Peacock Eel Heavy Breathing?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Reef Ventures, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Reef Ventures

Reef VenturesValued MemberMember

Hey guys. I got my first Peacock Eel today. He's about 7 or 8 inches long and he's been in the water for less than 8 hours. I just wanted to know if this type of breathing is normal for how long he's been in the tank. All parameters are zero and pH is the same as the store was (7.5)
    His breathing is normal paced but he has his mouth open and he just opens his gills a bit further than normal. He did eat about 20 bloodworms tonight too.

2. ChiefBrodyValued MemberMember

Maybe he's got the "itis" from those bloodworms. As a general rule it's best to hold off on feeding until 24hrs after being first introduced to a new tank. Helps with contagions

3. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

What's itis? I know I shouldn't of fed him till tomorrow but I couldn't help myself.

4. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

All of your parameters are Zero???? Is your tank cycled? Normally a small amount of Nitrate is always present in a cycled tank. Using Prime to remove the Ammonia would show all three of your parameters at zero in a new tank?
    Just asking a question...

5. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

The fish is just stressed from being moved! you shouldn't feed fish for 24 hours, but if you did and he ate that's still a good sigh. Try to keep the feedings lite for the next few days, and he should be ok.

6. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

The tank is 8 months old any very well cycled. Nitrate is zero because I waterchanged yesterday and I've stopped adding ferts. The tank also use to be over stocked. (Not anymore though)

7. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Awesome. Good to hear. Once he settles in how often should I feed him? Some places said 2-3 times a week other places said once a day

8. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

Put him on the same feeding schedule as the rest of your fish. I feed 6 days a week with the 7th day fasting. It gives the you and the tank a rest :;bananawater

9. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

Any pictures?

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Prime will NOT make the readings zero.

A cycled tank should still have some nitrates, unless you did a 90+% water change.

How did you acclimate him?

I have always fed my fish within 24 hours of adding them to my tanks, with no issues.

What fish do you have in the tank with him? What size tank?

11. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I dont use prime because it smells so bad. I Use aqua vitro Pemier

12. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I acclimated him by first floating his bag in the water for about 10 or 15 minutes to get it to temperature and I then drip acclimated him over the course of about an hour to get him use to my parameters.

13. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

oh and also hes with 2 angels, 11 kulis, 2 britlenose and the tank is a 55 high. (36" Long, 24"tall 14.2"Deep)

14. ChiefBrodyValued MemberMember

By holding off on the feeding it gives the fish a chance to process any foreign pathogens more fully so as to not introduce them to the tank

15. TexasDomer

How is he doing today?

Yes, the sulfur smell is unpleasant, but it's not that strong and it's very temporary. It will not make your tank smell bad.

If you're doing drip acclimation, you don't need to float the bag. It sounds like you did this right.

The tank will be a little too small for him eventually. Do you plan on upgrading?

That is not at all how it works.

16. ChiefBrodyValued MemberMember

How does it work then? Explain it to me please

17. TexasDomer

Digestion does not prevent fish from "processing foreign pathogens more fully", whatever that means. Eating does not prevent the immune system from working, or we'd really be in trouble. Stress is what causes issues with the immune system, but feeding small amounts, as you normally would, shouldn't stress the fish further; adding them to a new environment is the big stressor, not feeding. Don't overfeed, obviously, because then you could have issues with constipation and bloat.

18. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

The tank will be a little too small for him eventually. Do you plan on upgrading?

These guys only get 35cm (14inches) max.
    This guy that I have is a Lesser Spiny Eel (Macrognathus aculeatus) I've never heard of these getting over 15inches. I also follow a few people whos eels are only 14 inches long.

19. TexasDomer

Yes, but your tank is only 14" wide. You want a tank wider than the fish is long, and your tank is also just over 2x his potential adult length. That doesn't give him much swimming room. Even if he's not a very active fish, he should be in a tank longer and wider than that. A 75 gal (48" x 18") would be much better. I'm very conservative with fish tank sizes, and I believe fish should be in tanks larger than the bare minimum.

20. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Considering that the minimum tank size for these fish is a 30long that seem like way more room than I need (i know more is always better) Plus I can't just go out and buy a 75g for 3 reasons I have no room for it, My parents wont allow it and im 14 with a part time job. I wouldn't be able to find the money for a 75g (im from australia and a 75g is like $200 just for the tank, nothing else)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice