Peacock Gudgeons

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by jehorton, Jun 20, 2018.

1. jehorton

jehorton Valued Member Member

I recently added 4 peacock gudgeons to my community tank that houses 7 tiger barbs, 4 bolivian rams, 6 GBRs , and 3 plecos. I started having trouble getting any of the fish to eat due to the tiger barbs out competing all for the food and none would even make it to the bottom. I tried to feed a variety such as cichlid pellets and flake food to finally get the rams to feed. I still have trouble getting the peacock gudgeons to eat. it almost seems they are not interested when its feeding time, just laying on the bottom or swimming slowly in the sides of the tank. I have read of people feeding them with a baster but I have no clue how that would work.

Any ideas of how I can get these 4 to eat? They have only been in for a week now and I know most times it will take a while for their appetite to return as well as their comfort in a new community tank.

2. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Watching with interest, as peacock gudgeons are on my "wish list."

Welcome aboard!

3. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, I also have 4 peacock gudgeon in my tank (2 pairs) with groups of torpedo & rosy barbs so feeding time is a frenzy, I've watched the gudgeon & sometimes they'll swim around & feed & other times they'll stay out of the way & then pick small bits off plants & drift wood that the others have missed, I guess they'll feed when they're hungry, I've had mine since January & they're all doing well & growing & have coloured up beautifully.

4. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

I've had my 3 gudgeons over a year now. It didn't take me too long to get them eating flakes and pellets...a few days or so. But they don't compete with too many other fish for food. Maybe try putting some food in a turkey baster or something and "blowing" it out near the gudgeons so they can get to it first.

5. OP
    OP
    jehorton

jehorton Valued Member Member

How would I get flakes in the Baster? Though I do believe that would work.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

1. Put flakes in glass of water.
    2. Suck water and flakes into baster.
    3. Put baster tip near target fish and squeeze out water and flakes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice