65 Gallon Tank Peacock cichlids

Dan1o

Hi everyone, I have a 240L tank that I want to stock with peacock cichlids. The problem is I’ve never kept them before, are they aggressive enough to need over stocking? Is it best to go for an all male tank? What’s the best decor?
Any help or tips would be great thanks!

LadfromLondon

A quick summary)
1) Yes they should be overstocked
2) Male only reduces aggression and looks better
3) They are open water swimmers so decor isn’t too much of an issue
4) 65G I feel is too small for a Peacock Community, others will chime in too and give their thoughts

Upvote 0

Dan1o

Thanks! How much overstocked are we talking? Yeah I had thought it might be a bit small but then I’d read other places about people having them in a 55g

Upvote 0

MacZ

but then I’d read other places about people having them in a 55g

Not a fan of it and as I'm used to the metric system I still sometimes said here on the forum it might be ok, while it actually isn't. Confusing measurements. Plus even when I convert the volumes, US tanks have different dimensions than what we're used to here.

For Malawi cichlids the volume is less important than the dimensions.
A footprint of 150x60cm is the least you need for Peacocks.

All-male doesn't need overcrowding.

Decoration: ROCKS. Period. Plants may not be eaten but dug up. Sand substrate should be a given. Keep the tank rather dark. Algae are not bad, in a no-plants tank they are actually pretty useful and they are what you find on said rocks in the wild.

Here a quick read for you, you can set the language to English.
Malawi-Guru.de - Basis Informationen - Malawisee Aquaristik

Upvote 0

Dan1o

Thanks very much really appreciate the input, my tank is only 120x60 so I’ll just give up on that idea! Thanks very much for the reading material

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

Mbuna could be a good alternative.

Upvote 0

Dan1o

Definitely worth looking at thanks! I’ve changed tack slightly, and wondering about adding a couple of male apistos (no females) in my 4ft community tank… but have no idea if this would work

Upvote 0

MacZ

Don't, just don't. Apistogramma have a completely different lifestyle from Malawi cichlids. All-Male tanks and overcrowding do not work.
The structures have to be done correct: broken lines of sight in the lower 20cm of the tank, and no way of looking from one side of the tank through to the other side. And even then you have to calculate with 60cm diameter per male territory, so if done right a 120cm tank can house only two male Apistogramma.

Mbuna could be a good alternative.

Maybe a single species tank in that size. But stocking would have to be handpicked and well balanced.

Upvote 0

Dan1o

Maybe a single species tank in that size. But stocking would have to be handpicked and well balanced.

any suggestions on species? It’s not something I want to do right now but just out of interest.

thnks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
65 Gallon Tank Cichlids stocking
Replies
Views
Dan1984
Replies
Views
Hemikyle
  • Question