Peepers Passed Last Night

HannahH

Valued Member
Messages
373
Reaction score
216
Points
78
Experience
1 year
So Wednesday morning I noticed peepers looking a bit bloated looking. Didn't think anything of it just figured he over ate and decided I was going to fast him. By Wednesday night I noticed he was slightly pine coning. He didn't have an appetite and just stayed up at the top corners of the tank.

Last night he passed away. I walked out this morning to find his dead body at the bottom of his tank. Took 2 days for dropsy to completely over take him. I hadn't even had him 6 months yet and he was my dream fish. I'm so heart broken and can't stop the tears. I was so attached to him.

Swim in peace my little peepers
28279911_10214741662951672_7884361793401940596_n.jpg
 

skinandbonesx

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
46
Points
63
Experience
Just started
I'm so sorry for your loss almost the exact same thing happened to me and my koi betta. Healthy and happy for over 6 months. It had to have been less that 72 hours from first symptoms (bloating) to death. He fought as best he could but he just couldn't push through. My koi died on christmas day (showed symptoms over the christmas weekend and a number of places were closed which meant that I was unable to get anything to help him, not that I think it would have mattered with how fast it happened). Dropsy is absolutely devastating. Do you have any idea what might have triggered it? Most of the time it seems totally random. Like a fish killing phantom D:

When you're ready, make sure to clean his tank super well before stocking it again, just in case it's something in the tank. I consider it a personal mourning experience, cleaning the tank. It's sad but also helps cleanse those emotions and helps you move past it. Just remember that at least your little guy didn't have to suffer for long.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

HannahH

Valued Member
Messages
373
Reaction score
216
Points
78
Experience
1 year
The problem is his tank is a community tank, 20 gallons with tetras and cories. I don't know what triggered it. His gills looked red when i looked at him but the tanks perams are perfect. 0,0,10. I don't know what caused it but i'm afraid for my other fish. I did have a few tetras die recently but they looked healthy, no parasites, nothing. all the fish are over a year old and came from my dads tank that was well established too so it wasn't like they came from the store since we've had them at least a year now.
 

BettaNation

Valued Member
Messages
144
Reaction score
48
Points
28
HannahH said:
So Wednesday morning I noticed peepers looking a bit bloated looking. Didn't think anything of it just figured he over ate and decided I was going to fast him. By Wednesday night I noticed he was slightly pine coning. He didn't have an appetite and just stayed up at the top corners of the tank.

Last night he passed away. I walked out this morning to find his dead body at the bottom of his tank. Took 2 days for dropsy to completely over take him. I hadn't even had him 6 months yet and he was my dream fish. I'm so heart broken and can't stop the tears. I was so attached to him.

Swim in peace my little peepers
View attachment 433117
Aww I'm so sorry that happened :'( what was his tank like? And was it heated and filtered ? Was there a possible ammonia spike? I'm sure there is a reason behind his untimely demise but I'm sure it's something you can avoid in the future.
 

skinandbonesx

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
46
Points
63
Experience
Just started
HannahH said:
The problem is his tank is a community tank, 20 gallons with tetras and cories. I don't know what triggered it. His gills looked red when i looked at him but the tanks perams are perfect. 0,0,10. I don't know what caused it but i'm afraid for my other fish. I did have a few tetras die recently but they looked healthy, no parasites, nothing. all the fish are over a year old and came from my dads tank that was well established too so it wasn't like they came from the store since we've had them at least a year now.
uggghhh that's a stinker. Exactly why I'm so terrified to start a community tank. I'm not nearly experienced enough to deal with an issue if it arrises and the idea of a whole community tank, for lack of a better word, tanking, is my worse nightmare.

I hope the other fish will be ok. I'm crossing my fingers for you
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

HannahH

Valued Member
Messages
373
Reaction score
216
Points
78
Experience
1 year
BettaNation said:
Aww I'm so sorry that happened :'( what was his tank like? And was it heated and filtered ? Was there a possible ammonia spike? I'm sure there is a reason behind his untimely demise but I'm sure it's something you can avoid in the future.
There was no ammonia, the perams are 0,0,10 taken from the day this all started. It is a heated and filtered 20g community tank.
 

BettaNation

Valued Member
Messages
144
Reaction score
48
Points
28
HannahH said:
There was no ammonia, the perams are 0,0,10 taken from the day this all started. It is a heated and filtered 20g community tank.
If he pineconed then that is a symptom of dropsy so you might want to do a big water change as it can put the other fish at risk. It could be caused by a parasite, virus, or bacterial infection. Maybe treat it with some antibiotics if the other fish start acting weird.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

HannahH

Valued Member
Messages
373
Reaction score
216
Points
78
Experience
1 year
I will be keeping my neons/cories for a month to kind of keep an eye on them then donate them to the little fish store near by as I don't want to take them with us when we move to another state. Once I donate them I will take down the tank, bleach it all, tanks, plastic plants, throw the gravel away as i don't want it, and when i move out of state in a few months I'll recycle and i'm thinking of getting a giant betta or a king betta.
 

BettaNation

Valued Member
Messages
144
Reaction score
48
Points
28
HannahH said:
I will be keeping my neons/cories for a month to kind of keep an eye on them then donate them to the little fish store near by as I don't want to take them with us when we move to another state. Once I donate them I will take down the tank, bleach it all, tanks, plastic plants, throw the gravel away as i don't want it, and when i move out of state in a few months I'll recycle and i'm thinking of getting a giant betta or a king betta.
That's a good plan. But btw if you get a king betta do remember they can get wayy bigger than the normal betta so you will probably not able to stock up the tank as much before but I'm sure it will look nice. Good luck with the tank and the move
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m so sorry you lost your Peepers. My heart is with you. Peepers knew your love even if only for a short time. Giving love is special. When you’re ready, your new finbaby will be loved as well. Be at peace sweet Peepers.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

HannahH

Valued Member
Messages
373
Reaction score
216
Points
78
Experience
1 year
BettaNation said:
That's a good plan. But btw if you get a king betta do remember they can get wayy bigger than the normal betta so you will probably not able to stock up the tank as much before but I'm sure it will look nice. Good luck with the tank and the move
Oh my tank is a 20g long but I'm not going to have another community tank. These fish I never wanted, my mom wanted them and when the guy came out to take all my dads fish she had him dump 7 tetras and 2 cories in my tank without even knowing if peepers was an aggressive guy or not LOL So i've been taking care of them for the past 3 months. Community tanks aren't for me.

Thank you everyone on the kind words. Means a lot
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom