Peacock Gudgeons nipping Guppies

Moley

Hi all,

I recently added 7 peacock gudgeons to a heavily planted (read: jungle) tank, it's roughly 130L/29 gal, and they're taking chunks out of my guppies!

I've pulled 5 of the gudgeons for now (the other two are too hard to catch!), hard to tell if there's been any further damage since then.

I checked out this thread: A Question For Other Peacock Gudgeon Owners... | Freshwater Gobies 410662, and a few things jumped out at me - they do have variances in the eyes (apparently that's not usual), and I AM from Australia so there's the possibility these were wild caught.

Any suggestions for things I could try to bring the aggression down? Or, can I simply not keep these particular guys with long-finned fish?

The 5 gudgeons are currently in a 20L I normally use as hospital/quarantine, I'm aware that's considered very small for them, but they actually seem quite happy (chucked a bunch of 15mm pvc caves for them, a few ornaments, and some floating plants). No inter-species aggression as far as I've seen. Assuming a rigorous water change schedule, will they be fine in there for a while? I've got some 2ft and 3ft tanks to clean/set up eventually.

Extra info: other species in tank are 6x pygmy Cory (big!/mature), and a boat load of cherry shrimp, plus the usual snails from buying plants. Appx 12 male guppies and 6 male endlers, off the top of my head. There's enough bushy cover for the shrimp to breed like mad, but also some less dense plants for fish to hide in as well. I've got a few terracotta pots in there too for sight lines, but they're totally buried in the jungle.

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore hope our members can help you today

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tilderjones
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
Dori.anne