Pearl Gourami Behaviour Help Question

Discussion in 'Pearl Gourami' started by Ryan P, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

Hi I bought a Pearl Gourami last Monday. I know sometimes it takes a while for a fish to get used to their new place. But this is the longest for me so far. He's still a juvenile about 2-3 in long so not sure about the sex yet. He's still trying to hidr everytime I approach the tank. I know he swims around because I can see him dashing from top to his hiding spot when I slowly sneak up on the tank. Also evrynight he/she stays on top and probably sleeps there when I check on them before going to sleep and I can even pet him lol. Just worried because I really don't see him/her eat.

2. Salty Betta

Salty BettaValued MemberMember

Hey, Gourami's are extremely shy fish and generally take a while to get used to their new tank. My three spot gourami just started darting around the whole tank when I approached the tank, and it did not eat at all for the first 3 days. But after like a month it got much more bold. Now after 6 months, it's like the king of the tank lol, first one to eat in line. I Nothing to worry about in my opinion, most gouramis take about a month to get used to their new tank, but after that, they are so cute ;)

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't keep Pearls alone.
    It will have to adapt. Are there floaters in ?

4. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

ok thanks! just not use to it because when I got my previous gourami( Powder Blue DG, he passed away though because of the iridovirus) he only warmed up for a day then became very interactive right away until he passed.

it's in my community tank. but are you talking about getting more pearl?
    it's hard to find adult pearl where I'm at and just trying to avoid getting all males since it can cause problems, yes there's horwort, frogbit and dwarf lettuce. that's actually where he/she hangsout at night and stay there until morning.

5. Salty Betta

Its just sad, my first dward gourami died of irridovirus too. It died slowly over a course of 7 days, and it was so painful too just watch it die a lil more everyday and not do anything about it

6. Alex Pasquale

Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

I actually own 2 Pearls' and I've had them both for about 8 months now, they are very very shy and skiddish fish so don't worry about that. They will always be that way unless you spend hours and hours sitting in front of your tank so they can get use to your presence. I actually pet both of my Gouramis when they are feeding. If you don't see him/her eating leave the room and peak around the corner and watch. Great choice on the Pearls though, they are gorgeous fish once they grow a bit more.

7. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Thank you, since it's a community tank I was just worried if he/she is getting food. And like I've mentioned my Dwarf Gourami was different so I though they would be the same. Need to wait a little bit before getting another one to make sure I don't get 2 Males and have stocking problems. And yeah I only get to pet him/her at night, I'm not sure if just asleep on don't mind me when lights are off.

8. Salty Betta

I did exactly the same thing when feeding with my blue gourami for the first month. Now it eats right out of my hands. Great funny fish to have once they get used to you.

9. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

My Pearl is showing progress now, I see him swimming all over the place when I'm not in front of the tank. Yesterday I stood a bit farther and stood still and he/she came out. I slow approached the front 1 step at a time everytime I move he/she moves back back little like will hide but stays, I got 3 steps closer before he/she completely hid. So I'd consider that Good Progress LOL

10. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Guess I got lucky. The male pearl I put in my office tank 6 weeks ago, greets me every morning when I walk in and turn the light on, waiting to get fed.

Loved him so much I moved 4-5 fish out of my community at home and added one there.

I come home from work, he greets me at the top, waiting to get fed.

Took about a week or 2 for them to get great color and keep it.

The 2Xs a week dose of frozen brine shrimp probably helped the color.

Edit: but I believe the floating plants really help them feel secure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice