Peacock Gudgeons

amariel9

Active Member
Member
Messages
51
Reaction score
7
I'm getting six peacock gudgeons this week, and I've done as much research as I can, but I haven't found too much info online. I'll have them in a 20 gallon long tank, with some panda cories and tetras. Do you have any advice or info about these fish that you could pass along? Any information you have would helpful. Thanks in advance.
 

JLeeM

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Tennessee
Experience
2 years
amariel9 said:
I'm getting six peacock gudgeons this week, and I've done as much research as I can, but I haven't found too much info online. I'll have them in a 20 gallon long tank, with some panda cories and tetras. Do you have any advice or info about these fish that you could pass along? Any information you have would helpful. Thanks in advance.
How many panda corys do you have? In order to have an adequate size school of them, 6 peacock gudgeons will more than likely be too much. Both these fish live on the bottom level of the tank, giving you a very heavy bottom stocking. Maybe try a single gudgeon, or a male/female pair so they should nice coloration?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
A

amariel9

Active Member
Member
Messages
51
Reaction score
7
JLeeM said:
How many panda corys do you have? In order to have an adequate size school of them, 6 peacock gudgeons will more than likely be too much. Both these fish live on the bottom level of the tank, giving you a very heavy bottom stocking. Maybe try a single gudgeon, or a male/female pair so they should nice coloration?
I have 11 panda corys, and I am worried that the tank is too heavily stocked. I made the mistake of purchasing the fish before checking on here, and now I'm stuck with a tank that's too small and too many fish.I don't know what to do with them because I don't know anybody I can re-home them to.
 

JLeeM

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Tennessee
Experience
2 years
amariel9 said:
I have 11 panda corys, and I am worried that the tank is too heavily stocked. I made the mistake of purchasing the fish before checking on here, and now I'm stuck with a tank that's too small and too many fish.I don't know what to do with them because I don't know anybody I can re-home them to.
Do you have any other tanks by chance? Another thing I just saw, the gudgeons require a slightly higher temp than the pandas. You could probably get away with keeping them around 74 degrees Fahrenheit though.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
A

amariel9

Active Member
Member
Messages
51
Reaction score
7
I unfortunately don't have another tank, but I think I'm going to have to buy another tank and split the fish between two different tanks, or just buy a larger tank. The only problem is that's going to take weeks to cycle and I won't have anywhere to put the fish in the mean time.
 

JLeeM

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Tennessee
Experience
2 years
amariel9 said:
I unfortunately don't have another tank, but I think I'm going to have to buy another tank and split the fish between two different tanks, or just buy a larger tank. The only problem is that's going to take weeks to cycle and I won't have anywhere to put the fish in the mean time.
What kind of filter are you running on your current tank, and what media do you have in it (if it holds media)?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
A

amariel9

Active Member
Member
Messages
51
Reaction score
7
JLeeM said:
What kind of filter are you running on your current tank, and what media do you have in it (if it holds media)?
I have 2 sponge filters, one is rated for a 20 gallon tank, and the other is supposed to be for a 10 gallon. I ordered the peacock gudgeons from aquatic arts, and I haven't received an email saying they've shipped yet, so I'm wondering if I can call/email them and cancel or change my order to a smaller amount of gudgeons.
 

JLeeM

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Tennessee
Experience
2 years
amariel9 said:
I have 2 sponge filters, one is rated for a 20 gallon tank, and the other is supposed to be for a 10 gallon. I ordered the peacock gudgeons from aquatic arts, and I haven't received an email saying they've shipped yet, so I'm wondering if I can call/email them and cancel or change my order to a smaller amount of gudgeons.
I would definitely see about changing the order. If you can't, and you can get another tank, I'd go ahead and get the equipment to run an identical filtration setup (if it's working for your current tank). Then, once you have the tank and everything, move the established sponge rated for a 10 gallon to the new tank with the new 20 sponge. Then put your new 10 sponge in your current tank to replace your stolen filtration. This will give your new cycle a boost.

Or you could add another sponge to your current tank to be seeded with bacteria. That takes a while though, and you may have an overpopulated tank for way too long.

Either way, keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Hope something here helps you out.
 

MONSTER GOBY

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
209
I kept my last pair in a unheated tank, they did very well and spawned regularly.
 

Seasoldier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
799
Location
North Wales UK
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
How many panda corys do you have? In order to have an adequate size school of them, 6 peacock gudgeons will more than likely be too much. Both these fish live on the bottom level of the tank, giving you a very heavy bottom stocking. Maybe try a single gudgeon, or a male/female pair so they should nice coloration?
I have 5 peacock gudgeon in my tank & from observation they do not dwell exclusively on the bottom level, mine seem to spend most of the time mid level but will drop down to feed & then return to mid level again to swim around. I've just checked your stocking onfor the corys & peacocks with 30 gallon rated filtration in a 20 gallon tank & it comes out OK with 119% filtration & only 68% stocked so I would say that as long as your maintenance was good with water changes etc. you'd be OK with the corys & peacocks.

Recommended temperature range: 22 - 27 C.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 119%.
Question11.png

Recommended water change schedule: 29% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 68%.
 

Florian Pellet

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
160
Location
Paris, France
Experience
Just started
MONSTER GOBY said:
I kept my last pair in a unheated tank, they did very well and spawned regularly.
The fact that you have managed to keep them in these conditions is annecdotal and not a good reason to advise others to do the same if it is not the recommended temp.

Seasoldier said:
I have 5 peacock gudgeon in my tank & from observation they do not dwell exclusively on the bottom level, mine seem to spend most of the time mid level but will drop down to feed & then return to mid level again to swim around. I've just checked your stocking onfor the corys & peacocks with 30 gallon rated filtration in a 20 gallon tank & it comes out OK with 119% filtration & only 68% stocked so I would say that as long as your maintenance was good with water changes etc. you'd be OK with the corys & peacocks.

Recommended temperature range: 22 - 27 C.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 119%.
Question11.png

Recommended water change schedule: 29% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 68%.
You should not rely on aqadvisor for your stocking. It's a good tool to get an approximate idea, but you should wait for some of the experts of this forum to chime in.
 

Seasoldier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
799
Location
North Wales UK
Experience
More than 10 years
Florian Pellet said:
The fact that you have managed to keep them in these conditions is annecdotal and not a good reason to advise others to do the same if it is not the recommended temp.
When MONSTER GOBY says he kept them in an unheated tank we shouldn't jump to conclusions, the actual water temp would depend very much on the ambient air temp in the room in which the tank was situated.

Florian Pellet said:
You should not rely on aqadvisor for your stocking. It's a good tool to get an approximate idea, but you should wait for some of the experts of this forum to chime in.
While I agree with you thatis not 100% accurate, in this case with 119% filtration & 68% stocking it leaves a safe margin of error for @amariel19 to work with & just for the record I've been in the hobby for over 20 years so I'm hardly a novice.
 

Florian Pellet

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
160
Location
Paris, France
Experience
Just started
Seasoldier said:
While I agree with you thatis not 100% accurate, in this case with 119% filtration & 68% stocking it leaves a safe margin of error for @amariel19 to work with & just for the record I've been in the hobby for over 20 years so I'm hardly a novice.
Remains the problem of having both species be bottom dwellers. Even if filtration and volume are sufficient, there is still the matter of simple space to coexist.
 

Seasoldier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
799
Location
North Wales UK
Experience
More than 10 years
Florian Pellet said:
Remains the problem of having both species be bottom dwellers. Even if filtration and volume are sufficient, there is still the matter of simple space to coexist.
I don't want to get into an argument with you & hijack the OP's thread but I can assure you that Peacock Gudgeon are not exclusively bottom dwellers, as I sit here typing this I am watching my five swimming quite happily around the mid level of my 2 foot high tank which is, as I mentioned above, their preferred space apart from dipping down to feed when food settles on the substrate.
 

Florian Pellet

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
160
Location
Paris, France
Experience
Just started
Seasoldier said:
I don't want to get into an argument with you & hijack the OP's thread but I can assure you that Peacock Gudgeon are not exclusively bottom dwellers, as I sit here typing this I am watching my five swimming quite happily around the mid level of my 2 foot high tank which is, as I mentioned above, their preferred space apart from dipping down to feed when food settles on the substrate.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound aggressive, I was just looking to cover all the bases. I just have over 2 years of fishkeeping so OP should listen to you more than to me.
 

Seasoldier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
799
Location
North Wales UK
Experience
More than 10 years
Florian Pellet it's OK you're not coming across as aggressive at all & as for the OP listening to me more than you, absolutely not, all advice & observations are equal & valid, it's up to the person seeking the advice to take it or not, they should evaluate what's been said & make up their own mind, we are all constantly learning from one another & if anybody says they know it all then they're definitely not the one to listen to
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
220
Guests online
3,513
Total visitors
3,733

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom