Peacock Eel Help

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First my main concern is that I have a planted tank and I have some substrate that may be to rough and big for one. I have
Eco Complete Black Planted Aquarium substrate and its pretty heavily planted, though I do have 1/3 of the aquarium with sand for my hairgrass but I hear that they would probably dig it up. I really love this creature and I am trying to stay on a budget and not have to throw away my $40 worth of substrate but if really needed I could. Anyway I can't find lots of info on sites but I was also wondering what are some good tank mates for it. I was thinking about neons but I feel the eel would eat them and currently I have a rainbow shark and a Clown Pleco with a big piece of driftwood and some dragon rock/ sieryu(?) rock. I also have other plants live big java fern some words and narrow leafs. Sorry for asking here

OP
bnt19

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please respond even for a little advice about peacock eels.

Tomorrow I am rescaping my 55 gallon. Currently I have CaribSea Eco aquarium soil and 10 pounds of neutral ph aquarium sand. I also have dragon rock and sieryu? rock and quite a few plants. For a while I have been very interested in getting a peacock eel. But I have a few unanswered questions that I haven't found by researching online. 1) Is a ph of around 7.4 good? 2) What soil do I need and will mine work (also I know peacock eels uproot plants). 3) I was considering cardinal tetras to go with it because they are bigger than neons but i'm still not sure if they'll be eaten. 4) Will it be okay with a rainbow shark? All my fish in my 29 gallon do great with it so far (I have plecos and they haven't been attacked yet) if those don't work I was also thinking about brilliant raspboras and I was also thinking of getting 4-7 boesemanI / any rainbow fish. Also any good tankmate ideas will be great I am looking for some. 5) Do they need heavy water flow? I have a topfin 75 gallon filter. Should I get a second filter? A bubblestone bar?

Any other advice would be a huge help!

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hiya,

Only one thing I would suggest is make sure you have a good lid on your tank. I know a lot of people say that and you can think “yeah yeah” but my peacock eel which was a beautiful and playful little thing got out of a large tank that had the smallest gap where inflow tube from the filter went in the corner. Escaped and found him next morning on the floor :(

they’re great fish but the whole “escape
Artist” thing is 100% true! :)

good luck

Megha

Reaction score
55 gallon is alright for your peacock ell depending on it's size, 7.4 pH is alright, but best for them is pH level 10. Most of the ells are nocturnal and can't tolerate much sunlight so always introduce caves for them. And put some fine gravel because they always tend to bury and hide under gravel, only sand or clay isn't enough and not needed also. Peacock ells do well with semI aggressive fishes, and they can eat in fishes in smaller sizes compared to them. But they may be also bullied by aggressive fishes. So cardinal tetras won't do good. But plecos and rainbow shark would be alright, rainbows can be aggressive sometimes. Filter is alright, but good oxygen supply and water flow needed. Try to change 30% water once in a month.
Keeping an ell is difficult for even advanced fish keeps. Ells are very sensitive and nocturnal, they don't do very good in aquariums. All my previous ells hadn't survived for more then 3 years even I have done my best for them. Sometimes they may stop eating, and after introducing them in new tank they may not eat at all for a week. And try to feed them in evening or night when they are more active, as if other fishes are present there won't be any food left for the ell as they are slow eaters and have poor eyesight. So avoid fast moving fishes. Add some salt(aquarium) as they are mildly brackish. You may not see your ell during day as they will hide somewhere, try to put driftwood or other plants to reduce sunlight coming to your tank as they are nocturnal. They are prone to bacterial infection as they don't have scales and strong chemicals might even kill them. So think before buying an ell. Ells may even try to escape from your tank

All the best in keep your ell healthy and safe

OP
bnt19

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MelbourneGuy said:
Hiya,

Only one thing I would suggest is make sure you have a good lid on your tank. I know a lot of people say that and you can think “yeah yeah” but my peacock eel which was a beautiful and playful little thing got out of a large tank that had the smallest gap where inflow tube from the filter went in the corner. Escaped and found him next morning on the floor :(

they’re great fish but the whole “escape
Artist” thing is 100% true! :)

good luck
Could you answer the questions I have if you can? Also would Ick guard from "Tetra" kill the eel if there was to be ich? My main concerns are the questions I have and the tank lid. I can make some modifications to the lid to prevent him from escaping cause I'm good with tools.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey Mate,

I'm not really that knowledgeable and you probably have far better idea than me! I don’t know much about one substrate over the other - but for what it’s worth I have Amazonia II and the little fella seemed to like it enough.
BosemanI and angels were fine mates for mine but I didn’t dare have neons or cardinals or kuhlis in case. Slight bigger seemed more prudent.
Mine never uprooted plants but I planted them well (or anchored them) as he would sometimes lay down within the plant - head and tail sticking out of course.
If you’re handy that’s great: I wish I were. I’d knock up some mesh covering or something and get another peacock tomrorow

Megha

Reaction score
Don't use any chemicals to kill ich, use salt or raise the water temperature, that would damage the spores. Chemicals are harmful for eel

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can only give a rough comparison here but my KuhlI loaches have done fine on that substrate. As for tank mates have you considered Barbs? Rosy, Melon, Clown(think these might be aggressive).
Not sure about the medication but for fish without scales it's usually a no go unless it states otherwise, raising the temp is probably your best bet, I've heard Peacock's don't like salt.

OP
bnt19

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I can only give a rough comparison here but my KuhlI loaches have done fine on that substrate. As for tank mates have you considered Barbs? Rosy, Melon, Clown(think these might be aggressive).
Not sure about the medication but for fish without scales it's usually a no go unless it states otherwise, raising the temp is probably your best bet, I've heard Peacock's don't like salt.
I thought some were brackish. Anyway I'm treating my tank with ick guard from tetra, I hadn't noticed anymore ick in a week. How long should I wait until I add him? I can do 50% water changes every day if needed until its gone

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not sure I wouldn't add him while medicating, finish whatever the advised period for the meds is then give it a few days of daily water changes or add Carbon to the filter.
From what i've read it's a myth that they're brackish. Some say they're fine others not. When it's like this i'd rather not risk my fish.

New Threads