Pellets Making My Aquarium Cloudy

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by stella1979, Apr 23, 2017.

1. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Hi :) So, I'm quite certain my nano fish pellets are making my tank cloudy. I have a cycled 20gL with cardinal tetras, guppies and RCS. I feed them flakes, pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, daphnia & peas. I can actually see dust coming off the pellets when the fish eat, and particularly when the shrimp are eating them.

What are my options to clear it up? My filter has a sponge as well as a pretty thick layer of floss. I don't really want to cut the pellets out of their diet. Is there a particular brand that doesn't cloud the water as much? I'm currently using Omega One Micro Pellets 0.5mm, and the packaging even advertises that it doesn't cloud water:rolleyes:

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

How much are you feeding, I would imagine it is the quantity of food, not the actual food. The RCS almost don't even need food, as they will eat algae, bio-film, and other scraps they find. So just focus on the tetras and guppies. You mentioned a variety of food, which is great, but what sort of quantities are you feeding?

3. OP
    OP
    stella1979

I'm feeding just a tiny pinch every 12 hours, but I will admit that it spreads and some lands on the bottom every time. Then the shrimp go after it but they certainly aren't eating it all. Almost daily I suck as much out as I can using a turkey baster or airline tubing as a tiny siphon but it's impossible to get at it all with the decor I have. I guess I need to be a little more careful.

4. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Should I only feed once a day?

5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

How many fish total do you have?

6. OP
    OP
    stella1979

8 tetras, 5 guppies & 8 RCS :)

7. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

If there is extra hitting the bottom then you are definitely feeding too much. The fish should eat most, if not all of the food before it gets to the bottom. Some food going to the bottom isn't too bad, as your shrimp will clean that up. But they don't eat too much, as they prefer algae and biofilm. Once per day is plenty for most fish, in fact you can skip days occasionally.

8. APierce

This is what i'd do..maybe like 5 pellets and 5 flakes once a day, the next day some blood worms, next day some peas, next day some flakes and pellets, then the daphnia, on day 6 (if I counted right) I'd just give them either flakes or pellets and then on day 7 they'd fast :)

9. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks APierce, this is my first community tank so that schedule was just what I needed to see. I'm always concerned that the enough food makes it past the piggy guppies so the tetras can eat:)

10. APierce

You can always lure the guppies to one side of the tank with the promise of food in hand and then secretly feed the tetras with the other hand lol. I have to do all kinds of crazy things in my one tank because I've got a dragon goby and I don't want my other fish eating his beef heart :) you get creative after awhile haha

11. OP
    OP
    stella1979

12. APierce

He's a huge nearly blind fish and he actually loves it...as long as the other fish aren't trying to steal it from him!

13. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Googling :)

14. APierce

Comes back :eek:
    lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice