Peacock Gudgeons

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
While cleaning out the Gudgeon tank tonight I could not resist the temptation to peek under the lid of the cave and seen about a dozen or so wigglers, tomorrow I will remove the females, I have been thinking about removing them anyway so the male can take a break for a while and get some good food in him, he has pretty much been caring for young since I got them, the female stay full of eggs all the time. I have never seen free swimming fry but I also have never removed the parents from the tank. After just doing some more research I'm not sure how I can feed these guys, from what I'm reading they need the smallest of foods, any help would greatly be appreciated.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Interesting!
No real expierance, been contemplating picking up a pair, so have done some research. Recommended foods for free swimming fry are Infusoria, microworms, freshly hatched BBS.
:watching:Following!

Good Luck!

OP
yukondog

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The BBS is not a problem as I normally have a batch going 2-3 times a week for all the apisto fry anyway, I've heard they are to big for them to eat, are microworms available frozen?

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm..
Not sure about frozen, but I purchased a culture from

Easy to culture, I had microworms for months. Plus he has other smaller types of live cultures walter worms, vinegar eels. Great guy, he answered all my questions and then some. I had very good success using his Super Fry food with EBA and Bolivian Rams.

Good Luck!

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bananaworms are even smaller than microworms and i have a culture of them, infusoria is also easy to culture.

OP
yukondog

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I started two cultures of infusoria, they won't be ready for this batch but maybe the next, I can't find any of the worms where i live so I'm going to bounce around a few sights and see if I can find someone thats wants to sell me enough to get my own culture going, I've been watching youtube videos on raising them and it seems pretty easy.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yukondog said:
I started two cultures of infusoria, they won't be ready for this batch but maybe the next, I can't find any of the worms where i live so I'm going to bounce around a few sights and see if I can find someone thats wants to sell me enough to get my own culture going, I've been watching youtube videos on raising them and it seems pretty easy.
Yea its very easy, i got a starter culture off wbay for like 3 pounds and now have infinite banana worms, i have even sent starter cultures to other people

OP
yukondog

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you have extra and would like to make a few bucks I would be interested in some.

OP
yukondog

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did not get the male out in time, fry gone.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom