Help Pearl gourami breeding

pogstar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two pearl gouramis, one has it's full breeding colours and the other looks as if it's swelling with eggs, but it's got a lining of orange on its bottom fin. if it's swelling with eggs how long until the male will build the bubble nest?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He should soon start gathering bits of plants and building a bubble nest in one of the corners of the tank.
Carol

pogstar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, so how do you tell if she is swelling with eggs? And is she even a female if shes got that line of orenge? Thanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she is filling with eggs she will look like she has swallowed a pea
Carol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore(If i havent already)
im concerned with the orange....make sure its not red from ammonia...when was the tank started? ....do you know your tank readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? you have angels, mollies, and 2 pearls in a 13g tank and that is a concern that its more of an aggression issue than breeding as that tank is severely overstocked unfortunately......getting a pic might help us more good luck with things!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good catch Shawnie! I was reading 50g duh! That definitely isn't big enough.

When the gouramis do breed they will most likely kill everybody else in such a small tank. They are very aggressive when spawning.

I believe the male is the one that get the orange on him when he is in breeding colors. are you sure you have male and female?
This is a pic of pearl gouramis in breeding colors

Carol

Last edited:

pogstar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so the female doesn't have any colouration on her? even if it looks like shes got eggs??

pogstar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hang on, just checked that site, thats exactly wat my pair look like. But how come he isn't building the bubble nest??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom