Peacock Gudgeons-What are they like?

LadfromLondon

What sort of colour do the males take on? I have seen mixed pictures.

Are they known jumpers?

Are they bottom dwellers?

How many in a 10G as a centrepiece?

What is their personality like?

jkkgron2

1. Not sure about jumping- I would keep a lid in their tank.
2. Yes, I have a pair in a 7g and they rarely go to the top.
3. I would do a trio, 2 females and a male
4. Shy at first but mine seem to be more secure now that theyre
Pic of my male

1597874322681.jpeg

Upvote 0

sealion

Peacock gudgeons are awesome. One of my favorites. They're shy but become pretty gregarious with the right conditions.

Both males and females are blue and red. The females have the yellow bellies and get a little bigger.

They're bottom dwellers and they love caves for hiding. Give them lots—the more places to hide, the safer they'll feel, and the less they'll actually hide.

I've never seen one jump and wouldn't expect them too, but I've been surprised by what can jump before. For a 10G, maybe 4?

They're peaceful community fish and love the company of other fish. With other peaceful fish around, they're comfortable enough that they'll cruise the middle and top of the tank at times as well. They love rainbows as a tank mate. If you have rainbows with them, they'll use the other levels of the tank a lot more and sort of try to school with the rainbows. They also coexist well with gouramis and rams.

Just don't keep them with anything agressive, or you'll never see them. I had a bad experience keeping them with killies.

They're sensitive to water conditions and fall off without regular water changes.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

1. Not sure about jumping- I would keep a lid in their tank.
2. Yes, I have a pair in a 7g and they rarely go to the top.
3. I would do a trio, 2 females and a male
4. Shy at first but mine seem to be more secure now that theyre
Pic of my male

1597874322681.jpeg
Oh man he looks dope! Did you notice anything in particular which made them come out more? Do they stir your substrate up at all?

I’d love more pics and sorry for all the questions-Thank you!

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

Peacock gudgeons are awesome. One of my favorites. They're shy but become pretty gregarious with the right conditions.

Both males and females are blue and red. The females have the yellow bellies and get a little bigger.

They're bottom dwellers and they love caves for hiding. Give them lots—the more places to hide, the safer they'll feel, and the less they'll actually hide.

I've never seen one jump and wouldn't expect them too, but I've been surprised by what can jump before. For a 10G, maybe 4?

They're peaceful community fish and love the company of other fish. With other peaceful fish around, they're comfortable enough that they'll cruise the middle and top of the tank at times as well. They love rainbows as a tank mate. If you have rainbows with them, they'll use the other levels of the tank a lot more and sort of try to school with the rainbows. They also coexist well with gouramis and rams.

Just don't keep them with anything agressive, or you'll never see them. I had a bad experience keeping them with killies.

They're sensitive to water conditions and fall off without regular water changes.
Oh really 4?! I thought I’d be overcrowding with 3 I was thinking and/or a Honey Gourami/Peacock with my Green Neon Tetras, do you think I could add one Goby and 1 Gourami too? Cheers

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I agree with most of that.. not sure about the last 3 paragraphs.
I wouldn’t keep them with any fast moving fish like rainbows. Mine get stressed by anything fast moving.
My guys are actually pretty tough so something slightly aggressive could be ok.

Mine are very hardy. Not sure if it depends on the source, I got mine from petco. They’ve survived some ammonia spikes from rotting plants and one of mine managed to not catch Columnaris from the guppy’s that were previously in the tank, a few days before she was added (with a few large waterchanges to up her chances though).
Oh man he looks dope! Did you notice anything in particular which made them come out more? Do they stir your substrate up at all?

I’d love more pics and sorry for all the questions-Thank you!
My female was hiding a lot before I added in the male. I think it’s just security in numbers. Mine don’t seem to dig.
I’ll try to get more pics soon
Oh really 4?! I thought I’d be overcrowding with 3 I was thinking and/or a Honey Gourami/Peacock with my Green Neon Tetras, do you think I could add one Goby and 1 Gourami too? Cheers
I wouldn’t add both gouramis and the gudgeon with the tetras. 2-3 gudgeons would work With them depending on the tank size

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

I wouldn’t keep them with any fast moving fish like rainbows. Mine get stressed by anything fast moving.
My guys are actually pretty tough so something slightly aggressive could be ok.

Mine are very hardy. Not sure if it depends on the source, I got mine from petco. They’ve survived some ammonia spikes from rotting plants and one of mine managed to not catch Columnaris from the guppy’s that were previously in the tank, a few days before she was added (with a few large waterchanges to up her chances though).

My female was hiding a lot before I added in the male. I think it’s just security in numbers. Mine don’t seem to dig.
I’ll try to get more pics soon

I wouldn’t add both gouramis and the gudgeon with the tetras. 2-3 gudgeons would work With them depending on the tank size
Thanks! I definitely dig PGs and I think the conditions I have would be keep them happy! How many PGs would you say in 10G with 12 Green Neons? In terms of filtration/maintenance, the tank runs 2 sponge filters (360L P/H) and I use RO remineralised water.

I currently have 9 Tetras but I was thinking of adding a few more. This doesn’t have to happen though

Thank you in advance for pics!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Thanks! I definitely dig PGs and I think the conditions I have would be keep them happy! How many PGs would you say in 10G with 12 Green Neons? In terms of filtration/maintenance, the tank runs 2 sponge filters (360L P/H) and I use RO remineralised water.

I currently have 9 Tetras but I was thinking of adding a few more. This doesn’t have to happen though

Thank you in advance for pics!
In a tank with 9 tetras I would only do 1 or 2. I would do 40% waterchanges 2 times a week to deal with the big bioload but if it’s heavily planted it should work.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

In a tank with 9 tetras I would only do 1 or 2. I would do 40% waterchanges 2 times a week to deal with the big bioload but if it’s heavily planted it should work.
I should have asked before! What is their bioload like? I think I‘ll do 2, do I need to have a M/F or would 2 males work? Or a pair?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I should have asked before! What is their bioload like? I think I‘ll do 2, do I need to have a M/F or would 2 males work? Or a pair?
Not much, but even with just the tetras I would be doing 2x a week, just to make sure that the water is the best quality possible. 2 males can be very territorial in small areas. Females are just as colorful, maybe a bit smaller but there’s not much difference. I would do a M/F pair

Upvote 0

GlennO

I wouldn’t keep them with any fast moving fish like rainbows.

I have a trio in a 3ft tank with about half a dozen Rainbowfish. They don't seem bothered by the activity.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I have a trio in a 3ft tank with about half a dozen Rainbowfish. They don't seem bothered by the activity.
If it’s 3ft then that makes sense. I was more referring to a smaller tank since the OP is using a 10g.

Upvote 0

GlennO

If it’s 3ft then that makes sense. I was more referring to a smaller tank since the OP is using a 10g.

For sure. Even in the 3ft they were a bit freaked initially. But the Rainbows take no notice of them and they soon realised that and mixed with them freely. They are slower to feed which also might be an issue if you had a lot of Rainbows.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

For sure. Even in the 3ft they were a bit freaked initially. But the Rainbows take no notice of them and they soon realised that and mixed with them freely. They are slower to feed which also might be an issue if you had a lot of Rainbows.
I had assumed that there were more rainbows, only half a dozen shouldn’t be all that stressful. I’m glad to hear it’s going well, once my 55’s inhabitants pass I might do some experimenting with rainbows and gudgeons

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Pic of my male

1597874322681.jpeg
jkkgron2 are you sure that’s a male? My first guess was female, though it could totally just be the angle/lighting of the picture (couldn’t tell for sure if those were black strips on both fins). Can’t remember if I’ve seen other pics of him.

Giving my two cents on the original questions:

Here are a few pics of my male and female. Depending on the lighting, the blue on the male can be hard to see. But either way, they’re beautiful.
Male with brighter light:

843BD068-3C7F-45B7-AA2D-01F599A14483.jpeg
Same male with less light (this is my normal lighting):

2A750D75-0678-477C-BB88-7CC713B24202.jpeg
Female:

DFAB3984-2021-449A-87E8-639C542098F6.jpeg

Are they known jumpers?
They can be if startled, so I’d keep a lid to be safe. My male jumped out twice when he got startled early on - thankfully we were nearby and rescued him. Hasn’t jumped since, nor has my female, just know it’s possible.

Yep, but they’ll sometimes go upwards especially in search of food.

Depending on your filtration and plants, I still think you could do 2 with your 9-12 tetras. From what I remember, green neons are pretty tiny - smaller than regular neons, right? If your tank is over filtered with low nitrates, I think you could definitely get away with 1M:1F or 2F if the only other tank mates are neons.

Shy at first, though mine are now outgoing in their tank and typically come to the front when they see me (unless the male is nest guarding, which is frequently these days). Of course, that could just be because they love food. They’re generally peaceful with other species, unless they have similar colors/patterns to a gudgeon (such as some killies; won’t be an issue in your case). They should get along perfectly with your neons. Just make sure the gudgeons get enough food - if your tetras are voracious eaters, you may need to spot feed the gudgeons.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

jkkgron2 are you sure that’s a male? My first guess was female, though it could totally just be the angle/lighting of the picture (couldn’t tell for sure if those were black strips on both fins). Can’t remember if I’ve seen other pics of him.

Here are a few pics of my male and female. Depending on the lighting, the blue on the male can be hard to see. But either way, they’re beautiful.

Female:

Are they known jumpers?
They can be if startled, so I’d keep a lid to be safe. My male jumped out twice when he got startled early on - thankfully we were nearby and rescued him. Hasn’t jumped since, nor has my female, just know it’s possible.

Yep, but they’ll sometimes go upwards especially in search of food.

Depending on your filtration and plants, I still think you could do 2 with your 9-12 tetras. From what I remember, green neons are pretty tiny - smaller than regular neons, right? If your tank is over filtered with low nitrates, I think you could definitely get away with 1M:1F or 2F if the only other tank mates are neons.

Shy at first, though mine are now outgoing in their tank and typically come to the front when they see me (unless the male is nest guarding, which is frequently these days). Of course, that could just be because they love food. They’re generally peaceful with other species, unless they have similar colors/patterns to a gudgeon (such as some killers; won’t be an issue in your case). They should get along perfectly with your neons. Just make sure the gudgeons get enough food - if your tetras are voracious eaters, you may need to spot feed the gudgeons.
Thank you! I can’t tell which are more colourful, the Males or the females? They both look so good!

Yes Green Neons are smaller than regular Neons. Mine came in tiny (1-1.5cm I think if I remember correctly) and have grown a little since, but they do remain pretty small.

I think it’s pretty overfiltered, I run 360L P/H of filtration on my 45L tank, and there’ll be frogbit amongst other plants to absorb nitrates etc. I also use remineralised RO so nitrates come out 0 andI change water biweekly 25%.

The place I am thinking of buying from say they teach their Gudgeons to take dry foods. Should I expect this? If so, will they still take dry food after I do feed them frozen? I typically feed dry & frozen food each week so I am not too worried if they don’t take to dry foods.

Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it my friend

Upvote 0

Gudgie

They’ll likely always prefer frozen, but they should take dry foods if they’ve been raised to do so. I feed both to mine - varies by day.

My female eats almost anything, but my male is picky with dry (they’re from different shops though). The only dry food I’ve tried that he readily eats is premium growth meal/pellets from Kensfish; all others (NLS, Omega One, etc.) he leaves on the bottom for awhile until he’s 100% convinced I’m not feeding anything else, then he’ll finally eat some begrudgingly. I swear it’s like he gives me a dirty look lol. But he’s made progress - he would barely touch them when I first got him. I’m guessing he wasn’t raised with dry foods.

For the fry I’m raising I added dry to their diet early on (Hikari first bites, golden pearls, growth meal, etc), so they’d readily accept most dry foods in addition to frozen. Didn’t want to have the struggle I’ve had with my male!

And I’m always glad to help - especially for one of my favorite fishes!

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

Sounds good! I am excited to get some in when I have the time to QT them If possible, can I see your scape for them? I want to ensure the environment I’m setting up for them will keep them happy

In terms of QT, did you QT them? If so, do you know if they can handle aquarium salt? I’m in the UK and we don’t have access to API General Cure/Ich-x etc
They’ll likely always prefer frozen, but they should take dry foods if they’ve been raised to do so. I feed both to mine - varies by day.

My female eats almost anything, but my male is picky with dry (they’re from different shops though). The only dry food I’ve tried that he readily eats is premium growth meal/pellets from Kensfish; all others (NLS, Omega One, etc.) he leaves on the bottom for awhile until he’s 100% convinced I’m not feeding anything else, then he’ll finally eat some begrudgingly. I swear it’s like he gives me a dirty look lol. But he’s made progress - he would barely touch them when I first got him. I’m guessing he wasn’t raised with dry foods.

For the fry I’m raising I added dry to their diet early on (Hikari first bites, golden pearls, growth meal, etc), so they’d readily accept most dry foods in addition to frozen. Didn’t want to have the struggle I’ve had with my male!

And I’m always glad to help - especially for one of my favorite fishes!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Female:

The body shape is very different than the female. It does have a black line on its bottom fin but not the top. I originally though female too but once they were together it was pretty clear which was which. The male seems to look like yours, just with some black and less of a bump on its head? I’m not sure why mine have more black Than yours - my female has A very very very Strong black outline on all her fins. The male has A line on his bottom fin but not his top.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Unfortunately mine refuse to eat dry food.

Upvote 0

Gudgie

The body shape is very different than the female. It does have a black line on its bottom fin but not the top. I originally though female too but once they were together it was pretty clear which was which. The male seems to look like yours, just with some black and less of a bump on its head? I’m not sure why mine have more black Than yours - my female has A very very very Strong black outline on all her fins. The male has A line on his bottom fin but not his top.
Ah, definitely sounds male then. I figured it was probably just the angle of the pic - just wanted to make sure. My male has been slowly developing his bump since I got him around a year ago, with most of the change in the last 6 months or so. It wasn't pronounced at all when I first got him, though his body shape looked different from the females. Guessing yours will also develop a bump as he ages.

Sounds good! I am excited to get some in when I have the time to QT them If possible, can I see your scape for them? I want to ensure the environment I’m setting up for them will keep them happy

In terms of QT, did you QT them? If so, do you know if they can handle aquarium salt? I’m in the UK and we don’t have access to API General Cure/Ich-x etc
Since you have other fish in your tank, I'd QT the gudgeons if you can. Better safe than sorry! I didn't QT my male since he was the first into the tank, but I did QT the female once I got her. Honestly not sure about aquarium salt - haven't needed it for them and never looked it up.

Here's a pic of my setup from earlier this year. They're currently in a 5 gal crescent, though I may or may not move them into a larger setup once I upgrade to my 20 gal fry tank (currently a 10 gal; have the tank but the stand build is delayed until we sort out redoing our basement flooring). My pair have been just fine in this tank and weren't any more active when I had them in the 10 gal for a month during the spring, so we'll see. I've since added two pieces of PVC (that they ignore in favor of the driftwood) - may pull those soon. I also keep replanting the anubias that get knocked loose , and added some other small plants to the foreground (more for my benefit - they don't seem to care). I really need to add a cleanup crew for the driftwood's algae...might be time for a new nerite, but I don't miss snail poop in the tank.
Edit: I have fluval stratum as substrate, but that's only because I'd initially set this up for shrimp. Didn't bother to change the substrate for the gudgeons, but they shouldn't be too fussy about other substrates.

IMG_1994.jpg

Unfortunately mine refuse to eat dry food.
Certainly a possibility with gudgeons - I had a couple years ago that were the same. But at least it didn't need to be live! Seems to depend on how they were raised, though I suppose there's always an exception to the rule. *Hopefully* LadfromLondon's LFS is being honest with regards to dry foods - if so, they should keep up the habit.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

Ah, definitely sounds male then. I figured it was probably just the angle of the pic - just wanted to make sure. My male has been slowly developing his bump since I got him around a year ago, with most of the change in the last 6 months or so. It wasn't pronounced at all when I first got him, though his body shape looked different from the females. Guessing yours will also develop a bump as he ages.

Since you have other fish in your tank, I'd QT the gudgeons if you can. Better safe than sorry! I didn't QT my male since he was the first into the tank, but I did QT the female once I got her. Honestly not sure about aquarium salt - haven't needed it for them and never looked it up.

Here's a pic of my setup from earlier this year. They're currently in a 5 gal crescent, though I may or may not move them into a larger setup once I upgrade to my 20 gal fry tank (currently a 10 gal; have the tank but the stand build is delayed until we sort out redoing our basement flooring). My pair have been just fine in this tank and weren't any more active when I had them in the 10 gal for a month during the spring, so we'll see. I've since added two pieces of PVC (that they ignore in favor of the driftwood) - may pull those soon. I also keep replanting the anubias that get knocked loose , and added some other small plants to the foreground (more for my benefit - they don't seem to care). I really need to add a cleanup crew for the driftwood's algae...might be time for a new nerite, but I don't miss snail poop in the tank.
Edit: I have fluval stratum as substrate, but that's only because I'd initially set this up for shrimp. Didn't bother to change the substrate for the gudgeons, but they shouldn't be too fussy about other substrates.

IMG_1994.jpg

Certainly a possibility with gudgeons - I had a couple years ago that were the same. But at least it didn't need to be live! Seems to depend on how they were raised, though I suppose there's always an exception to the rule. *Hopefully* LadfromLondon's LFS is being honest with regards to dry foods - if so, they should keep up the habit.
Looking good! Thanks for all your help, I’m definitely going to qt and get 1/2 in in the coming weeks or months.

Me too! I got way too frustrated with snail poop so I took my nerites out of their tanks and will set something nano up for them and my other pest snails.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views
tiktaalik