Peacock Gudgeon Stocking (Peacock Goby)

1. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Morning all!

I am planning my new 4ft long (60gal) that should be set up around Christmas time (how convenient!)

I stumbled across the Peacock Gudgeon at a LFS and am absolutely fascinated by them! From what I have read they love little caves, are generally quite peaceful and have great personalities. They MAY be picky eaters depending on how they were raised but I can work around that!

I am thinking of the following stocking...

12 Emperor Tetras
    6 Peacock Gudgeons (2M 4F)
    6-10 Corys (a small variety, suggestions?)
    12 Harlequin Rasboras

Any other suggestions for a compatible tank-mate? I am trying to keep with lots of smallish peaceful fishies!

Thanks guys and girls!

2. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

Looks like a great stock! As for the Cory's, I'd do 7 Pygmy or Julii Cory's.
    As for the tetras and rasboras, I'd cut down to around 9 or 10. That way you'd have room am for a few center pieces. I'd do 1 angel and 1 apistogramma
    So here's your stocking that I would suggust

8 harqualine rasboras
    10 tetras
    6 peacock gudgeons
    7 Pygmy or Julii Cory's
    1 apistogramma
    1 angelfish(or a blue gourami)

3. OP
    OP
    Y

I don't know about a centrepiece. An angel could harass/eat smaller tetras too? I wouldn't mind JUST schools of fish.

Am I stocked well now, or could I fit more schools in the footprint?

I will probably throw some RCS and ramshorns in as cleanup and live food for peacocks too.

4. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

Well even if you don't want centerpiece, I still would consider a small solitary fish. Mabye a swordtail? You could do
    10 tetras
    8 rasboras
    1 swordtail
    7 Cory's
    6 peacocks
    And because you are only doing small fish, you could add either guppies, or Mabye you could cut down by 1 on the tetras, Cory's, and rasboras and add another school of 6 cherry barbs or neon tetras.

5. OP
    OP
    Y

Swordtails, good idea! Guppies would be a good addition too. Woth your numbers, is 8 guppies a good amount? 3m 5f?

6. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do an odd number of cories. They'll get along better if you have more, and an even number- it evens out the pecking order. Try for 10 cories. They're cute, and I don't think you'll regret having a lot of them.

7. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I mayyyy be wrong but I thought Peacock Gudgeons preferred to be in pairs? I remember looking at em a while back.

8. OP
    OP
    Y

I have read that too, but with a big enough tank and a good male/female ratio I think a small school works out well, from what I have read. I will still check with the guy who owns them first since he is quite knowledgeable about them.