Question Pearl Gourami -- I think she's a she?

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Folks,

I picked up a pearl last week and have had her in quarantine. I just ordered some floating plants for cover, and I am going to wait for the plants to arrive before I mover her over to the main tank. I am pretty sure that she's a she, but I thought I would post a picture and ask if anyone can confirm this.

Thank you,

Attachments

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, she's a she! Although the question is now whether or not she is in fact a pearl gourami...most pearls I see have a stripe running down the middle, and some amount of red on the underside? Hmm...

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting. She has a black stripe, but it is not showing in most of the pics. There is no direct light on my quarantine tank, so it is probably playing tricks on the camera. Also, she has very small amount of of red on her bottom fin (sorry, don't know the name of that fin). I have attached another pic.

Attachments

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She's definitely a pearl, it's just taking her a while to settle in and color up. Once she gets into your main tank and gets some plant cover and hiding places, she's going to get a lot more comfortable.

mcsquizzy928

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you should think about getting more gouramies, I have two fire dwarfs ( I think thats what theyre called) their the same shape and size but have orange red and blue

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was thinking of adding a male. That's why I wanted to verify that she was a she.

If I were to add a male, how important is it to add a second female? The reason I ask is that I feel that I am pretty close to being fully stocked and don't want to over do it.

Thanks for all of the input...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
you should think about getting more gouramies, I have two fire dwarfs ( I think thats what theyre called) their the same shape and size but have orange red and blue
I have to completely disagree. Gouramis are touchy fish, especially if the tank is the 27 hex. There's a good chance you're going to run into trouble....

I was thinking of adding a male. That's why I wanted to verify that she was a she.

If I were to add a male, how important is it to add a second female? The reason I ask is that I feel that I am pretty close to being fully stocked and don't want to over do it.

Thanks for all of the input...
I would not add another gourami to the tank. There is not enough surface space to accomomidate multiple gouramis, again assuming the tank is the 27 hex in your tank info.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee, thanks for the heads-up. Yes, my tank info is accurate, it's a 27 Hex. I certainly prefer to err on the side of caution, so I will just stick with my lady here.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A male has the orange belly and chest. I also would say to not get another Gourami. They do best solo unless a very large tank or for breeding only.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom