Pearl Gourami In A Communty Tank. Good Idea?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I am still trying to figure out the stocking for my 29 gal. So far I have 9 Sterbai and 5 Julli Corydoras. 1 male Dwarf Gourami, 1 female Platy, Amano Shrimp and 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco.

I am thinking about returning my Dwarf Gourami as it seems he is really limiting what other types of fish I can have.

I saw Pearl Gourami's and they are gorgeous. It said they were timid and shy and do better with fish who are the same. All of my fish are the same, well they are all very docile fish.

My question is will a Pearl Gourami be a good "centerpiece fish" if I return the Dwarf and will it swim around the middle and top sections of the tank? Are they so shy that I won't see it half the time?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I've heard pearls are one of the most peaceful cichlids. I think he will be okay but wait for other opinions I'm not 100% sure.

3. OP
    OP
    O

I think they are gorgeous and I'd love to add one to my order. If they really peaceful then it'll be perfect. Plus it's even bigger so I won't need any Tetras.

4. Kenny777

Rehome the dwarf if you want a pearl

5. OP
    OP
    O

Yep. I already decided to check to see if I can add a pearl to my order with the Crayfish. If I can I'll take the Dwarf back or find him a good home.

6. Kenny777

You tanks are gonna look outstanding!! Can you ask your son if he likes snakes?

7. OP
    OP
    O

He's in bed, sorry. It's almost midnight here.

8. Kenny777

Oh okay XD I'm just asking questions time from time to give me an idea what he likes ;)

9. OP
    OP
    O

Ok. No worries. I'll see if he wants to get on with me tomorrow.

10. Kenny777

Okay we will start discussing tomorrow I'm kinda of a reptile geek :p

Well gtg good night!!

11. OP
    OP
    O

Sounds good. :) Good night!

12. Kenny777

Well I can stay up my parents let me :p

13. OP
    OP
    O

Lucky!
    I think he does like snakes, but I don't. lol Only lizards in my house. I actually used to catch Bearded Dragons by my house growing up. There were hundreds of them and we'd catch everything from tiny little dime sized babies to 4-5 in. adults. Can't believe how much they charge for them now. I could have made a pretty penny selling them if I had known. lol

14. Kenny777

Cool I was gonna name a beginner snake he could have which was a corn snake :p that sounds awesome all I catch are gekos and anoles

Lol you could be made a fortune!

15. OP
    OP
    O

Well I decided to hold off on the Pearl Gourami. I think they are gorgeous, but my Dwarf is doing great with everyone and I don't wanna "rock the boat" so to speak. Maybe I'll find some nice little Tetras soon or just keep it as it is.

16. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

yeah good idea in the end, I wouldn't do a pearl in a 29g , IMO not enough space. I would just go with some harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs ect..

17. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks. I had wondered about that as well. Everywhere says they get to different sizes, but most agree on 4-5 being normal and I had wondered if it would feel too cramped.
    I was actually thinking about some Cherry Barbs.
    I'm gonna wait a bit though.

18. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

That's correct they get to about 4.5-5" , but some will say a Pearl is fine in a 29g but I don't think so ,just like I don't think Anglefish should be in a 29g either but some do.

19. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The pearl gourami is also not temp compatible with platies, anyways.
    Pearl gourami aren't cichlids.

20. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Lol, yeah, pearl gouramis aren't cichlids. Good choice on sticking with the DG.