear 50 like it says in your profile? I was looking into that one to make a switch from the biowheel. I like the idea of the compartments for media. I guess if the penguin is still fine with the sponges in it maybe I will just stick with it and save some money:pompous:

8. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

It doesn't need to spin but it also means there would only be BB populating the ares that are moist/wet.

Some who have added additional media for BB are probably OK. Others may be OK because they really didn't need or have such a large BB population as they think.

The main thing is that if your ammonia measurements and other conditions are not out of line, then the current situation is OK for the current stock. Just keep an eye on it and keep it in line (eg you add more stock or your fish grow in size or babies are born that stay in that tank).

I've added some of the bags of media designed for AC 30 and 50 into my existing filters (that are not AC). It worked fine. They are all about the right size to fit into other similarly-sized filters, just that they aren't in a horizontal compartment setup.

It comes down to just being able to get water to run through that media, which you can achieve even with a DIY container full of custom media that you are piping water through there via pump or powerhead.

9. xapoc

xapoc Valued Member Member

My wheel quit spinning after 1 month, after tinkering a bit, I've noticed the waterfowl was the reason why, and what affected water flow was the carbon filter position.
    You need to push the carbon filter down a little, I think once it soaks up for while it expands, so try adjusting height and see at which point wheel starts to spin again and leave it like that. You may even have to position it closer to the back and see if that gets it to spin. It worked for me at least. When you move it around it may get little messy.

10. Punkin

Yes I have the aquaclear 50 on my main tank and really like it. I liked the penguin as well, but it is a penguin 75 which would have been too low gallon turnover for my 20 gallon main tank, so I keep it as a spare for my Qt tank, which is 5 gallon.

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You should be fine as long as the biowheel stays nice an moist. It will turn once in a while. But since you stuffed it with sponges you should be ok. That was the only knock on the Penguins. I had the 350 and one would spin like no tomorrow the other would just be meh...

12. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

If your bio-wheel doesn't spin anymore I would be worried about mold and/or algae growing on it where the water splashes it. You should be fine without it and if you aren't gonna fix it then I would take it out.

13. Snake88

Snake88 Valued Member Member

I have 2 penguin 350s on my 55gal with the biowheels and on top of the filter cartriges for the pump I added some pot scrubbies whixh werent pushed down far enough and stopped the biowheels from turning.. make sure that nothing is obstructing them.

14. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Aquaclears are the only filters I use, I couldn't keep the biowheels spinning because I have intake sponges so I don't suck up snails or livebearer fry.

15. Rich72

Rich72 Well Known Member Member

Sometimes a biowheel doesn't spin if your filter pad has too much gunk because of the amount of water coming through it.