Peacock eel always hiding and not eating

Ckline

Hello, about a month ago i picked up a healthy good looking peacock eel from my LFS, probably an adult about 8 inches or so and had good girth but wasn’t fat. After acclimating it to the tank, the peacock eel explored and seemed to be doing good. The next morning I couldn’t see the eel anywhere in the tank but with the research i did on the eel, it said they naturally burrow into the substrate so I wasn’t too worried since its new to the tank. A couple days later and i still haven’t seen it, i read they’re nocturnal so I’ll also check late at night up to 3am and still haven’t seen the fish come out to scavenge for food. The only time I’ll see the eel is if i sift into the substrate with my fingers disturbing it and it’ll come out but eventually burrow back in. I have malaysian trumpet snails in my substrate so i questioned if it was living off them until I checked on it about a week ago and noticed it was much smaller in size and hadn’t been eating. Doing some research on feeding, i tried a suggestion of burying the food for the eel to smell out and eat on its own. So i tried that, leaving frozen blackworms, krill, or plankton in the substrate to then dig up next morning and check if it had been eaten and it was still untouched. I’ve been trying this for a week leaving it in different spots and nothings worked. Today i disturbed the eel and noticed its still much smaller than when i got it.

The tank is a 75 gal. community, partially planted, i have a light bar on half the tank so one half is much darker. All water parameters are good , nitrates are 40-50ppm, water temperature is from 75-78, gets 1 month filter cleans and 40-50% weekly water changes. Tanks decently stocked i have an estimate of 30-40 fish, and my turtle. The bigger fish of the tank being 6-8 adult yoyo loaches, 2 pictus catfish, and my turtle.

Is this normal behavior for a peacock eel to hide and not wanna eat when adjusting to a new tank? In the LFS I noticed it was hiding in a cave so I’ve recently added one to the dark side of my tank where it burrows, and have called the store up to ask what it was last eating and they just said flakes and pellets that fell to the bottom. Just seeing the eel today and it still looks healthy other than losing weight.
Any help or suggestions to what i can do or about the eel is appreciated thanks

182EA095-C4D1-41FF-ADF2-409EEE0798F3.jpeg
(First day acclimating fish)

Ckline

A month and a half later he finally comes out on his own!

62AC930C-FDE1-4E9F-9B48-C9605215B260.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThatOneZooGuy
Replies
Views
natalia1468
Replies
Views
MONSTER GOBY
Replies