Peas And Epsom Salt Are Not Helping Bloat

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a zebra danio that has been bloated for some time now. I separated it to a QT tank, and tried to feed it peas. It refused the peas, so I decided to do epsom salt baths instead. I did several epsom salt baths, but there is still no improvement. What should I do?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is the danio before it was transferred to the QT. It's the one at the middle.

6ca18a147c2ad9a78c76cf7be445d739.jpg

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would fast the fish several days 3-5 to start. I've never had a Danio show any interest in vegetables of any sort. And watch its poo to be sure it's not long and stringy and white as that would be a dead on indicator of parasites for which I'd recommend treating the entire tank and not just the one fish.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a betta with extream swimbladder issues and bloat. It took 2 and 1/2 weeks of fasting to see any changes in him. I didn't want him to starve so I had given him one pellet somewhere in the middle, but it was a lot longer than I expected.

Like mentioned above, what does your danio's poo look like? Long and stringy? White? If so, it's parasites and you'll have to medicate.

Are there any other symptoms?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sfsamm said:
Has it improved at all?
No, I don't think so.

Kysarkel000 said:
I had a betta with extream swimbladder issues and bloat. It took 2 and 1/2 weeks of fasting to see any changes in him. I didn't want him to starve so I had given him one pellet somewhere in the middle, but it was a lot longer than I expected.

Like mentioned above, what does your danio's poo look like? Long and stringy? White? If so, it's parasites and you'll have to medicate.

Are there any other symptoms?
I haven't seen my danio poop yet. I'll let you guys know in a few days if I see poop or not.

There are no other symptoms.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a thought to get a bit of vegi in her, pick up a very small size can or a sample size even of a quality goldfish flake or pellet (whichever she's used to) and feed a very very small quantity about every third day. If she's backed up maybe that will provide enough vegi matter to help her out. Realistically probably any vegetarian fish food even if it's algae based. Just check ingredients and be sure that the protein content is very low and the first 2-3 ingredients aren't some type of meat meal. If you get stuck with pellet and she's used to flakes crush the pellet into crumbs and she should still accept it.

Continue a watch for parasites. She's bloated so strangely I definitely think parasites are a possibility.

Does she have other symptoms? Lethargy, issues swimming?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She's bloated at only one side, if that helps.

No, I don't see any other symptoms so far. She's not lethargic, and I don't see any problems with her swimming.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquatickeeper said:
She's bloated at only one side, if that helps.
That is key info. Since her behavior is normal and she's only swollen on the one side I would pen that as a tumor. I would add her back to her school and watch her for signs of discomfort or suffering as she is unlikely to have a normal life span. She should be able to do well for quite a while if it doesn't continue to grow and may well be lucky enough to live a completely full and happy life. It'll all be determined by the rate of growth and if it continues or ceases. Pick up some clove oil to have on hand for if/when serving situation dictates the need for euthanasia.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sfsamm said:
That is key info. Since her behavior is normal and she's only swollen on the one side I would pen that as a tumor. I would add her back to her school and watch her for signs of discomfort or suffering as she is unlikely to have a normal life span. She should be able to do well for quite a while if it doesn't continue to grow and may well be lucky enough to live a completely full and happy life. It'll all be determined by the rate of growth and if it continues or ceases. Pick up some clove oil to have on hand for if/when serving situation dictates the need for euthanasia.
Thank you! I'll add her back to the school.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I saw some of my fish scratch its body on decor and the substrate this morning, but I don't see any white poop. Could it still be parasites?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquatickeeper said:
So, I saw some of my fish scratch its body on decor and the substrate this morning, but I don't see any white poop. Could it still be parasites?
Being danios I would lean more towards spawning behavior especially considering they did it in the morning.
Also being that it's a swollen/lump type issue it would indicate internal parasites where as flashing generally is a symptom of an external parasite.

I'm fairly certain you have a healthy Danio with a tumor and that is all. It's easy to read symptoms into the activities of fish especially when you are not well versed in the particular species. Don't worry, keeping an eye out and noticing things just means you are a diligent and observant fish keeper, nothing wrong with that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom