Pearl Gourami behavior change…

Motherlovebetta

I have 5 Pearl Gourami in my 75g tank. It’s heavily planted, lots of hiding space. The past week at least they have all gotten very pale (four of them I can barely see the black stripes down the side) and they have become very skittish. They are hanging out in the back of the tank in the dwarf water lettuce at the top of the tank. Otherwise they appear healthy and eat. They usually were the first ones to meet me for feeding time. I have had the Pearl Gourami-two for 9 months and the other three for 7 months. Nothing has changed in the tank except the addition of two zebra loaches 3 weeks ago for a total of 7 and the loaches are more active now. My parameters are ph 7.6, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. I’m not sure what is going on with them. Is it possible the loaches are stressing them out now that they are outnumbered? I’m happy to get more Pearls? Are they breeding age now and I’m missing something in regards to that? I believe they are all 5 female maybe 4 F/1M.

jinjerJOSH22

Hoi, what is the temperature of the tank? Any changes to lighting? Removal of floaters etc...?
Any changes to the outside of the tank? More movement or something like that.

I’m not sure what is going on with them. Is it possible the loaches are stressing them out now that they are outnumbered?
I imagine this isn't the case, but if it is they should get used to it in time. Mine where kept with a group of 8 Zebras.
I’m happy to get more Pearls?
Never a bad idea if you have the space ;)

I believe they are all 5 female maybe 4 F/1M.
Personally I always like a male in the group, gives a more natural dynamic to their behaviour, though I doubt this is the reason.

Motherlovebetta

Hoi, what is the temperature of the tank? Any changes to lighting? Removal of floaters etc...?
Any changes to the outside of the tank? More movement or something like that.

-Temp is at 79F. I did add a bigger light a few months ago. I upgraded from a 50g to a 75g but I’d say the light is comparable to how it was prior.

I was going to remove some of the floaters only because there are so many they are in clumps, but I don’t have to if you think that will make it worse. No more movement outside than normal.

I imagine this isn't the case, but if it is they should get used to it in time. Mine where kept with a group of 8 Zebras.
Ok, good they don’t seem to pester them or anything they are just….loaches and are active.

Never a bad idea if you have the space ;)
I’ve been thinking of it. They are the only fish at the top of the tank and they really stay there.
Personally I always like a male in the group, gives a more natural dynamic to their behaviour, though I doubt this is the reason.
A couple of them still seem hard to sex so I was trying to make sure I didn’t have too many males.

Motherlovebetta

CBD7B754-4274-49F1-9BDE-BA95A995EE14.jpeg
I am getting a good look at them today and I may have more males than I thought.

jinjerJOSH22

CBD7B754-4274-49F1-9BDE-BA95A995EE14.jpeg
I am getting a good look at them today and I may have more males than I thought.
Not sure what you are referring to in the photo(on mobile at the moment)?

Motherlovebetta

Not sure what you are referring to in the photo(on mobile at the moment)?
Oh sorry meant I am wondering if there are more males than females and thats why they are more pale. That was the best picture I could get of them.

jinjerJOSH22

Oh sorry meant I am wondering if there are more males than females and thats why they are more pale. That was the best picture I could get of them.
Oh I see. I'm fairly sure you have all females, they all look fairly plump in the body and if you've had them for seven plus months it should be fairly obvious if you had a male or even multiple males in the group. In the case of multiple males, at least one of them should be brightly coloured and have the fin extensions at this point.

Motherlovebetta

Just got back from LFS. Got three more. Little but hoping for one male…..guessing they are all females. I’m acclimating them and the old ones have all come out of hiding and are swimming around them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hannah M
Replies
Views
CraniumRex
Replies
Views
Tscott667
Replies
Views