Pearl Gourami Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mjryan, Apr 20, 2019.

1. mjryanValued MemberMember

Hello all,
    Would a single pearl gourami be ok in this 33 gallon?. I just set it up yesterday, I used cycled media but its dirt so I'm going to wait a bit to add more fish. I'm just wondering if the tank is to short. I also wanted a pair of apistos at a later date as well. I will also be adding endlers. There's a pair in there now to help keep the bacteria fed. I am waiting on dwarf sag and I'm going to get more frog bit from another one of my tanks. I plan on adding a cave besides the hollow drift wood for the apistos.
    Thanks, Matt [​IMG]

2. Nick72Valued MemberMember

Yes a single Pearl will be fine, also he will probably ignore the Apistogramma.

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Why not a couple of Pearls. I really don't like single fish.

4. mjryanValued MemberMember

That's sounds fine to me would a pair of Pearl's and a pair of cockatoo apistos be ok?
    I've ever kept dwarf gouramis and the don't care for their own kind much it seems
    Thanks.

5. CrispiiValued MemberMember

That size of a tank should be fine for pearl gourami.

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

A real couple of Pearls won't leave each others side. Did you maybe keep two male DG's.

7. mjryanValued MemberMember

Yes I tried keeping two dwarfs in a 55, I had to return one of them to my lfs. Never kept pearls.

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

If they were two males it is quite logicall they don't look at each other. They would even kill each other if the time is "right".

Pearls are normally quite laid back an friendly fish. The hard part is to get a male and a female (hard to sex).

Take care for some plants and floaters to hide in / under.

9. mjryanValued MemberMember

Thank you, and yep that's the plan, hard to see but there is quite a few plants in there now behind the driftwood, also adding dwarf sage and alot more frogbit. I also have a lone female betta who seems pretty laid back, would she be ok in there too?

10. CrispiiValued MemberMember

I agree with @DoubleDutch. For the most part, pearls are peaceful. However, you might get one that is a little on the aggressive side. I used to own a pearl gourami that would constantly harass my molly and chases everyone away when it's feeding time despite having put a lot of food in the tank.

11. CrispiiValued MemberMember

A lot of people recommend not putting bettas with gouramis. However, it can be done, depending on the temperament of the betta. I used to keep a male betta with honey gouramis and he ignore them! :)

12. mjryanValued MemberMember

Well I guess I can try it, I'll just keep her tank set up and if it doesn't work I'll move her back in.