Pearl Danio with a patch of protruding scales and white lump underneath

Delicatesla

Hello, all I am just wondering whether anyone can offer me some insight into what is wrong with one of my Pearl Danio's?

About 2 days ago I noticed a couple of pale scales in the affected area and started treating the tank with Melafix as I have invertebrates and Kuhli loaches, it has been protruding ever so more each day and have been scouring the internet for answers but cannot find anything remotely similar to the Danio.
Now it seems like there is a white lump underneath the scales seemingly pushing them up.
Would appreciate some help and answers so I can help my little fella out.
Attaching a picture below, (it looks like he has white spot on his body when i think it's just iridescence as I haven't seen any white spots as of yet on closer inspection),

danio.jpg

Delicatesla

bump

Upvote 0

Dechi

Raised scales can be caused by dropsy. Have you looked into that possibility ?

Upvote 0

Delicatesla

I have looked into that possibility yes, as far as I'm aware Dropsy is a pinecone affect and possibly not a small section?, the area where the white lump is protruding looks a little bloody now. The rest of the tank inhabitants are seemingly fine, I do a 40% water change every 3-4 days and a regular aquarium hoover everyweek. Parameters are perfect, so I'm really confused as to what has brought this on :/

Upvote 0

Dechi

Delicatesla I wish I could help. I hope it gets better.

Upvote 0

Delicatesla

Hey I'm still looking for answers on my Danio, she now has a couple of scales on her left side losing colour (no pineconing) Still very active, eating well but I'm concerned whatever it is could possibly be contagious.

Still treating with Melafix, showed some sign of getting better but now I think it's getting worse.
Thanks

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Hey I'm still looking for answers on my Danio, she now has a couple of scales on her left side losing colour (no pineconing) Still very active, eating well but I'm concerned whatever it is could possibly be contagious.

Still treating with Melafix, showed some sign of getting better but now I think it's getting worse.
Thanks
It sounds like a tumor or something similar. There’s not much you can do. Melafix might be stressing her out, it’s not a great med and it tends to irritate the gills of the fish.
Edit: if you’re concerned it’s contagious then I would isolate her.

Upvote 0

Delicatesla

It sounds like a tumor or something similar. There’s not much you can do. Melafix might be stressing her out, it’s not a great med and it tends to irritate the gills of the fish.
Edit: if you’re concerned it’s contagious then I would isolate her.

It has completely pushed her scales up over the white lump and now the scales in that area are just as white as the lump.

I'll do some water changes to remove the melafix, irritation seems likely as she doesn't seem to be mending.
I currently don't have a QT and I can't treat with any strong extensive meds :/

Upvote 0

Delicatesla

I ended up catching a picture of the back where the white scales are and the other scales which are losing colour.
Screenshot_20200814_153847_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I hate to say this but.. I’m not sure if she’ll be able to recover without a positive ID and some very strong meds. Maybe DoubleDutch has some idea what this is?

Upvote 0

A201

The problem might be Lymphocystis, a non lethal fish virus. Sort of like a fish cold sore.
There is no known cure for the virus. It might eventually clear up on it's own, or get significantly worse. Lympho. Is mildly contagious, especially if the tankmates have weakened immune systems.
Your Danio looks to be extremely afflicted. Be a good idea to remove him from the main tank.

Upvote 0

Delicatesla

I've just been researching some Lymphocystis articles and a couple of them have said members of the carp family don't seem to get it - But they can get papillomas and warts.
I will try and purchase a QT tank this weekend thanks for the info I will let you know if any changes have happened

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DevonWebb
Replies
Views
Cosmological
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies