Peacock eel in a 10 gallon?

1. A

AnthonySharpe Valued Member Member

Before I get hate, I do realize peacock eels can get about a foot, and a 10 gallon is only about 20in long. I was wondering if a 10 gallon could be like a temporary grow out tank, I'd want the eel to get bigger before it goes into my 55 gallon tank. so could a 10 gallon be a temp grow out tank?

2. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't see a problem with a 10 gallon being a grow out tank as long as the eel is being cared for correctly.

3. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

I am not even close to having experience as I have never had any eels before, but I just googled them quick and I read that a 20 gallon tank is recommended for young peacock eels and at least 35g for fully matured eels

4. OP
    OP
    A

Well do you know the growth rate of them?

Oh, well then I'll see about a 20 gallon then. Thanks :3

5. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

A 10 will be fine for a little while. I would keep the water very clean. I would do like 3 or 4 , 50% water changes every week. In a 10 gallon that should be quick and easy to do.

If you don't have a tank already, I would get a 20 long to use as a grow out.

6. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

:-D I looked at the title of the thread and had to take a deep breath before I opened it! But thanks for clarifying! I think it really depends on the size of the eel upon coming home. I did some quick searches and found others saying a 20 gallon for growing out juvies so I'm not sure about the 10. But it really does depend on the initial size and how temporary the setup is.

Edit: One of the primary reasons (other than size of the eel) is that it requires pristine and stable water conditions, that are much more difficult to maintain in a smaller tank.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I do understand water quality is easier to maintain in a bigger tank, and thank you all for the advice