Pearl Gouramis -get more now, later, or never

sillylittlefishey

At the beginning of last month I bought 4 pearl gourami for my 55 gallon aquarium. The were meant to be the main focus of the tank. I put them in quarantine and they will be the first inhabitants of the main tank. They are only about an inch or so big and are too young to determine gender. I've enjoyed watching them in QT... they would all swim together in a line. Then a few weeks ago, one of them died. I'm not sure what happened to that one. Water parameters were good (0 Ammonia 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates (I bit higher than I like to keep it) Ph 7), nothing had changed, and nobody has shown any signs of sickness. Now I have 3 left and they don't interact quite the same. They will occasionally swim together but not like before. Also one of them now chases the other two around.... I haven't seen anything super aggressive though. I will probably move them to the main tank next week. Anyway, I did want 4 so now I'm trying to decide do I ...

A) Get 1 or 2 more while they're all young
B) Move forward with just the 3 and hope for the best as far as genders and them all getting along.
C) Wait until they are older and can be sexed and *try* to find one in store that can be sexed and will go with the current m/f ratio.

This is the first time I've had pearls or a group of gourami period so I'd love opinions for those that are more experienced with them.

EdieBadedie

My guess would be the one you lost was a female and now they're might be an unequal m/f ratio. Or, they are just getting used to the new "pack". I think as long as they aren't really hurting or chasing one another, it would be okay to wait. If you wanted to get some now, ask your LFS if you can exchange them if the ratio is off when they are able to be sexed. Mine will let you swap them out

ProudPapa

If your tank will have room, I'd go ahead and put those three in it when they get out of quarantine, then get at least three more. I've had nine in a 40 gallon breeder for quite a while (see School of Pearl Gouramis?).

I certainly won't say that it's not better to have more females than males, but I wound up with the ratio pretty badly skewed the other way, and so far it's working okay.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
JessieBird
  • Question
Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
Replies