Pearl gourami breeding Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by pogstar, Apr 8, 2010.

1. p

pogstar Valued Member Member

I have two pearl gouramis, one has it's full breeding colours and the other looks as if it's swelling with eggs, but it's got a lining of orange on its bottom fin. if it's swelling with eggs how long until the male will build the bubble nest?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

He should soon start gathering bits of plants and building a bubble nest in one of the corners of the tank.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    p

Ok, so how do you tell if she is swelling with eggs? And is she even a female if shes got that line of orenge? Thanks

4. Butterfly

If she is filling with eggs she will look like she has swallowed a pea :)
    Carol

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore(If i havent already)
    im concerned with the orange....make sure its not red from ammonia...when was the tank started? ....do you know your tank readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? you have angels, mollies, and 2 pearls in a 13g tank and that is a concern that its more of an aggression issue than breeding as that tank is severely overstocked unfortunately......getting a pic might help us more :) good luck with things!

6. Butterfly

Good catch Shawnie! I was reading 50g duh! That definitely isn't big enough.

When the gouramis do breed they will most likely kill everybody else in such a small tank. They are very aggressive when spawning.

I believe the male is the one that get the orange on him when he is in breeding colors. are you sure you have male and female?
    This is a pic of pearl gouramis in breeding colors

Carol

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    p

so the female doesn't have any colouration on her? even if it looks like shes got eggs??

8. OP
    OP
    p

hang on, just checked that site, thats exactly wat my pair look like. But how come he isn't building the bubble nest??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice