Peacock Gudgeon Stocking (Peacock Goby)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Yeoy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Morning all!

I am planning my new 4ft long (60gal) that should be set up around Christmas time (how convenient!)

I stumbled across the Peacock Gudgeon at a LFS and am absolutely fascinated by them! From what I have read they love little caves, are generally quite peaceful and have great personalities. They MAY be picky eaters depending on how they were raised but I can work around that!

I am thinking of the following stocking...

12 Emperor Tetras
    6 Peacock Gudgeons (2M 4F)
    6-10 Corys (a small variety, suggestions?)
    12 Harlequin Rasboras

Any other suggestions for a compatible tank-mate? I am trying to keep with lots of smallish peaceful fishies!

Thanks guys and girls!

2. Fishyboy05Valued MemberMember

Looks like a great stock! As for the Cory's, I'd do 7 Pygmy or Julii Cory's.
    As for the tetras and rasboras, I'd cut down to around 9 or 10. That way you'd have room am for a few center pieces. I'd do 1 angel and 1 apistogramma
    So here's your stocking that I would suggust

8 harqualine rasboras
    10 tetras
    6 peacock gudgeons
    7 Pygmy or Julii Cory's
    1 apistogramma
    1 angelfish(or a blue gourami)

3. OP
    OP
    Y

YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I don't know about a centrepiece. An angel could harass/eat smaller tetras too? I wouldn't mind JUST schools of fish.

Am I stocked well now, or could I fit more schools in the footprint?

I will probably throw some RCS and ramshorns in as cleanup and live food for peacocks too.

4. Fishyboy05Valued MemberMember

Well even if you don't want centerpiece, I still would consider a small solitary fish. Mabye a swordtail? You could do
    10 tetras
    8 rasboras
    1 swordtail
    7 Cory's
    6 peacocks
    And because you are only doing small fish, you could add either guppies, or Mabye you could cut down by 1 on the tetras, Cory's, and rasboras and add another school of 6 cherry barbs or neon tetras.

5. OP
    OP
    Y

Swordtails, good idea! Guppies would be a good addition too. Woth your numbers, is 8 guppies a good amount? 3m 5f?

6. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do an odd number of cories. They'll get along better if you have more, and an even number- it evens out the pecking order. Try for 10 cories. They're cute, and I don't think you'll regret having a lot of them.

7. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I mayyyy be wrong but I thought Peacock Gudgeons preferred to be in pairs? I remember looking at em a while back.

8. OP
    OP
    Y

I have read that too, but with a big enough tank and a good male/female ratio I think a small school works out well, from what I have read. I will still check with the guy who owns them first since he is quite knowledgeable about them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice