Pearl gourami not eating

Discussion in 'Pearl Gourami' started by el337, Aug 7, 2015.

1. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

So I just got a pearl gourami today and when it came time for feeding (brine shrimp), it didn't even try to eat. Just stayed in the back of the tank while her tank mates gorged themselves.

I know they are typically a shy fish and don't really get comfortable for a while but not even to eat? Is there something else I should feed her?

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yep, they don't get comfortable for awhile, not even to eat, at least in my experience.

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Awww... I feel so bad. And she is so skittish too... one slight movement from a fish getting too close and she starts spazzing out. Knocked herself around a bit against the tank glass because she was so skittish. :( So, give it a couple of weeks you think?

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Agree there. It defo has to adapt. Does it have some (floating)plants in there ??

6. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Feeding fish on the first day in a new tank is usually pointless. They're under mass amounts of stress at the time and tend not to want to eat as a result.

It's nothing to worry about. Fish can go weeks without food without any problems. Two months is about the limit where most start to suffer health issues from starvation.

Give your gourami a week or so to settle in. When you notice the fish getting more comfortable in its surroundings, then try feeding it. If it doesn't eat, wait a few days and try again.

7. DoubleDutch

Btw : did you get a single one ??

8. OP
    OP
    el337

I have some frogbit and a few other plants, driftwood and a rock cave. All of which she hides behind.

Yes she's the only gourami I got. You think I should get another female or male? I didn't want any territorial issues or breeding. But you think that will help at least?

9. DoubleDutch

What tanksize do you have? If this defo is a female I'd get her a male.
    Pearls aren't very territorial and normally quite peacefull (in right sized tanks !!).

10. OP
    OP
    el337

It's a 46g with 2 Kribs, 6 corys, 5 neon tetras, 4 guppies and 4 Amano shrimp.

11. OP
    OP
    el337

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439037826.800406.jpg

And here's a pic.

12. DoubleDutch

I'd say young male.

13. OP
    OP
    el337

Oh really? I was looking for the dorsal fin that extends to the tail but since this one didn't I thought it was a she. Hmmm I guess with juveniles it's hard to tell. Guess I have to think of a male name now. Lol

14. DoubleDutch

The dorsal already looks too long to be a female to my believe.

15. OP
    OP
    el337

Hoping for the great coloring then that males have. Maybe I will add a female later. :)

16. DoubleDutch

The orange won't be there constantly. It is matingcolor !! Wait to we're defo sure it is a male and defo get a female then. Two males means warrrr !

17. OP
    OP
    el337

No I definitely don't want war! Will be a while til add any new fish anyway. :)

18. OP
    OP
    el337

Surprisingly, he/she has been a little more out and about considering it's only been the 2nd day. It even took a couple of bites of the mini pellets I fed tonight even though it spit them back out. lol... i guess mini pellets aren't his/her thing.

It is exploring a little more around the tank though it is still a bit skittish and stays mainly towards the back and corners of the tank.

19. Thomas Lin

Thomas LinValued MemberMember

I am almost certain it is a female. Also mine hid in the back corner of the tank for 2 days when I first got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. OP
    OP
    el337

I have no idea. I guess I'll take more pics as it matures a bit and let you guys tell me for certain.

It is a bit funny considering she's the biggest fish in the tank and the one most afraid of everyone else.

Thanks again for the frogbit. She likes resting below them in one corner a lot. :)