Peacock wrasse twitching & flashing

2ManyFish
Hi, can anyone watch this short video and help me understand what is up with this wrasse?

He is always twitching and flashing his face/gills of the rock and sand bed. I’ve had him in the tank for 2 weeks, and he’s done this since day one (although I didn’t notice him doing it beforehand)
None of the other fish are showing symptoms and all fish (including the wrasse) are active and eating

Jesterrace
Tell tale sign of ich unfortunately. If he has it then all the fish have it and the only way to get rid of it is to remove all fish and treat in a quarantine tank via copper, tank transfer method or hyposalinity. You can technically do an ich management tank if you keep the fish well fed and your tank on the lighter side of stocking, but be aware any new addition is high risk.

2ManyFish
Jesterrace said:
Tell tale sign of ich unfortunately. If he has it then all the fish have it and the only way to get rid of it is to remove all fish and treat in a quarantine tank via copper, tank transfer method or hyposalinity. You can technically do an ich management tank if you keep the fish well fed and your tank on the lighter side of stocking, but be aware any new addition is high risk.
that’s what I feared. Although after 2 weeks almost, there’s no other fish showing symptoms and no visible white spot on any of them.

I understand freshwater ich but I’m not too sure of the similarities between freshwater and saltwater ich

Jesterrace
Honestly they are two totally different things, but have the same common name due to similar types of indicators/symptoms. The fact remains that visibility is a poor indicator of ich as it is only visible to the naked eye for part of it's life cycle. Hence you have to watch out for other signs (ie flashing against the rocks). The only actual cures though are the ones I mentioned and you let your display tank go fishless for about 3 months to ensure the partasites die off (some varieties are more persistent than others).

Latest threads

Top Bottom