Pellets Or Flakes?

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm some what new to cichlids I have 3 convicts what should I feed them pellets or flakes? I can't seem to tell if they are eating the pellets. Two of them are a little over 3in and the other one is about an inch and a half

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I prefer small pellets for most my cichlids though I feed flakes to my fry. Pellest just seem less messy/wasteful and the larger fish don't have to chase down the tiny flake pieces just to get enough to eat.

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think thats my problem I have large pellets I've seen them knaw on them I'll get smaller ones

I'e heard flakes are not so great convicts are bottom feeders and if they try to eat flakes at the top of the tank they can swallow air and get air trapped in there intestines

omaia

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Typically convicts aren't very picky about what they eat, so either pellet or flakes should be fine. I'd just wait a while after feeding them to see if they're eating their food; your cichlids might just be really slow eaters. If you notice that they aren't eating their food, you could try to jumpstart their appetite with bloodworms and then maybe that will make them realize that the pellets/flakes are food as well.

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did just try putting some protein sinking wafers and crunched a few up and they all seemed to go for them I just don't think there ready for large sinking pellets. I'll try giving them some frozen foods tomorrow and see if they go for them and pick up smaller pellets

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom