Peacock eel questions?

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Huskiesandfishies, Aug 4, 2015.

1. HuskiesandfishiesValued MemberMember

I've been looking around and have came across the peacock eel, it says they are ideal for a community aquarium and they are peaceful and shy, as long as the fish doesn't fit in its mouth.. How big would the fish need to be for it to be safe with these eels? I am unsure of how big their mouth actually is I have not seen one in person

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I would not say they are ideal for community tanks as they are predators. I would not keep any small schooling fish with one. Angel fish, gourami, bosemani rainbows, severum, most of the less aggressive cichlids could work. And a 55 would probably be the minimum for one.

3. OP
    OP
    H

HuskiesandfishiesValued MemberMember

Are you talking about the macrognathus siamensis?

4. BDpups

That's the one.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Is that website completely wrong then ? :/

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It says ideal for a community aquarium with bigger fish. They give an example of a JD living with it. I would think anything under 3" would be at risk, since the eel can reach 12".

7. BDpups

I think it is. They are nocturnal. And what usually happens is they will start to eat the small fish at night. Next thing ya know your missing fish. If it fits in its mouth it will definitely eat it.

So it that respect, I personally don't consider them a peaceful community fish in the sense that some people might.

I have predatory community tanks. With things like stingrays, arowana, bichirs. So this is not something I would call a peaceful community.

I got the impression you may have thought you could keep them in a small peaceful community. If that's not the case, then I apologize for being presumptuous.

Although if a fish, I'm going to guess is at least 4 inches, should be ok with one. They have tiny mouths. But sometimes stomaches are bigger than their mouths. So even if they can't swallow it doesn't mean they won't kill it.

And the tank size they say is on the small size too. Eels and bichirs that stay around a foot need at least a four foot tank in my opinion. If you were going to keep one by itself a 30 gallon or so may work. But to keep other fish with it, I'd go bigger.

8. OP
    OP
    H

I was trying to figure out which way you had to stock for it, I was unsure how big its mouth is because every fish will swallow another fish if it's small enough to fit in its mouth generally saying anyway. I was thinking a semi aggressive though if I could think of enough fish lol it would give me an excuse to get a gold gourami that I've wanted (suppose to be the most aggressive color?) but would have to find fish that won't straight beat it down but won't let it beat them down either though. It should be over 4 inches too.

9. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Peacock eels are safe with anything over 2" as they have a small mouth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice