Pearl Gouramis Looking Pale, And Not Eating At All. Any Suggestions? Help

Discussion in 'Pearl Gourami' started by AkarHiwa, Apr 16, 2019.

1. AkarHiwaNew MemberMember

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0 PPM

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Nitrate: 10 PPM

Temperature 25 celsius/77 fahrenheit

PH: 7.2

My 4 gouramis are hanging out at the top of the aquarium, not really doing much. Theyve stopped eating for 2-3 days now, maybe longer. Theyve lost a bit of colour and not looking as plump as they used to. Really dont know what to do. I've tried flakes, pellets, blood worms, sinking tablets (meant for corydoras, but theyve eaten from them in the past) and algea wafers.

Theyre housed in a 90 gallon aquarium with neon tetra, corydora aenus, siamese algea eaters, cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras.

I've added a bit of aquarium salt, which has seemed to calm them down a bit. They are still just floating right underneath the surface, and are not eating or swimming around, like they usually do.

Pictures:  

Full tank shot:  

2. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

They look fine. Has anything changed at all? Have you done anything different? Maybe the last water change was a bit iffy, it happens.
    Any different behaviour in the other fish?
    What water changes do you do?

Are they all female? A male would liven them up somewhat.

3. AkarHiwaNew MemberMember

The only thing I can think of that has changed is that I removed a homemade extension on where the waterflow comes out, which I pointed at the surface to create some surface agitation for oxygen reasons. I have now aimed it at the tank wall so the water is pretty calm for them now. I did a 30-40% water changed yesterday, but they were also like this before the water change.

No different behaviour in the other fish.
    I do a water change every week, around 20-30%, sometimes 40%.

The gouramis are 3 female and one male.

4. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

How long have you had the gourami? If a a recent addition, did you quarantine them? Mine showed Camallanus worms after about 6 months. They looked ok but one was getting thin and I noticed little red worms protruding from it's anus . I treated with Levamisole twice and they are ok. Tempted to retreat again (2.5 yrs later) as two look thin again but don't see any worms this time.

My gourami (4 pearl all female) can be moody. I changed the flow and then they hid for a month behind some Amazon swords where it was calm. I changed it again to "force them out". Also tank mates could be an issue. I had German blue Rams for about 8 months, they quickly displaced the gourami as tank boss while they were around.

Finally , don't underestimate how ambient environment affects them. Did the lighting change in the room? Mine spook easily when shadows are cast into the tank. Mine seem to be always hungry though.

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

How does the male behave and look ?

6. AkarHiwaNew MemberMember

I did not quarantine them, but the store I bought them from does, if that makes any difference. I've had them for a full year now, and haven't shown any signs of problems before this. They did not use to be this timid and scared every time I approach the tank.

Right now I keep the lights in the room they are off, and try and keep it as dim as possible in general.

Has lost a bit of colour, and is quite timid, shy and scared. Occasionally he will dart to the bottom of the tank and hide behind my plants, before coming to the top and once again just stand still.

As a general update, today I tried to dip their food in garlic juice before feeding. One of them ate a pellet, chewed it a little then spat it out. She repeated this a few times. I then tried to feed with the flakes, which two of them ate and kept down! I don't wanna get too optimistic, but I guess that's better than yesterday.

Should I try a de-wormer just in case it's a parasite? Don't really know where to go from here. They are still not acting right.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could you put the extension back and see what happens. No change in lighting ?

8. AkarHiwaNew MemberMember

There has been no change in lighting. When they began this behaviour I've increased the hours of the day the light is off to reduce stress, and I only turn on 2/4 lights for the same reason.

I'll put the extension back on in a few hours when I get home

9. AkarHiwaNew MemberMember

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post a happy update.

At feeding time today all 4 gouramis were eating flakes, and were showing a big appetite. They are also showing more of their normal behaviour, swimming all around the tank, feeling each other, doing a bit of chasing.

I don't know what they had, or what helped them beat it(aquarium salt or garlic juice), but I think they are "back on track".

Thanks so much for all the help

10. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Glad to hear that. My pearls can be moody at times too. They hid from me for a whole month once.