Pearl Danios have white spots Help 

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought my first fish last Sunday, six Pearl Danios, who seem to have settled in well to my Rio 240. However, I think I have my first fish illness to deal with already...

• One Danio has 2 ~1mm spots (one on mouth, one of right flank, first noticed 2 days ago when not as intense)
    One Danio has 1 spot (on mouth, not quite as intense a white as other, only spotted this last night)
    There are 10 Rabbit Snials in the tank
    The tank is quite heavily planted

I was planning to get a quarantine tank anyway, for when I was hoping to get my second fish next weekend, but now my hand has been forced a few days earlier...

If I buy a "cheap" kids style tank from Pets@Home this morning and add water from my Rio tank (which reads NH3 and NO2 zero, NO3 10mg/l):-

• How soon could I place all 6 danios in there to begin Protozin treatment?
    Can I safely place the Juwel filter baskets in the quarantine tank to keep the water safe for the fish, without risking the health of the snails in the Rio tank?
    Am I right in thinking I should raise the water temperature slowly in both tanks to 86F, to speed up the cycle of the ich parasite

Here is a 3 minute video clip, albeit at 90 degrees (oops, novice minicam man) which shows a lot of coverage of the original danio showing the "pimple" on its mouth...

Please bombard me with confidence in threating this properly!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishLore!
Couldn't really get a good look at your fish but the seem to be swimming happily.
If your thinking ICH you can treat it in the original tank by raising the water temps to 84F, doing frequent water changes and substrate vacuums for 14 days. No meds are needed. It's best to treat the whole tank when ICH is suspected because they've all been exposed.
Carol
ICH will look like individual grains of salt.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Carol, I am probably wrong, but I thought that my Rabbit Snails (5 Yellow Antennae; 2 Chocolate Orange Spotted... I think!) might die if I treat the main tank with Protozin or any other white spot treatment, due to the copper in the medication?

Not quite as important, I thought that the treatment would also have a negative effect on my plants?

That's why I was thinking about buying the quarantine tank in an hour, possibly placing the Rio's filter baskets (with carbon removing sponge excluded) into the quarantine tank along with water from the Rio and then treating the Danios with medication in the QT.

If I have read correctly, if I then gradually increase the temperature in both tanks to 84F, the cycle of the parasite would be speeded up. In the QT, the "baby" spores would be killed by the medication, while the spores in the Rio tank would die due to no fish hosts being present for the two week QT period?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your whole tank will be affected if you use meds but as I said you don't have to use meds and can treat the whole tank without moving or endangering anyone
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree with Carol. If one fish in your tank has ICH the entire tank is infected and should be treated with the increased temperature method. Unless the ICH is really severe I wouldn't use any medications.

Leave the temperature raised to 84 -86 degrees for a full two week period. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer water requires more oxygen so an air stone/supply line should be added too.

ICH may appear worse before it gets better. If the fish do have ICH they will look like they've been sprinkled with salt. If the fish only have one or two spots then it could be some type of fungus.

Here is a link that may help you diagnose the problem. Please note there are GRAPHIC photos of fish disease in this link:
https://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perpicture/index.php?Step=2&GalleryId=2
The first few photos are of ICH.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Ken

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have read a little about simply using high temperature to treat Ich...

I'm curious as to why it works:-
Does the higher temp make the fish's immune system go into overdrive and thereby stop the infection?
Are the Ich parasites temperature sensitive and threby die off at 84F over two weeks?
Does the 84F temp promote the growth of something else naturally in the tank water that feeds on Ich?

As this is my first ever tropical fish illness to deal with and there are only 2 spots I can see on the visually most infected Danio, I am going to try and net the poor blighter and take him/her with me to my favourite LFS (Aquajardin) and ask them to help diagnose what is going on...

My worst fear right now is that it might not be Ich and might actually be columnaris, due to the biggest spot on both fish being around the mouth, which I believe needs the opposite temperature change to Ich (needs to be lowered, I do'nt recall the actual temp to drop to)!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

A couple more links that may help.

Ken

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the links, Ken.

The closest thing to what I see at the moment is...
https://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perpicture/index.php?Step=3&GalleryId=2&klickedPic=041_c

Albeit what I see is more like a miniture cotton wool ball to the naked eye (sadly no magnifying glass in the house to help right now).

Thanks again for the input, Carol and Ken, the combination of this infection and really sadly 8 of my 15 Rabbit Snails bought from "Des!" at fishforumsdotnet (I've no way of knowing what caused the deaths, my biggest worry was that each snail was wrapped in a moist bit of kitchen towel in a mini sealed bag, rather than being fully submersed, in case they sufferacated? Were realy well packaged with very warm "giant tea bag) seem to have died before arriving Friday morning, has put a bit of a "dampener" on what had been a great start to a new hobby...

Steve

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The heat works for ICH because it speeds up the ICH life cycle and takes about two weeks for all of them to die.
Be aware that taking the fish to the LFS will most likely have them wanting you to buy several types of meds and treatments. It is their busines to sell you stuff.
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry that you lost some of the snails. I hope you are able to at least get a credit for them. I've never ordered them before but I'm surprised that they weren't in a bag of water. Very odd.
Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The snails should have definitely been packed in water. Sorry you lost them.
Carol

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well this morning I bought a Juwel korall 60 to use as a quarantine tank (missed out on a bargain Aqua 320 for £50 (with heater; filter lighting) by one sale earlier today). I took the blue sponge out of my Rio 240 and used in in the QT's Bio mini, along with ~54l of the Rio tank water. I ended up having to uproot most of the plants in the Rio, along with the bogwood, to catch all six Danios. I was rather panicky doing this phase, as several individuals "froze" and were hyper-ventilating in the corners of the tank.

I swiftly transferred the new patients to the QT and added ~4ml of Protozin, before wrapping a towel round the tank and then going out for lunch with the family (although I was constantly worrying I would come back to at least some dead fish. Thankfully, all six are fine, albeit they are staying down the bottom of the tank (presumeably as the open has no plant cover, whereas the base has the small piece of bogwood and two Anubias nanas secured to it).

The Rio has had a decent gravel stir-up, with debris collected in a net and thrown away. The plants have been re-introduced in a different layout, which I'm now totally not so happy with, but it will do for now! New dechlorinated water has re-filled the Rio and the heater thermostat has been raised to 29C to see if it will help the five "Yellow Antennae" and two "Chocolate Orange Spotted" Rabbit Snails (received from Des! on Friday morning) get a a bit more active... The LFS said they normally receive Apple Snails in similar packaging to my purchased Rabbits, rather than being fully submersed in water.

Its hard to tell if there is any redness to the pimple, which look like tiny cotton wool balls, now on at least two of the Danios (one has two pimples)... They simply move so fast!

The LFS looked at a few more pics I took and commented that the fins looked "clamped" and reckoned it is fungal rather than Ich. Lets hope this works out

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
"day 4" of the Protozin meds is drawing to a close, in fact it has gone past my normal bedtime!

The Danios are not hiding away now and tend to all school together. They have regained their colour aswell, after going rather pale on QT transfer day.

However, at least two fish still has these pimples just below their mouth. I still have the final "day 6" Protozin to add to the QT of Friday, but I was wondering if it would be safe to add API's Pimafix without doing a water change tomorrow, or should I just see what is the state of play come "day 8"?

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Added the final "day 6" dose of Protozin earlier, along with "day 2" dose of Pimafix.

Even after 24 hours of Pimafix, I swear that one of the "pimples" has dramatically reduced in size overnight!

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thought I would add an update to this saga...

Pimafix and Melafix did not clear out this mystery. However, following a 75% water change and "day 2 dose" of Waterlife Myxazin, things are looking very encouraging! Finger crossed we have a winner...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads