pearl gourami gasps for air after PWC, WHY? Question 

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had this PG(female i think) since easter and whenever I do the weekly 25% PWC the pearl will be at the surface gasping for air this goes on for about 2 hours.

No other fish do this(2 x angel & 6 CT).

Then for the rest of the week she is OK.

I use aqua safe to condition the water. I aim to get the water to within 1C of the tank temp

about 30min after the PWC is complete I give them their weekly treat of frozen blood worms.

The PG watches as the others fight each OTHER as they gobble down the bloodworms

So why does the PG act this way after the PWC?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've noticed mine do that to. I think they may be skimming the surface for minute particles of food that have been stirred up. That's my guess. I've had my pearls for over a year now, so it's not something I'm worried about.

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
u could be so right
because the eating habits are very different

the angels will hang near the top, then go up and take a bite, hang back and chew and then go for another bite

the cardinal tetras from the middle of the tank will dart up to the surface for a bite and come back down or dart around for any food sinking

the PG just stays at the surface sucking it in, like my nephew said when i was pointing out the eating habits to him "she is like a vacuum cleaner"

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi
are you sure she's not stressed?
I have one in my ten gallon, I know it's alittle small but I have live plants and water changes every two days and none of my gouramis ever do this
make sure she's not getting bullied and the water conditions are good
Have you considered the idea of flukes or other gill parasites? The other fish might be stronger and handle the flukes without trouble but when a fish is stressed it'll be weakened and the flukes might have gotten out of control!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads