Penguin Biowheel 75 filter question

1. MissCap Member Member

This is my first biowheel filter. I am wondering how loud it is supposed to be. My husband is annoyed that it is giving off a grinding sound. I have read all the instructions and am pretty sure it is installed correctly. This is on my 10 gallon tank.

Also, the instructions say to change the filter every month? Is this something I have to do, or can I spread it out a little bit? Thanks!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

the penguin biowheel is one of the louder HOB's I've experienced. I have one on my 36. It shouldn't be "grinding" but occasionally it will give off a similar sound but it shouldn't be doing it constantly.

Do not change out the filter pad. I've been running mine for over a year and still have the same one. Never change out the biowheel. The pad should just be washed off with dechlorinated water about once a month. If the pad ever starts coming apart then that's when you need to start investing in a new filter pad.

3. MissCap Member Member

Ok. Wow! I wonder why the instructions say to change the filter pad out once a month?

4. Aquatica88 Member Member

Basically, the instructions tell you to change the filter pad out once a month because that way they can get you to buy more filter pads. ^-^ If you do remove it, you get rid of your beneficial bacteria - also as stated above, you never need to replace your biowheel.

I have a MarineLand 75 as one of two filters on my 20 gallon high. I noticed that if it gets loud/makes grinding sounds, this stops if I remove the impeller, clean/adjust it and then put it back in. The same goes if your biowheel ever seems sluggish - sometimes adjusting the filter pad in the slot will get it to start again. It's okay if it slows down, but it shouldn't ever come to a dead stop.

5. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

The only time I hear grinding is when I plug it in and it's trying to get the suction going. Fill the compartment with water to help speed this process. Once it's flowing I don't usually hear the filter but just the water flowing.

6. Aquatica88 Member Member

There was one time when I did hear grinding coming from mine (aside from the usual sound it makes when you first plug it in). It was unsettling, but I adjusted the impeller and it has seemed to be okay since.

7. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Oh! When adding gravel my impeller did get some dust in it and made a grinding sound and didn't want to turn properly. I ended up having to take it off and rinse it for several minutes while turning it and it finally cleared the dust and worked properly. I rinsed the gravel and everything but the water was still a little dusty at first.

8. peregrine Member Member

The reason they tell you to replace it that often is that is how often the activated carbon gets spent up. You don't get rid of all your beneficial bacteria that is exactly what the bio wheel is for.

Now you don't have to replace it that often. Technically you can rinse it off and continue using it. The activated carbon just wont be doing anything which isn't necessarily bad or good. Just means it wont be doing any chemical filtration, so it wont take out things like medications, or any chemicals in your water (which if you are using a dechlorinator there shouldn't be)) nor any heavy metals if you have them in your water.

The grinding could be water level too low in the tank. Or you may need to clean the impeller

9. MissCap Member Member

Thanks everyone! The filter is no longer grinding. The water is about 1/2" from the top of the tank. The water pouring in the tank is louder than the filter. I don't want to fill it up any more because of my heater. I am afraid of submerging it. No where in the instructions does it say if it can be totally submerged or not. I have all the glass part under water and above the minimum water level.

10. peregrine Member Member

Misscao don't feel bad or anything about the heater. I have the same fear. I know i can.. but don't want to electrocute my fish

11. fishchick Member Member

Mine is penguin biowheel 200 just gets loud if water level gets low, my water has been bit cloudy , what do u mean declorinated water, have city water been using , hate it!

12. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

You need to be treating your water with Seachem Prime or similar to condition the water for the fish.

13. fishchick Member Member

Yeah added some prime when did a water change , when does water start to clear up when using prime

14. peregrine Member Member

Prime doesn't clear up water Prime detoxifies ammonia, chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. Water clearing up is just time for the stuff to either settle or be filtered out.