Peas And Mosquito Larvae

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TiqToq, Apr 10, 2017.

1. TiqToq

TiqToq Valued Member Member

I've a couple questions. The first may sound silly, but I was wondering when you are boiling a pea to give to your fish do you need to use a water conditioner in the pot water or not? A followup to that is if you do is the pot still safe to use for human food after it's been washed?

The second question concerns harvesting mosquito larvae. We often inadvertently get a lot of those in the Spring, Summer, and even sometimes Fall due to rain water sitting outside. How does one go about properly cleaning the larvae to give to your fish and do the water they come from need to be conditioned too or is rain water alright?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I've never boiled a pea for a fish, but I wouldn't be concerned about the water. Just do it.
    I harvest mosquito larvae and daphnia three times a week, all summer long. I scoop it, and feed it directly. Just don't overfeed, or you'll have biting mosquitoes in the house...
    It's what these fish eat in nature. It doesn't have to be sterilized or anything.

3. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I tried boiling peas for my ducks....I could not get it soft enough. Apparently, I lack the information and skill to boil peas. As a result, I just get the frozen peas, usually around 1 pound for a $1 or less. I eat them, my ducks eat them, and my fish eat them. For fish, I just get 3-4 peas and defrost them. When they are defrosted, I remove them from their shells and plop in the pea.

You don't need to condition the water if you are boiling peas. Conditioning the water is to try to remove the concentration of chlorine. Even a frozen pea soaked in water to help it defrost faster, won't have that much chlorine that it can't be fed immediately to the fish.

The same for the larvae. They come from outside, maybe in some puddle of nice clean rainwater or dirty water. I just harvest and feed to the fish immediately, no other conditioning or cleaning needed.

4. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

TiqToq Valued Member Member

Thanks for the replies. I've fed my fish some pea since and did end up using defrosted and deshelled frozen peas. It worked perfectly, and since she's so small we have plenty of extra peas for whoever else needs them.

Still waiting to get some mosquito larvae to show up here, but I can't wait to I add that to the menu too. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice