Peacock Gudgeons

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by amariel9, Apr 24, 2018.

1. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I'm getting six peacock gudgeons this week, and I've done as much research as I can, but I haven't found too much info online. I'll have them in a 20 gallon long tank, with some panda cories and tetras. Do you have any advice or info about these fish that you could pass along? Any information you have would helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

How many panda corys do you have? In order to have an adequate size school of them, 6 peacock gudgeons will more than likely be too much. Both these fish live on the bottom level of the tank, giving you a very heavy bottom stocking. Maybe try a single gudgeon, or a male/female pair so they should nice coloration?

3. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I have 11 panda corys, and I am worried that the tank is too heavily stocked. I made the mistake of purchasing the fish before checking on here, and now I'm stuck with a tank that's too small and too many fish.I don't know what to do with them because I don't know anybody I can re-home them to.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Do you have any other tanks by chance? Another thing I just saw, the gudgeons require a slightly higher temp than the pandas. You could probably get away with keeping them around 74 degrees Fahrenheit though.

5. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I unfortunately don't have another tank, but I think I'm going to have to buy another tank and split the fish between two different tanks, or just buy a larger tank. The only problem is that's going to take weeks to cycle and I won't have anywhere to put the fish in the mean time.

6. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

What kind of filter are you running on your current tank, and what media do you have in it (if it holds media)?

7. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I have 2 sponge filters, one is rated for a 20 gallon tank, and the other is supposed to be for a 10 gallon. I ordered the peacock gudgeons from aquatic arts, and I haven't received an email saying they've shipped yet, so I'm wondering if I can call/email them and cancel or change my order to a smaller amount of gudgeons.

8. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I would definitely see about changing the order. If you can't, and you can get another tank, I'd go ahead and get the equipment to run an identical filtration setup (if it's working for your current tank). Then, once you have the tank and everything, move the established sponge rated for a 10 gallon to the new tank with the new 20 sponge. Then put your new 10 sponge in your current tank to replace your stolen filtration. This will give your new cycle a boost.

Or you could add another sponge to your current tank to be seeded with bacteria. That takes a while though, and you may have an overpopulated tank for way too long.

Either way, keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Hope something here helps you out.

9. Davidz123New MemberMember

So interesting to know these things

10. MONSTER GOBYNew MemberMember

I kept my last pair in a unheated tank, they did very well and spawned regularly.

11. SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

I have 5 peacock gudgeon in my tank & from observation they do not dwell exclusively on the bottom level, mine seem to spend most of the time mid level but will drop down to feed & then return to mid level again to swim around. I've just checked your stocking on AqAdvisor for the corys & peacocks with 30 gallon rated filtration in a 20 gallon tank & it comes out OK with 119% filtration & only 68% stocked so I would say that as long as your maintenance was good with water changes etc. you'd be OK with the corys & peacocks.

Recommended temperature range: 22 - 27 C.
    Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
    Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 119%. Question11.png
    Recommended water change schedule: 29% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 68%.

12. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

The fact that you have managed to keep them in these conditions is annecdotal and not a good reason to advise others to do the same if it is not the recommended temp.

You should not rely on aqadvisor for your stocking. It's a good tool to get an approximate idea, but you should wait for some of the experts of this forum to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  13. SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

When @MONSTER GOBY says he kept them in an unheated tank we shouldn't jump to conclusions, the actual water temp would depend very much on the ambient air temp in the room in which the tank was situated.

While I agree with you that AqAdvisor is not 100% accurate, in this case with 119% filtration & 68% stocking it leaves a safe margin of error for @amariel19 to work with & just for the record I've been in the hobby for over 20 years so I'm hardly a novice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  14. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Remains the problem of having both species be bottom dwellers. Even if filtration and volume are sufficient, there is still the matter of simple space to coexist.

15. SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

I don't want to get into an argument with you & hijack the OP's thread but I can assure you that Peacock Gudgeon are not exclusively bottom dwellers, as I sit here typing this I am watching my five swimming quite happily around the mid level of my 2 foot high tank which is, as I mentioned above, their preferred space apart from dipping down to feed when food settles on the substrate.

16. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Sorry I didn't mean to sound aggressive, I was just looking to cover all the bases. I just have over 2 years of fishkeeping so OP should listen to you more than to me.

17. SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

@Florian Pellet it's OK you're not coming across as aggressive at all & as for the OP listening to me more than you, absolutely not, all advice & observations are equal & valid, it's up to the person seeking the advice to take it or not, they should evaluate what's been said & make up their own mind, we are all constantly learning from one another & if anybody says they know it all then they're definitely not the one to listen to :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice