Pearl Gourami Pair: When is it playful vs. harassment?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Juhason, Jan 7, 2013.

1. JuhasonNew MemberMember

I just recently got 2 new pearl gouramis. The first one I got about 5 days before the second one, since it appeared very lonely and was EXTREMELY reclusive and shy. At first the gouramis were very calm and friendly with each other, my first gourami immediately brightened up. But now my first gourami is chasing the second one, and the second gourami seems to desperately be trying to get away, but when she tires out, the first one doesn't attack her, he just lightly pecks her lower abdomen. (Looks like little kisses, quite adorable actually.) But I don't want her to be stressed out, especially because I JUST got her. As for the sexes, I originally thought that my first one was a female, but it is now beginning to show a lot more red all over it's body. The second one looks exactly like my first one used to, so while I think I have a male and female pair, I'm not entirely sure. The dorsal fins don't seem to help me as they look both well rounded and pointy at the same time. Maybe I just don't know the difference? ANYWAYS, my question is, is this just harmless playing, them trying to mate, or is it harassment?

2. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

If one is hiding that means it is stressed. Sounds like harassment to me. Normally pearls are kept in groups to prevent fighting. So you may want to get another. If you can post pictures of your two fish then I could sex them for you.

3. JuhasonNew MemberMember

Well surprisingly it's not really hiding all that much, but even if it was I got it about 3 or 4 hours ago so I feel it would be from that. I'll try and go take some pictures.

4. JuhasonNew MemberMember

IMG_0660.jpgIMG_0662.jpgIMG_0664.jpg

Sorry the quality is not too great, I only had my phone.
    They were actually together and not chasing each other when I walked in, but who knows.

5. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Those are great photos! Are they brand new to the tank? They look pretty comfortable. I think they're both girls.

6. JuhasonNew MemberMember

Thank you! :) Yes they are, the first one I got about 5 days ago, only started showing itself when I got my second one though, which was today.
    Well that's good to know, thank you! ^_^

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would not add another gourami because of the tank size. If the tank were 36" long, then I would say okay. I think you should hope the 2 females get along and be happy if they do. They are a group oriented fish, so you may see some aggression you wouldn't otherwise see, but they are not known to be very aggressive so you'll just have to watch the one for signs it's being bullied.

8. JuhasonNew MemberMember

Actually it is a 36" long tank. My dimensions are strange I got it from a garage sale. :) But they are getting along fine now, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice