Peacock Gudgeon, Sick Or About To Spawn?

Filmpunk18

Tank
20 gallon tall
1.5 months
Aqueon quietflow 50
Heater set at 78 degrees F

Stocking list:
5 cherry barbs
3 black het rasboras (new on 4/4/19)
2 peacock gudgeons (new on 4/4/19)

Maintenance
25% water change weekly
Seachem Prime
Gravel vac weekly

Parameters
Cycled
API master test kit
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

pH: 8
GH: 11
KH: 7

Feeding
A pinch of aqueon flake food 5 days a week
1/2 cube of Omega 1 frozen blood worms 2 days per week.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
9 days

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
8 days ago

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Peacock Gudgeon has Swollen abdomen

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Not specifically, but the tank has been dosed with seachem kanaplex for early signs of fin rot on 1 rasbora and kordon ich Attack to treat ich on all rasboras (all rasboras and gudgeons were purchased at the same time and housed in same tank @ the lfs) I did not have quarantine tank at the time but have purchased a 5 gallon QT since.)

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
The gudgeon did have a swollen abdomen but I didn't think much of it initially thinking it may have just been sexual dimorphism. The rasboras did have signs of ich at the lfs, noticed early symptoms of fin rot on 1 rasbora the following day.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Aside from swollen abdomen, appearance and colors seem normal. Behavior seems normal, swims normal, explores mid and lower levels of tank, seeks out food, then constantly scavenges gravel and filter intake sponge looking for left overs, interacts with other gudgeon.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
When I got the gudgeons I noticed one had a slightly swollen abdomen compared to the other, wasn't sure if this might have just been a difference between male and female. I'm honestly not sure if I have a male & female or which is which if I do. However the abdomen does appear larger than before, and I'm wondering if it is a female is she getting ready to lay eggs or is this something I should try to treat with API general cure? I've attached pics, including one with both gudgeons together, the rest are simply the fish with the swollen abdomen.

Attachments

• 20190413_171923.jpg
    20190413_171923.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190413_172548.jpg
    20190413_172548.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20190413_172839.jpg
    20190413_172839.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190413_172119.jpg
    20190413_172119.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 76

Filmpunk18

Ok, so as of this morning both peacock gudgeons are MIA, i've looked at the tank from every angle and cannot find either one anywhere in the tank. No bodies floating, no bodies on the bottom of the tank, or stuck to filter intake. I have the tank covered with a piece of plexiglass and the only opening is a gap for my HOB filter with about a 2" gap to the side where I have pothos growing out of the tank. Really didn't think they could make it out with the roots growing below this gap and the plant itself creating a blockage above, but I checked the floor all around the tank and still no fish. Even if they did what are the chances they both jumped out at the same time? All I can think is they found a "cave" to spawn in that I am unaware of... I have a large piece of spider wood in the tank that they may have found a opening in. I also have a piece of Mexican pot rock in the tank that they may have found a void inside of... either that or they found a gap between the gravel and one of pieces of decor, but for now I'm assuming they have found an unknown place to spawn. Will update when they turn up (or if they don't.)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
lunanightlock
Replies
Views