Pearl Gourami sexing?

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI y'all!

I recently got a pearl gouramI that I think is female, and some folks suggested that I add a male to my 20 gallon (high) so they can be a pair. So I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is she actually female?
  2. Is two pearls too much for a 20?
    • It seems like pushing it with the available surface area, but she also uses the entire tank to swim around as opposed to just the top, so I'm not really sure if they would feel cramped or not.
  3. What is she doing in the last photo? She kept her body in that weird "s" shape for like a minute, wiggling and facing toward me, and it looked kind of like she was trying to "flare" at me or something. She hasn't done it since, either.
And, completely unrelated: pearl gouramis are amazing!! She is so active, colorful, and she eats like an absolute hog. She still hides if I get too close to the glass but she's getting braver by the day and I'm absolutely in love.

Attachments

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a female. I'd say they get too big for a 20 unfortunately, especially a 20 tall.

OP
Lakenvelderin

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
I would say female based on dorsal fin
jinjerJOSH22
Thanks!

Feohw said:
That's a female. I'd say they get too big for a 20 unfortunately, especially a 20 tall.
Gotcha. From what I've researched, they do alright in 20s as long as water parameters/etc. are good, but I will keep an eye on her!

OP
Lakenvelderin

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
I don't think 20 talls are appropriate, 20 longs are the better
Understood, I'll keep an eye on her and if she seems stressed or cramped at all I will find a 20 long.

New Threads