Pearl Gourami - 55g What Else?

1. Sarssio

Sarssio New Member Member

This is my first time posting so bear with me.

Okay, so long story short I was checking out our local fish store for a betta. Ended up taking home a one-eyed female Pearl Gourami. She is awesome, and swimming around in a 15g currently, using her blind side fins to make sure not to run into things.

Now that I have her, she will soon be moving into my 55g once it's done cycling. I'm going to be completely honest, I didn't deeply research this type of fish before buying (impulse) however, I do know not to keep two males together, and that Pearls tend to be on the more docile side... for a gourami.

I was thinking of adding maybe 1 male and 1-2 more females in with her (do they all need to be pearls as well), and then maybe 2-3 other species. I do plan on using live plants, so I don't want anything that will be digging those up too often.. like my platy, lol.

I'm afraid that this all doesn't make sense, I tend to just "go with the flow" lol.
    But basically... do you all have any ideas for tankmates?

Im going to try and add a photo of miss one eye.

Attached Files:

2. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
    What are your aquarium dimensions?
    What kind of fish do you like? schooling fish?

I would not mix different Gouramies

3. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Dimensions are 121cm long x 45cm wide x 45cm tall. Technically a 205 liter, which is just under 55g I believe. I'm honestly pretty new to the fish scene, so I'm not sure what kinds I really like, haha. I do like a more active, schooling fish rather than slow ones like my angels. I'm certainly open to all suggestions.

I figured mixing different types wasn't a good idea, still glad I asked. They usually have a few Pearls, so at least those will be easy to obtain.

4. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I am not a Stocking Expert So you must wait for more suggestions!

You can do this :
    10 or 12 lemon Tetra/Rummynose Tetra/Cherry Barbs/Black Neons/Neon Tetra
    2/3 Pearl Female Gourami
    3/4 Male Platies (if you do not want fry)
    6 or 8 Bronze Cories

Sorry, I can not help you more than this! @BottomDweller can help you with this

post your Aquarium photos as soon as you finished Cycling it!

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to fishlore! :D

I would do this
    2-3 pearl gouarmis
    2 GBR (add these last as they can be sensitive and do best in an established tank
    12 cherry barbs or congo tetras or harlequin rasboras
    15 Bronze/albino cories or kuhli loaches
    1 Clown pleco (make sure you have driftwood for these guys)

Keep the tank at 80f

Platies prefer cooler water

6. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

I will for sure! Still probably a good couple weeks out though! lol

I don't know about those GBRs, lol. I am a fan of cherry barbs and Kuhli loaches, though I was afraid the loaches might get picked on being small?

Also, I was wandering through our fish store seeing what all they had and they have these long finned rainbow tetras... I would love to add some of those if that would work!

I do have to say, out of all my tanks, Miss Pete is already my favorite fish

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

What's wrong with the GBR? they arnt as sensitive as many make it out to be , do I agree they should be in established tanks yes, but I wouldn't worry to to much on them.

your kuhli loaches will be fine with the pearls , pearls are peaceful gouramis.

do you have a pic of this long fin rainbow tetras?

8. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Between them being more sensitive and me not being a huge fan of how they look, I'll probably pass, lol. Especially being new to the hobby.

Good to know about the kuhlis! Been eyeing them for a while!

This isn't a picture of them from the store, but this is what they look like.

Attached Files:

9. JesseMoreira06

unfortunately they won't work out since Neon Tetras need water temp between 72-74f where as pearl gouramis thrive in water between 78-82f.

do you like apistogrammas ?

10. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Darn, so no leeway there. Probably a good thing as they were a few shiny pennies lol

I had to look those up. Wow. Those are interesting fish. They don't have those in the store though, so they aren't an option this time :/

11. JesseMoreira06

haha yess , it's best to stick away from them since they arnt temp compatible anyways

oh okay since you don't want GRB and can't get apisto I would suggest something similar to this

3 Pearl Gouramis
    10 Cherry Barbs
    10 Diamond Tetras
    15 Kuhli Loaches
    1 Zebra Pleco or Clown Pleco

here is a pic of my male apisto , maybe you could try ordering online if your willing , their fantastic fish , one of my favorite bottom dwelling cichlids to keep.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

I'm in a military base in Japan, so ordering live fish is tricky, lol. Now, the plecos... since this tank will hopefully be fairly planted, will they tear up the plants at all? I had a common pleco in one of my tanks for a short bit (long story) and she would constantly uproot all the plants, haha.

13. JesseMoreira06

are you serving in the military?(sorry if it's a weird question)

Pleco shouldn't give problems with uprooting plants, majority of the time the reasonimg is if they are left under fed or not enough space. Common Plecos can get well over a foot long and shouldn't be in any aquarium smaller then 125g+. So make sure if you do get a pleco it's a zebra or Clown Pleco, they will only get 4-5" in size.

14. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Nah, it's not weird, haha. I'm out now, my husband is still in. Since our PO BOX is techcnically an American address... it's complicated getting anything from a place other than the states, lol.

I wasn't even looking at the plecos at the store, since I thought they'd all tear up plants, haha. And yeah, I totally get that about the commons. Last owner had her and another along with 20+ guppies in a 20gallon tank. Their tank burst and I got them all, haha. One pleco didn't make it, the other one now shares a 150g with a flowerhorn, and the guppies are food for my Axolotls.

15. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

My cousin lived on a US military base in Japan for a while a few years back, Okinawa I think? She left after she got a divorce, haha. Anyways, it should be pretty easy shipping apistos from the US. And I can also personally say that GBRs aren't really sensitive at all. I was honestly pretty intimidated when I got my boy, thought I was gonna be testing the water all the time, doing constant water changes, babying him pretty much. I don't do anything special for him. I just kinda threw him in and he's been perfectly fine. Really interactive, personable little fish.

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Jesse's and BD's advice. What about cardinal tetras instead of neons? They'd be temp-compatible.

17. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Alright here's a little update of what I'm planning as of now. Correct me if I'm crazy.

3 Pearl Gourami, all female (haven't found any flashy males)

10 Cardinal Tetras (mer, lol)

10 Kuli Loaches (btw didn't realize they came is different colors/ shades!!)

I'd love to add some platys. From what I've looked up about them, they seem like they'd be a good mix but I'm throwing it out here as well:

Then just because I've decided on black sand and a black background, still deciding on what plants to attempt adding though.

Since I've got you all, to make sure these are platys before I buy (labels in Japanese) could you identify these two for me?

Attached Files:

18. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Both are mollies, think the yellow one was a lyretail. Platies are usually fatter and not as long.

19. OP
    OP
    Sarssio

Dangit! Man I thought they would have looked amazing too! Especially the white ones. Lol

20. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I think the orange on glowlight tetras would go well with the orange on female pearl gourami's fins. I would recommend getting a school of 20 to 30 or so glowlight tetras and no cardinal tetras. My preference is generally a larger school of one fish, than multiple smaller schools of different fish in big aquariums, but you don't have to go that route.