Peacock Gudgeon ... lonely?

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a pair of peacocks and I think sometime a few months ago I lost one. I would not say the two of them were exactly interactive with each other, but they were usually out and about swimming around. But one seems to have died / vanished and the remaining one now spends pretty much 100% of it's time hiding in a little cave area and never comes out. I'm contemplating getting a 2nd one again to keep it company, but from searching around it seems like they're generally ok alone and might fight if I end up with two of the same sex.

Should I just let him (or her) be and live his life as he chooses in his little cave, or try getting a friend?

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am no expert on this species, but I will try to help...how big is the tank? Is there anything else sharing the tank with the surviving gudgeon? And how recently did the second gudgeon die? (If the survivor is a male they may have spawned prior to the death of the second gudgeon and 'he' (?) could be guarding eggs/fry)

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's hard to say how long it's been gone. It's a 40 gallon tank and well planted so fish can hide, I have no idea how many cories I have for example because I never see them... The tank also has some zebra danios, cardinal tetras, a twig catfish and the aforementioned unknown quantity of cories.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom