Peacock Gudgeon - Dropped Tail? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by drabina, Apr 15, 2018.

1. drabinaValued MemberMember

I have a question for fellow fishkeepers that know a bit about Peacock Gudgeons. My kid wants to get one and LFS has only one currently available. I think it is a male since it has no hump. Anyway, this PG is pretty small (about 1" now; maybe a bit more). The question I have about the fish is that her's tail is noticeably dropped. To me it doesn't look natural but maybe PGs do look like that.

It is not my photo but the tail of the fish in LFS is even more dropped than this one:
    s-l400.jpg

Is that normal?

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I used to have one of these fish, but it disappeared in October.
    Do you mean the tail is droopy? Could you get a photo of the fish at the store?

3. OP
    OP
    d

drabinaValued MemberMember

I didn't take the photo. The fish was hanging in the back of the tank so it would be blurry anyway. Yes, the tail looks like it is droopy. For a short period of time when the fish swims, the tails gets straight but the moment, the fish stops and floats in one place, the tail goes down (kinda looks like a boomerang shape). Way to low in my opinion based on the photos I have seen but I am not an expert.

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I experienced that when I had mine, it's just because the fish stops moving, and relaxes its fins.
    I'd say it's fine if it still eats, and looks healthy.

5. live4wetsleeves

live4wetsleevesWell Known MemberMember

I currently have one and I've not personally noticed this with mine but it very well could be normal. When it comes to a fish's health in the store, I usually wait until they get fresh fish in, especially if it's a chain store like Petco or Petsmart. If you're worried you could wait a week or so until they get a new bunch in. If his tail isn't melting or anything it may just add character, so it's really just up to you! They are extremely fun fish to keep. Pretty active and VERY curious. Mine is always exploring and staring at random things around the tank, examining them like a pufferfish. Beautifully colored too obviously.

6. OP
    OP
    d

My kid and I went back to the store yesterday. The clerk told us that in his opinion, the tail is a bit crooked but he assured us that otherwise the fish is healthy. My kid did not want to leave it alone with four sharks in the aquarium so we brought her home. So far, she is pretty shy. Hopefully, that's only temporary. Once we couldn't find her anywhere in his small tank. It turns out it was hiding behind the heater. Today the fish "sits" on top of the driftwood branches and I joke to my kid that it is pretty smart fish if she can climb trees. :)

7. live4wetsleeves

Jokes aside, they really do seem to be intelligent little fish! They are a little shy depending on the temperaments of their tank mates. It took mine a day or two to warm up to everyone but once he did, he was going nuts showing off his color to my gouramis and everyone else. Very funny little personality. I forget he's in there some times to be honest, he likes to explore as I said before and so he'll disappear into the rocks and plants for a while and then come back out. I love him, he reminds me of how much I want to set up a marine tank!

8. OP
    OP
    d

Unfortunately, the peacock gudgeon is not doing very well. It is very anemic and has trouble swimming. Not sure if it is due to the stress of moving between tanks or something else. LFS told us that we can bring him back but my kid wants to keep him because he knows that the LFS will just let him die.

9. live4wetsleeves

Well that's a bummer! I guess if you aren't going to take it back then just keep an eye on him. If he's not doing well, moving it to your LFS would probably kill it anyway. If he passes, I assume your LFS has at least a 30 day return policy so you can get a new one. I've had fish become lethargic and have no appetite during the readjustment phase of being introduced into a new tank. Hopefully he'll bounce back over the next day or two!

10. OP
    OP
    d

My LFS can take him back only when he is still alive. But like you said, moving him again will most likely kill him as he is very weak. It looks like his days are numbered though I would love to see him get back on his feet and get better.

11. live4wetsleeves

Well that's odd... Your LFS sounds like a pain. Anywho, he would likely pass shortly after being moved, that's more what I was thinking. How far of a drive is it to your LFS? A short drive would maybe mean he passes after you've given him back but if it's a long drive it may not be worth the risk. It stinks that he isn't doing well, I know those PG's aren't super cheap.

12. sloughdog

sloughdogWell Known MemberMember

Can you post a picture? Typically they are pretty active fish.

13. OP
    OP
    d

The drive is about 30 minutes but I do not want to put more stress on the fish. LFS is not going to do much about him anyway besides give me credit for another fish so he is to stay in our tank.

Here is the photo we took while the PG wasn't hiding.

pg.jpg

14. LongIslandFishGuy

LongIslandFishGuyValued MemberMember

I would not purchase that fish. It is definitely either sick or it has a birth defect... Poor guy :oops:

15. live4wetsleeves

Agreed, that was my first thought when OP mentioned he was laying on the driftwood. Mines only ever laid on something when he's sleeping at night. dbd672d24f93984e18f50edbf5d4ae7e.jpg That's my little dude right after I got him. He's about half an inch longer now and his color has filled out more.

16. OP
    OP
    d

I just got a text from my son that the fish died. I kinda assumed that it had a birth defect with the hanging tail but we wanted to "adopt" it anyway. Sadly, it only made thru two nights in our tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice