Peacock gudgeons are about to have fry for the first time!

Gudgie

Well, I added a female peacock gudgeon in with my male...and approximately three days later he started fanning/guarding a nest of eggs under the driftwood. They certainly didn't waste any time! That was this past Monday, so I think they should be free swimming any day now. I haven't been able to get a picture of the nest because of where it's located, but I did briefly shine a light to look at the eggs. A couple looked whiteish, but most don't - so perhaps they're viable.

For this first round, I think I'm going to let the fry take their chances in the tank with the parents - at least for the first couple weeks. However, there is one celestial pearl danio in the tank. My hunch is that he'll be a ruthless fry hunter, so I'm deciding whether to move him out. Thoughts?

For anyone that has bred peacock gudgeons - have you had luck with the fry taking prepared foods? Either HikarI first bites, instant baby brine shrimp, or decap eggs? I really don't want to resort to live if I don't have to, at least not for this first batch. I hatched brine shrimp years ago when I had a couple scarlet badis that would ONLY eat live, and it was definitely a pain.

Joshaeus

I have not kept peacock gudgeons, but very few larval fish will take dead foods straight from birth. I would get infusoria and baby brine shrimp ready as soon as possible, and once the fry are taking baby brine shrimp feed a small amount of fry powder with the BBS to encourage the fry to view it as food. I would not trust the danio not to eat the fry.

PS...you can refrigerate baby brine shrimp in a container of clean saltwater (not used hatching water...new hatching water is fine) in the fridge for 2-3 days. While I would not recommend doing so that long for brine shrimp intended for growing fry, this could reduce how often you hatch BBS to once a day.

Gudgie

I have not kept peacock gudgeons, but very few larval fish will take dead foods straight from birth. I would get infusoria and baby brine shrimp ready as soon as possible, and once the fry are taking baby brine shrimp feed a small amount of fry powder with the BBS to encourage the fry to view it as food. I would not trust the danio not to eat the fry.

PS...you can refrigerate baby brine shrimp in a container of clean saltwater (not used hatching water...new hatching water is fine) in the fridge for 2-3 days. While I would not recommend doing so that long for brine shrimp intended for growing fry, this could reduce how often you hatch BBS to once a day.
Just to be safe then, I'll pick up some new brine shrimp eggs when I head to the pet store tomorrow. I did find my old vial in with some other fish food, but given it's 6+ yrs old I'm guessing they're unlikely to hatch. I also didn't remember that the baby brine shrimp could be kept for a couple days, so that does make life a lot easier!

We'll see if I can get the danio out. I don't want to move the driftwood around since that's what the eggs are attached to, which unfortunately means it's hard to maneuver a net around. If not this time, I'll certainly remove him before the next batch.

Gudgie

No pics of the male yet, but here’s one of the female.
You must be registered to see images

I think there are fewer eggs today and the male appears to have a full belly. I’m guessing he ate some eggs, as there’s no sign of any free-swimming fry yet. Unless he’s eating them as they swim free...

Just in case, I did set up a brine shrimp hatchery today

Joshaeus

I am pretty sure peacock gudgeons cease caring for the eggs/fry after they become free swimming and begin to view them as food.

Gudgie

Well I *tried* to get a pic of the papa guarding his eggs, but hard to do given the angle of his location. Especially since this is a crescent tank. But here are my best shots. It’s hard to tell in the pics, but in person it looks like there are eye spots and I don't think they're fungused over - at least as far as I can tell. These are my first fish to lay eggs though, so I'm certainly no expert! Hopefully these will still hatch in a day or two...and the danio won't instantly demolish them.

Edit: through some miracle, I just managed to net out the danio! He'll be temporarily housed in my QT tank with my snails since my main display tank is undergoing abx treatment right now.

Gudgie

I *finally* have fry! I'm surprised it took so long since most internet sources suggested 5-8 days for hatching. This is the first day they're free swimming, approximately 12 days after the eggs were laid. I have no idea how many I have. I counted at least 10, but they're so tiny and hard to see that I suspect I have more than that.

Tried feeding live baby brine shrimp, but I think they're a bit too big for the frys' tiny mouths. Hopefully HikarI first bites will be small enough for the first day or so!

And the parents are already getting down to business in their nesting site again!

Joshaeus

I *finally* have fry! I'm surprised it took so long since most internet sources suggested 5-8 days for hatching. This is the first day they're free swimming, approximately 12 days after the eggs were laid. I have no idea how many I have. I counted at least 10, but they're so tiny and hard to see that I suspect I have more than that.

Tried feeding live baby brine shrimp, but I think they're a bit too big for the frys' tiny mouths. Hopefully HikarI first bites will be small enough for the first day or so!

And the parents are already getting down to business in their nesting site again!
Congrats! If you have a sponge filter, you can squeeze it into a container, let it settle, and take the water above the gunk and feed it to the tank. That will have useful quantities of infusoria in it. Chances are the fry hatched earlier but either did a good job hiding or did not become free swimming immediately.

Gudgie

Congrats! If you have a sponge filter, you can squeeze it into a container, let it settle, and take the water above the gunk and feed it to the tank. That will have useful quantities of infusoria in it. Chances are the fry hatched earlier but either did a good job hiding or did not become free swimming immediately.
They’re still in the established tank, so hopefully there’s a bit of infusoria in there. Otherwise I could squeeze out the sponge from my filter intakes; I don’t have a separate sponger filter.

Before I went to bed last night I checked on them, and could still see them in the nest on the driftwood. So definitely not free swimming any earlier than this, but I don’t know how long their wiggler stage is.

This is the first time I’ve had any fish with fry or even eggs, so I’m excited to see how this goes!

Gudgie

Unsurprisingly, I suspect the adults ate most/all of the fry. I spotted one this morning, but haven't seen any this afternoon. I suspect it was mostly the female, as she's out and about while the male is back in the nest. Maybe I'll get lucky and there's still 1-2 hanging out in the plants.

On the bright side, the male is now fanning a second batch of eggs. So I think this time, I will move the eggs or fry to my soon-to-be free 10 gallon QT tank.

What do people recommend for moving the fry vs eggs? I can't move the whole nest easily (I'd have to pull out the entire piece of driftwood). Should I net or suck out the fry once free swimming? Or is it possible to remove the eggs with tubing or a pipette?

Joshaeus

Could you move the parents? Fry are more sensitive to changing/poor water parameters, or simple physical trauma from being moved.

Gudgie

Fry #2 are free swimming as of today! Unfortunately, I had not netted the parents out yet, so I'm guessing they already ate some. Counted at least a handful still!

Successfully netted out the female...still trying to get the male without disturbing the tank too much. Edit: got him too; just needed to get a second net to corral him.

Gudgie

About two months in, and I still have ~10 fry surviving from the Mar 25 batch. Possibly more than ten, but that's all I've been able to reliably count at one time. They're way bigger than when first hatched, but still tiiiiiny! I think the largest is still a bit less than 1cm long. Some of them are finally starting to develop the black spot on their caudal fin. Hard to get good pics with my phone, but here are a couple.

I'd like to move these guys out of the 5 gallon they're currently in to my 10 gallon tank soon - that's the tank I intended for fry, but it's where the parents currently are. Looks like the parents are thinking of spawning soon again, so once they've laid eggs (and the female clears out of the nest) I may swap the adult female with the older fry. Then I can move the adult male one the fry hatch and he's off care duty.

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to move the babies. Currently options are turkey baster, syphon hose, net, or trying to herd them into a small container that I can scoop them out with (this seems like the best option - least risk of hurting them). Admittedly, I'm not looking forward to catching them given the plants and tight quarters!

e_watson09

Wow congrats on the fry! Please keep posting them as they grow! I'd love to see

Gudgie

Today's the day I'm finally moving the older fry to the 10 gallon to grow out, and the parents back to their original 5 gallon! These are the fry that were free-swimming as of March 25th, so they're just over two months old. Thankfully, the eight remaining fry were much easier to catch than I'd anticipated. I was able to corral 1-2 at a time with a net in order to scoop them into a small tupperware container. Fairly confident I got all of them, as I've reliably counted eight every time I've fed lately. Pics below. They're still tiny - I knew they grew slowly, but sheesh!

This is the largest of the eight, and is probably about a cm in length:

Attempted to get them in focus is hard...

In other news, a new batch of fry are just starting to free-swim in the 10 gallon today - which is why I wanted to move the parents ASAP (they ate the previous batch again). The older fry are still small enough that I doubt they'll nom on the younger ones. I've moved the female already, and I'll move the male as soon as he finishes guard duty. I've been able to watch some of these fry as they suddenly free-swim from the nest (that was so cool!), so I imagine the male will be ready to move later today or tomorrow. If the plant where the nest is shifts, I'll see if I can get a pic later (of course they used an anubias leaf as a nest, not the PVC pipes or driftwood in there).

Joshaeus

Congrats! I am not sure I'd trust the bigger fry with the newcomers...I do not know how big the new fry are, but older fry of countless species are frequently very willing to eat their smaller/younger siblings.

Gudgie

Congrats! I am not sure I'd trust the bigger fry with the newcomers...I do not know how big the new fry are, but older fry of countless species are frequently very willing to eat their smaller/younger siblings.
Well, not the end of the world if this happens (though I hope it doesn't). Not trying to raise these for profit at least, just for fun - never had any fish with fry before these. I know the parents would definitely eat the young ones, and quite possibly eat the older ones, so I'll have to take my chances. Unfortunately don't have another tank besides these two that I can use, and no divider handy. I may order a divider for future use though.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll try getting a breeder box to hang in the 10 gallon. Hopefully I can scoop/siphon the little ones into it, so it'll be easier to monitor them eating and clean up after them.

Gudgie

Not the best pic, but here’s a shot of the younger fry with one of the older ones during feeding time today

Gudgie

Well, I think it's time for a loooooooong overdue update.

Unfortunately those younger fry from my last post were all eaten by the older ones, probably to no one's surprise. A bit sad, but it is what it is. At least this has just been a fun side project for me, not something I plan to really profit off of.

Looks like I'm down to just six fry from the older batch (free swimming as of ~3/25). Guessing that the two missing ones went the same way as the younger fry, since there was a significant size difference even amongst the older batch. Of the 6 remaining, one is much bigger than the others - wonder if it's possible he was from the very first batch of fry (FS on March 7th or so). I thought they'd all been eaten, but perhaps one survived in the plants. The biggest is still only about an inch or so, despite being 4 months old - it's the one on the left in this pic.

Anyway, the parents continue to get down to business on a regular basis. I just managed to catch another six fry from the parent tank and moved them into the 10 gallon fry tank. I'm sure the parents ate a bunch before I got to them, since I didn't catch them the day they went free-swimming. But *this* time, I at least made sure to separate them into a breeder box so the older bunch can't eat them. I had to hang the breeder box vertically instead of horizontally due to how I could fit the repurposed pantyhose (holes in the original netting were definitely too big). Should still work I think, especially since there aren't that many fry.

One of these days maybe I'll finally add some 1" PVC to the parent tank - if they decide to use it, I could possibly start moving the nest once I get wigglers. Would make things a lot simpler. My pair have continued to spawn under a piece of driftwood, and moving that really isn't an option.

The male still religiously guards the eggs each time until they're free swimming, which means he's dropped a bit of weight. You can just see his face poking out in this pic:

I'm trying to be better about spot feeding him various frozen foods, since the only way I get him to eat while on guard duty is if I drop the food right in front of his face - he'll rarely leave the nest. Speaking of which, he's guarding yet ANOTHER batch of eggs that were laid yesterday or today. Fingers crossed that I'll catch more than six from this bunch - and get my male to fatten up a bit.

And here are a couple shots of the female:

Gudgie

I finally just managed to get some good pics of the soon-to-be wigglers in the nest! The trick is to remember to borrow my husband's phone, since his has a WAAAAAAY better camera than mine does.

It's been roughly 8-9 days since this batch was laid. I've just highlighted one of my favorite shots here, but there are several attached down below.

Even got a very brief video of him fanning the eggs, with the female in the background.

Now I'm just watching this tank like a hawk so I can catch the fry once they go free swimming, before they get eaten!

Gudgie

*sigh*
Checked the tank this morning, no change. Checked the tank a couple hours ago....and most of the fry have left the nest and the female has a suspiciously bulging belly.

Thus far, I've managed to locate and catch a whopping...two. Hopefully I've simply missed some (and find them), but clearly *someone* had herself a large meal. If I haven't already mentioned, she's been dubbed Ms. Piggy.

Plus there are another 5-10 that haven't left the nest yet - dad is still guarding them and chasing the female away (sadly, probably chased her right to the free swimming babies). Wonder if there's a way for me to detach the remaining wigglers without hurting them.

I've finally cut some PVC and it's going in tonight. Fingers crossed that they'll nest there next time, so I can more easily save the fry.

Edit: I'm up to five six now. No more left in the nest either, though the parents look like they’ll lay eggs again in the next day or so.

Gudgie

My total caught/transferred fry for this batch is now up to 8! Way less than I was hoping, but at least better than the initial two I had.

Sadly, my PVC plan has failed - at least for this next batch. I put in two pieces of PVC, including setting one right up against the old nesting spot, hoping they'd choose to use it. The male definitely wasn't happy I'd blocked his old nest site. And now, they've chosen to nest on the opposite side of the driftwood, where I can no longer easier see them. So I still can't easily move the nest, unfortunately. If he keeps up his driftwood preference, maybe I can try adding in some tiny driftwood pieces in the hopes that he'll use one of those as an alternative.

On another note, my fry tank will soon be upgraded from a 10 gal to a 20 long, once my husband is done building the new stand for it. I'm looking forward to the bigger space!

Update: they actually haven't laid new eggs yet, from what I can tell. Both were back out and about, and the female is the same size as before. Perhaps there's still hope they'll choose the PVC. Also decided to unblock the original nest site, since at least I can observe that spot.

Gudgie

Yup, they officially rejected the PVC and ended up laying eggs on the opposing side of the driftwood a day or so after I posted last. Oh well, guess I'll be trying to catch fry from their tank again in a week or so.

I don't want to remove their driftwood from the tank, but I wonder if there's a way to make the PVC more enticing next time.

Gudgie

Well, they broke their pattern - there were new free-swimming fry tonight! Couldn’t have been more than nine nights tops, this time. Glad I happened to check their tank an hour ago. I’ve managed to catch and transfer 36 53 fry so far, and I know there’s another handful I haven’t managed to grab yet. The parents are staying out of the way ready to nest again, so that helps.

Much better than I’ve managed lately!

Now I just need to start hatching some BBS ASAP!

Gudgie

Caught and transferred another 19 fry - bringing my total up to 72 for this batch!

Gudgie

Update - my pair laid eggs yet again around 8/26, but this time they used the PVC pipe! I'm so happy i won't need to spend hours carefully catching baby fry this time! I think I'll give it another day or two, and then move the pipe into a breeding net with an air line in my fry tank. I think they could hatch any day now, but they definitely did not appear to be in a wiggler stage yet.

My large batch of 72 from 8/19 still seem to be doing great as well! Can't tell how many I still have, but I think it's most of them! They're finally accepting dry foods as well, which means I'm less reliant on live BBS until this next batch is ready for them.

Hopefully I'll get some updated pics of all the fry over the next couple of days, though it's hard to see the younger ones since they're in breeder nets currently.

I can't wait until I have the 20g long set up for fry instead of my current 10 gallon, though that's sadly on hold until we finish redoing our basement floor thanks to water damage. This is one of the few times I'm thankful that they grow so slowly - the tank isn't overwhelmed at all yet.

Gen120

the last picture of the fry is about how big mine are now. They are in a breeder box hanging on the side of the current tank. So should I get another tank like a 2 gallon betta and move them eventually? They are still teeny tiny tiny. What can I put under the breeder box to see how many I have? The fry and the bottom of the breeder box are both translucent. The only thing I saw is the eyes on the fry that's how I first noticed them lol!

Gudgie

the last picture of the fry is about how big mine are now. They are in a breeder box hanging on the side of the current tank. So should I get another tank like a 2 gallon betta and move them eventually? They are still teeny tiny tiny. What can I put under the breeder box to see how many I have? The fry and the bottom of the breeder box are both translucent. The only thing I saw is the eyes on the fry that's how I first noticed them lol!
Hah yeah they’re so hard to see at first! You could try holding something white against the box (piece of plastic, index card, etc.) and see if that makes them easier to count. The only reason I know I had 72 was because I had to catch them one by one to move them from the parent tank to the fry tank. It took hours - so glad the parents used a pvc nest this time instead.

I decided to move the nest tonight to play it safe. Took awhile to get Glutton to leave the nest, but eventually he did. He’s now sitting in a second PVC pipe that I put in place of the nest, and still seems to be fanning. Guessing he’ll call it quits by tomorrow, but I kinda feel guilty after taking his eggs away lol.

I think a few eggs were knocked loose in the process, but the rest stayed in the nest which I added to the breeder net containing the 8/19 fry. I have an airline running through it - hopefully it’s providing enough aeration without knocking things around too much.

I’ll see what things look like tomorrow - hopefully all goes to plan!

belveder69

I had these a few years ago and loved them but was a bit inexperienced but have been looking for them for about a year or so with no success. This has been a very interesting read thanks

Gudgie

Months later, I figure I should report back - I've ended up with 7 surviving offspring, 6 of whom are from the original batch of fry I moved back in May! As far as I can tell, looks like one male and six females. I think I may have slowed their growth due to infrequent water changes (due to 6 months of basement construction, where the tanks are), but they otherwise seem healthy! And now that our basement is done, it'll be a lot easier to manage water changes.

I want to keep the male, but I will likely try to sell some/all of the females soon. With so few, I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle of attempting to ship or not (never shipped out fish before). May see if anyone is interested locally first.

Parents are still occasionally spawning, though I haven't attempted to rear recent batches. But they look like they're going to spawn again in the next couple of days, so perhaps I'll try to raise the newbies.

BigManAquatics

They had some pretty young ones at my LFS the other day....almost missed them they were so small! Glad you got surviving fry! Still waiting to set my tank up so i can get my gudgies...

Gudgie

They had some pretty young ones at my LFS the other day....almost missed them they were so small! Glad you got surviving fry! Still waiting to set my tank up so i can get my gudgies...
Considering this was my first attempt to breed or raise fish, plus lots of house and other pet drama, I'm just happy I had these ones survive! Now perhaps I can improve from here. Hoping to try breeding a pair of bettas soon - hopefully I can get better than 7

BigManAquatics

Considering this was my first attempt to breed or raise fish, plus lots of house and other pet drama, I'm just happy I had these ones survive! Now perhaps I can improve from here. Hoping to try breeding a pair of bettas soon - hopefully I can get better than 7
Gudgies are really the only fish i want to sort of purposely attempt to breed...mainly because they can be difficult to find around here at times...and i just think they are really pretty! And maybe some BN pleco's one day too...if i end up with a breeding pair of like super green dragons or super reds or something. Betta breeding feels over-done to me, but more power to you!! We all have our own goals!

Gudgie

Gudgies are really the only fish i want to sort of purposely attempt to breed...mainly because they can be difficult to find around here at times...and i just think they are really pretty! And maybe some BN pleco's one day too...if i end up with a breeding pair of like super green dragons or super reds or something. Betta breeding feels over-done to me, but more power to you!! We all have our own goals!
I'll hopefully try to raise my next batch of gudgie fry too

BigManAquatics

I'll hopefully try to raise my next batch of gudgie fry too
How many gudgies did you start out with? I am hoping for 6-8 initially, with hopefully 50% male/female ratio

Gudgie

I just have a single pair. I've had the female for about a year, and the male for 15-18 months (can't remember exactly when I got him).

Now that I have grown offspring, I'm going to keep the male from the babies and probably buy 2-3 unrelated females once I move them all (plus the original parents) to a 20g long. So then I'll end up w/ 5-6 total. Though this is definitely just a fun side hobby - not trying to raise a ton of fry, just love having peacock gudgeons.

yukondog

I've tried gudgies before and they have no trouble breeding, but I could never keep the fry alive, what are you feeding the wigglers to keep them eating?

Gudgie

I've tried gudgies before and they have no trouble breeding, but I could never keep the fry alive, what are you feeding the wigglers to keep them eating?
I used live BBS. I also had some plants and an established filter with them, so there should be some naturally occurring infusoria present as well. I did have some Hikari first bites, but I'm not sure how well they ate that initially.

Also had to separate the fry from the parents, since otherwise the fry would always "suspiciously" disappear

yukondog

The parents are good at eating them and normally I would remove them but could never get them to eat. I might try them again, the BBS I hatch now is about half the size of the first ones I had before.

Gudgie

Well, disaster struck. The heater in the fry tank malfunctioned - the temp was 92F when I checked! I immediately unplugged the heater and did a small water change to start dropping the temp. Currently have it down to about 85F. Continuing to do a series of small changes so that I don’t shock them too much on the way down.

I’m very sad to report that the only young male I had died - he was the only fish I had from the very first batch of fry, and the one I definitely planned to keep.

As sad as I am about him, I’m thankful that thus far he’s been the only mortality. The rest of the young gudgeons plus the two young super red BN plecos I’m growing out seem okay thus far. Fingers crossed that everyone continues to pull through. I’ll count myself lucky if the male turns out to be the only death.

I suppose the other thing is that if the heater was going to malfunction, I’m thankful it happened now, instead of after I moved it to our new 20 long (which will have more fish than this tank). I’d been planning to do so possibly as early as this weekend. Needless to say, I’m purchasing new heaters ASAP.

Nothing much to report on the parents - they’ve been on a breeding lull, and I haven’t made any attempt to do anything with their eggs the last couple times. They’ll also be moving into the new 20 long soon.

Gudgie

In happy news, I didn’t lose any fish besides that one! Everyone has continued to do well, so I trust they’ll be fine at this point.

Also, I’m fairly sure I do have one more male growing out. He was smaller than the other and likely sub-dominant due to that, but looks like he’s gaining a bit of the male head shape and losing his black stripe. Happy that means I have another boy to keep!

BigManAquatics

I stumbled upon a video the other day about gudgie breeding and it brought you to mind

Gudgie

I wonder if they had any particularly good tips. Not that I’m purposely breeding right now, but it’d be fun to raise another batch or two. Perhaps I’ll aim for a third generation.

Gudgie

Turns out I did still have one male youngster, plus 5 girls. They're now all living in my 20 gallon long, though I may re-home a couple females soon.

Unfortunately I ended up losing Glutton, my adult male (father of the youngsters), this past week before I could move him into the 20 long. He'd been looking a bit off recently, possibly due to old age. There hadn't been any changes to the tank and parameters fine. Found him nearly dead w/ his tail all ripped up (presumably thanks to the female), and unfortunately he wasn't able to recover.

The adult female still looks great though, and she's now in the 20 long w/ her offspring. She's the biggest in the photo - second from the left on the bottom.

Hoping that I can add another male in the near-ish future - would love to raise another generation if they decide to breed in the 20 long! Though even if they don't breed, they're still my favorites

Edit: forgot to mention, I haven't seen the younger male for a few days. He seemed like he was getting into a breeding mode and scoping out nesting sites in the rocks, so I'm *hoping* that means he's just guarding some eggs. While a sibling cross isn't my preference, their parents were certainly unrelated at least.

BigManAquatics

Turns out I did still have one male youngster, plus 5 girls. They're now all living in my 20 gallon long, though I may re-home a couple females soon.

Unfortunately I ended up losing Glutton, my adult male (father of the youngsters), this past week before I could move him into the 20 long. He'd been looking a bit off recently, possibly due to old age. There hadn't been any changes to the tank and parameters fine. Found him nearly dead w/ his tail all ripped up (presumably thanks to the female), and unfortunately he wasn't able to recover.

The adult female still looks great though, and she's now in the 20 long w/ her offspring. She's the biggest in the photo - second from the left on the bottom.

Hoping that I can add another male in the near-ish future - would love to raise another generation if they decide to breed in the 20 long! Though even if they don't breed, they're still my favorites
Really loving my gudgies, as well! Haven't got all of them sexed, bit 100% positive on at least 2 femalea and 1 male. Haven't looked closely at the other 4 yet for a bit

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gudgie
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
alykat