Pelvachromis Roloffi Info?

1. Jaxsco

Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

I had a super long fish crawl today and ended up coming home with a pair of wild caught P. Roloffi. I ascertained enough to know they'd be a good fit in my tank (size, temperament, etc.) but I don't know much more. There are only 2 or 3 decent articles I can find on them. Apparently they're one of the rarer pelvachromis. Does anyone know more about them or have experience with them? TIA!

2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

QT and deworm wild Pelvicachromis. It is possible the importer already did a parasite treatment; it is probably a good idea to give them another one just in case. I also bought a pair of wild Pv. roloffi. They were dead within six weeks. I used to always have good luck with wild fish, but that has not been as regular in recent years.

While I had them, the female dug a hole under one pile of wood, the male went and hid under a second pile at the opposite end of the tank. I saw them together occasionally, but the female tended to chase the male away. I thought maybe they had spawned, but saw no sign of eggs or fry. They ate well, showed no signs of disease until very near the end.

I set them up in their own long 20 tank, as I would any wild Pelvicachromis; very soft, slightly acid water, sand and wood with a few plants. They brought an infestation of a large duckweed with them, which covered the surface in less than 2 weeks. Only mistake I know I made was the tank location, bottom shelf near the entrance to the fish area, which resulted in their constant hiding so that I was unable to observe them. It was a matter of available space at the time.

3. OP
    OP
    Jaxsco

The fish store had them for 3 weeks and had dewormed them already. This is a fish store I trust very much. They're already out more than they were yesterday and seem to be settling in well. The male and female seem to be together about 50% of the time. They also took to processed food the first night I feed them.

They are in a very peaceful 125g tank with very similar conditions that you stated. The other fish did harass them slightly but now leave them alone. They look like they fit in well. They aren't being bullied nor are they bullying other fish.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I've had them three times, and bred them twice. Nice fish, especially in breeding colour.
    Do you have any specific questions? I'll be glad to try to answer.

5. OP
    OP
    Jaxsco

I just really needed some more general info on them. It'd be great if you could answer some of these:
    #1 How hard is it for them to breed?
    #2 how aggressive do they become when they breed?
    #3 Can they breed in a community/semi-aggressive tank?
    #4 How rare are they?

6. NavigatorBlack

#1 How hard is it for them to breed?

They bred more or less like P pulcher (kribs), their famous relative. They like sand and a cave they can dig out. In nature, they sand sift, looking for food. They like a percentage of green in their diets.
    #2 how aggressive do they become when they breed?

I would say they are shy, rather than aggressive. Their problem is their tankmates. Mine never harmed any other fish, but they did defend their fry.
    #3 Can they breed in a community/semi-aggressive tank?

You would to define 'semi-aggressive". I bred them in tanks where they didn't have to compete for turf. The first 2 times I had them, I bought groups, which I separated into pairs. The pairs in communities with other Cichlids didn't live nearly as long as the ones in 20 gallon longs on their own, with a few peaceful shoalers up high.
    #4 How rare are they?

They are Guinean fish, and they are not often imported. They're the last Pelvicachromis in their region, as all the others have been placed in the Genus Wallaceochromis. The problem is Wallaceochromis species are really nasty, and peaceful P roloffi suffers by association.
    As well, roloffi is one of the two least colourful Pelvicachromis (silviae from Nigeria is also less colourful). When roloffi are breeding, they are fantastic, but their everyday colours don't jump out. With the exception of pulcher (the krib), all of the Pelvicachromis species are rare in the hobby. P roloffi is a fish that gets imported to North America every 2 or 3 years, in small numbers.
    roloffif1 (640x427).jpg

7. OP
    OP
    Jaxsco

Thank you very much! They won't have to worry about competing for turf except from maybe a curious catfish or loach since the Cichlids they're housed with are incredibly peaceful. As of right now my goal isn't to breed them but it would be nice if they did. I'm hoping I can set up a 20gL for them to breed in and raising fry.

8. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

Good luck!! Please update as you go with these fish. I am very interested in a bunch of the west African cichlids. The best information seems to be Like you received from the folks up above.

9. OP
    OP
    Jaxsco

I definitely will! Unfortunately the tank they are in had been hit by some sort of disease. I've already lost 3 fish and another 3 or 4 appear to be going downhill. I've begun medication. The kribs look unaffected so far.

10. m

Wow. Hopefully they are ok. Sounds like the others are being hit hard

11. OP
    OP
    Jaxsco

I think I'm starting to get a handle on whatever it is. Knock on wood.

12. m

Sweet!!

13. NavigatorBlack

I hope you knock it out without any more losses.