Peacock Eel Specific Tankmates

ThatOneZooGuy

Hello!

Alright, so I am considering upgrading to a 55 gallon (mostly) SE Asian Aquascape, and am considering getting a peacock eel. I plan on planting the tank, and giving plenty of hiding spots along with a mostly fine grain sand substrate. My issue arises with it being a community tank. I already have peacock gudgeons, Pearl Gourami, and Panda Corydoras. I also plan on getting Vampire Shrimp and Galaxy Rasboras with the upgrade. Would there likely be issues with adding a peacock eel to this community? Thank you for any input!

Passionfish

I'm pretty sure the peacock eel will try to eat literally everything in your tank. Panda cories are quite small and the eel will choke on one trying to eat it. I do not recommend getting a Peacock eel for your community tank. Galaxy rasboras would just be a snack to him. You may think eels are slow, but I have an American eel, and he can catch a zebra Danio in less than 10 seconds after he locks on his target. He once ate all the fish I put in his tank in one night, which was 10 zebra danios, and I never put fish in his tank again. I thought they would look good with him and they would be too fast for him to catch, but I was super wrong. If you upgrade to a 55 gallon, you could get some Red-tailed/Rainbow sharks, or some fair-sized fish from Southeast Asia. If your tank right now is 20+ gallons, and you really want a peacock eel, I say move all your fish to the 55 gallon, keep your original tank, and put a peacock eel in there by itself.

ThatOneZooGuy

Thank you for the information, I think after what you said as well as a bit further research I’ve grown concerned with the peacock eel, especially around my peacock gudgeons, so I think I will look for a different “oddball” bottom feeder. I’m considering Weather Loach which are quite interesting looking with unique behavior.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
shadowfish
Replies
Views
Filmpunk18
Replies
Views
live4wetsleeves
Replies
Views