Peat Moss Good Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by FishTankPerson, Jun 28, 2016.

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

I just added some peat moss to my aquarium, under some sand and gravel. I got most of it under where the plants are going to be. Will the peat moss be good enough, or should I get more fertilizer. I didn't put in much. .5 quart. 30 gallon tank

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I've never heard of peat moss being used as a fertilizer. It is commonly used to lower the pH of the water.

3. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

AmazonPassion is on the right path, but It doesn't lower your PH exactly,. It just makes water softer. It's only real use stems from the fact that calcium and magnesium naturally bond to its surface. The levels of these two sources is what determines soft or hard water. It doesn't effect the triple C's - carbon, bi-carbonate or carbonic acid - that determine the PH of your water.

As far as a source of fertilizer? You'd need something else entirely.

4. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

Thanks guys I will use it to lower the ph, and make the water softer, but I will use something else for fertillizer

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The peat moss will also tend to turn your tank water a yellowish color just like driftwood does. Not really worth using in the aquarium setting, as a good quality potting soil mix will have plenty in it already along with the ferts that you are after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice