Peacock eel in a 10 gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AnthonySharpe, Aug 10, 2014.

1. A

AnthonySharpe New Member Member

Before I get hate, I do realize peacock eels can get about a foot, and a 10 gallon is only about 20in long. I was wondering if a 10 gallon could be like a temporary grow out tank, I'd want the eel to get bigger before it goes into my 55 gallon tank. so could a 10 gallon be a temp grow out tank?

2. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't see a problem with a 10 gallon being a grow out tank as long as the eel is being cared for correctly.

3. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

I am not even close to having experience as I have never had any eels before, but I just googled them quick and I read that a 20 gallon tank is recommended for young peacock eels and at least 35g for fully matured eels

4. OP
    OP
    A

Well do you know the growth rate of them?

Oh, well then I'll see about a 20 gallon then. Thanks :3

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  5. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

A 10 will be fine for a little while. I would keep the water very clean. I would do like 3 or 4 , 50% water changes every week. In a 10 gallon that should be quick and easy to do.

If you don't have a tank already, I would get a 20 long to use as a grow out.

6. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

:-D I looked at the title of the thread and had to take a deep breath before I opened it! But thanks for clarifying! I think it really depends on the size of the eel upon coming home. I did some quick searches and found others saying a 20 gallon for growing out juvies so I'm not sure about the 10. But it really does depend on the initial size and how temporary the setup is.

Edit: One of the primary reasons (other than size of the eel) is that it requires pristine and stable water conditions, that are much more difficult to maintain in a smaller tank.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I do understand water quality is easier to maintain in a bigger tank, and thank you all for the advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice